Incompetent Sony Service Center. Spoilt the phone instead of repairing it!

Nolasco

Disciple
I had a problem with the my Sony Elm j102i fastport connector wherein on connecting the adapter it showed charging but sometime would charge and other times would not. Since I purchased my phone on the 7th of Jul 2011 and it will still under warranty, I went to the authorized Sony service center "SAP Mobile Service Centre" at Chandan Mansion, Dadar W to get the issue sorted and the fastport replaced.
After checking the phone, the technician at the center said that there was liquid damage to the phone. Beside the fact that the phone never got wet, he did not even show me any change in the liquid damage indicator and just said that only the top part of the phone where the fast port connector is presen is liquid damaged but everyhere else the phone is fine. On asking him how he could conclude that, he said there were tiny white dots on the PCB which indicates liquid damage (they may have been microscopic as I could not see anything!) Nevertheless, he said that it would not be covered under warranty and so would cost Rs 750 to repair. I refused this and asked him to assemble the phone and return it to me. This is when the major issue began, besides saying its water damaged which I think could be an excuse they use to not repair phones in warranty - a cousin had an issue with the camera button on his k810i being loose a couple of years back and that time he had taken it to a service center somewhere in Grant road where
they also said it was water damaged!

Anyway, after assembling the phone and switching it on, half the screen was dull white and looked as if it was wet from the inside - there was no issue with the phone at all when I gave it to them besides the fastport being loose. On showing this to them, they said there was a fitting problem and redid it. This time, there was light leakage from around the lcd display on the sides. On pointing this out to them, they said that again the fitting was not done properly. The third time, the light leak on the side was much lesser however the left softkey was very stiff and the "up" on the D Pad as well. While giving it to me, he just said the fitting was done ok but still not properly.
On showing them this, the manager just rudely said that its fine, press it hard and it will work! On explaining to him that thats not the way its supposed to work, he just said sorry take it that way else keep it here for checking and come and collect it in a day or two. I told him that its a fitting problem and that this issue was not there when I got it and so what checking needs to be done and he went on to say that your phone has many problems, leave it to be checked, we cannot help you now etc etc. This entire ordeal took 2.5 hrs and instead of just the phone not charging properly (which would work on fidgeting a bit with the wire), the left softkey and "up" button too is not working properly. To top it up the rude and arrogant behavior by the manager Mr Sandesh Patange.

I eventually just walked out with the phone as it is lest they spoil it further. Its unfortunate that Sony not able to keep service quality levels respectably high and customers have to suffer such situations unnecessarily. Considering they spend so much on marketing, I think they should make a conscious effort to improve their after sales service well. Have written to Sony India too about this. Lets see what they come back saying but do not have any expectations from them.

And to top things off the manager was cheesy enough to tell the technician to update the IMEI on the system and mention that the phone is liquid damaged so that even if I go to another service center, they will not repair it for me! Just goes to show the dismal state of after sales service in India!

Had a far worser experience . Never received my less than 15 days old C905 . I Purchased it 2-3 years ago. It had a problem with earpiece . To my surprise the first time they game it the phone started turning off randomly . Second time i gave it , never received it even after 5 months .Never bothered to ask for it afterwards . Probably they lost it, From that day onward recommended all relatives and friends to stay away from sony .

This really is a very sad state of affairs. I had recently accompanied a friend of mine to a blackberry/HTC service centre and over there too i noticed the technician telling off the customers that your phone is liquid damaged.
I had seen 3-4 customers being given that reason and they were surprised and were insisting that it was not the case. Is this liquid damage a new ploy to get customers to pay for their service??

Sonys are d most mischievous ones in this aspect. Had faced numerous issues with my K750i then with K810i and also with my K850i.

From then decided; no sony ever !

Looks like they are spending more on R&D about how to fool and mistreat customers rather than making their product fail poof. Really sad.

had all this problem along with a faulty keypad on my w350. service centre will always try to dupe you and avoid warranty claims.got my phone repaired for 250 bucks and it is now as good as new.

Omg! You guys are making me worry now :unsure:, I just gave my Xperia Neo V for warranty claim, since it was overheating and turning off.
They have already accepted the fault and taken the phone in and said that it might take ~10 -15 days if its an hardware issue.

Sry thats a bit long post to read in the morning :) but recently a Sony X7 or X9 mobile owner from Nashik approached CNBC Awaz channel with a complaint that in a year his cell phone had to be repaired 4times and each time it took more than a month to return. He asked for a full refund or and upgrade to another Sony Ericsson model by paying the diff. Earlier Sony plainly refused to refund and only agreed to increase the warranty by an extra year. After this episode was aired Sony did a damage control and refunded the entire amount.
Moral of the story.... Keep all communications in mails(to have official proof) and escalate on public platforms such as these channels :)

I think they are using the liquid damage excuse to just escape carrying out repairs under warranty but what is even more concerning is the fact that they could not assemble the phone properly and opening it to check whats wrong inspite of trying thrice! Each time there was some issue or the other and eventually I just took the cell and walked off as they asked to keep it for a couple of days to "check" what error they made in assembling it! I dont think they are trained sufficiently and could just be cost costing by Sony and the likes. Very disappointing experience though.

I do agree that SE sets had plethora of problems, but my Hazel has been problem free till now (1.5 yrs). I got twice software update, once headset changed, and once display changed (under 24 hrs, yeah). For me CC has been pretty good, if not as fast as Nokia Care.

I think its time for a Hindi saying "Laaton ke bhoot baaton se nahi mante." = "People who do not give in to talks, do understand only with kicks." or as Shri Anna Hazare said When tolerance runs out, slapping only option. Spending thousands of hard earned Rupees on these phones and then listening to the cr*p dished out by the Service centre people of these so Called reputed manufacturers is really not good, so approaching to the public media (Channels, Consumer courts) seems to be the only option lately.

My dad always said that they charge so much for even small parts when you go for repair that you just throw the product away after hearing the price .

My dad always said that they charge so much for even small parts when you go for repair that you just throw the product away after hearing the price .
hmm...
Like the EU even India should have a rule/law that states that minimum 2years compulsory and free warranty MUST be provided with all consumer electronic items.
I spent almost a lakh on my TV and video system but all it guarantees me for is 1year... This kind of behavior from CSC of many brands in India really makes the product experience turn from joy to harassment... and not to mention the damage it causes to the brand....
But the blessing in disguise here is the Indian population. The brands have so many customers here that they can afford to neglect some of them and still be in business.

hmm...
Like the EU even India should have a rule/law that states that minimum 2years compulsory and free warranty MUST be provided with all consumer electronic items.
I spent almost a lakh on my TV and video system but all it guarantees me for is 1year... This kind of behavior from CSC of many brands in India really makes the product experience turn from joy to harassment... and not to mention the damage it causes to the brand....
But the blessing in disguise here is the Indian population. The brands have so many customers here that they can afford to neglect some of them and still be in business.

Yes but whats the use even if they extend warranty to two years if all they will do when you actually go to claim the warranty is say that theres liquid damage and so you have to pay for it. In my case, let alone solve the problem, they couldnt assemble the phone properly due to which there is light leakage on the sides from the lcd, couple of buttons are still to press and just realised today that when the screen is totally white there are like some areas which are unevenly lit. Probably also a byproduct of bad reassembly. I should have just abstained from visiting the service center...was a total waste. Am yet to hear back from Sony India.

Approach Mumbai Mirror :) Zee Business and CNBC Awaz.
Mass media is the best communication platform for these big companies. Raise such issues there and make it a bit spicy so that every potential buyer of that product should think 10 times of the horror you faced with that brand.
The reason I mentioned the Nashik guy's issue on the top was the same. The way he put his version of his experience with Sony Ericsson that I would never think of buying a SE mobile. Not any time soon.... :)

If only I had time time to pursue it with the media! I guess it also depends on the particular service center. Had an issue with my K750i and had a good experience with Accel frontline where they promptly replaced the phone on realising it was a board fault. Later on the fastport was loose and they replaced it free without any issues. I guess the big companies go for quantity rather than quality so not all service centers are equal. Dont know what the state of Accel is now as I dealt with them about 5 years back for the K750i issue.

Sony outsources their service which means if you're going to a good centre that they've picked then you're most likely lucky otherwise you're doomed. @OP why are you leaving this at it? Try contacting Sony service managers and explain your problem. Forget help from that service centre, they've totally screwed you over.

Yes I have written to Sony. Am waiting to hear back from them. Even if I approach another service center, I doubt they will understand the problem and will probably charge me to even solve the issues the other service center caused in the first place as those guys updated it on the system that the phone is liquid damaged! So even though its technically still in warranty, they wont honor the warranty. Lets see what reply I receive from Sony.

people keep recommending xperia's, say moto service sucks, but sony service is just as bad. My best friend's Xperia active screen went bust. Almost all service centers daid they would not accept any sony ERICSSON phones, finally found one which did, and there, there to get a ticket, you had to call a 1-800 number, at a place you go to fix your phones. After getting through all that, they took his phone and said he would be sent an SMS update in a week. 2 weeks later no SMS, and the service guys are not responding.

And people still recommend sony over motorola?

Back