India to launch its own DNS service

6pack

ex-Mod
Source: EconomicTimes

The government will soon launch a public domain name system (DNS) server that could protect users from any malware or phishing with enhanced security features as well as faster response time, a senior official of the ministry of electronics and IT (MeitY) told ET.

“We are expecting it to be ready in next three months, and we will be doing a proof of concept (PoC) starting next week,” the official said, adding that the new system would be completely secure and always available with faster response.

If a user inadvertently accesses a malicious or phishing site, the new public system would immediately open up a page or popup to alert the user of such potential threat so that the suspicious resource could be avoided, the official who is aware of the initiative, said.

The new DNS will be placed across the country to minimise outage and would be available round the clock. Users can simply use it by typing the IP number into the Internet browser.

Faster response - pifftt! Looking at how bad BSNL DNS are I doubt this will be better. Why will anyone type dns address in browser window?
I have a feeling it will be used for some other activities like looking at incoming and outgoing tcp connections. What do you think?

If I were to guess, this is coming from national security/defense folks. The news is a sugarcoated (speed blah blah) for public consumption. Most of the DNS infrastructure is currently in the US. Any country that cares about security should have a backup system that can take over in case of a war.

In another news, Russia is going to experiment with cutting off the Internet. Without a DNS, even the locally hosted services would stop working.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/...r/news-story/e3232395041286630fbd08cb10965efc

Which makes me wonder if there are any IXPs in India.

If I were to guess, this is coming from national security/defense folks. The news is a sugarcoated (speed blah blah) for public consumption. Most of the DNS infrastructure is currently in the US. Any country that cares about security should have a backup system that can take over in case of a war.

Not all, however, a majority is surely hosted outside India.

In another news, Russia is going to experiment with cutting off the Internet. Without a DNS, even the locally hosted services would stop working.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/...r/news-story/e3232395041286630fbd08cb10965efc

DNS is surely very important, but I still know of many services which dont use DNS - albeit dwindling number.

Which makes me wonder if there are any IXPs in India.

We have several IXPs here in India....

When you connect BSNL 3G one of the assigned DNS is of google. Such is the competence of our national ISP. They have to do a lot of work to improve their existing infrastructure before venture into new

Its a welcome move IMO. Not sure why people are so negative about it. I expect NIC to maintain and secure it than BSNL. They are just service providers...

I don't want key internet infrastructure to be controlled by the govt. Do you know how much online censorship is happening already?

The present BJP govt is trying to block Reddit as there is a lot of anti BJP sentiment there. They tried to obtain user details without proper reasons and not getting from Reddit. So, they are resorting to unofficial and illegal blockage now on ISP that they can manage.

Subscribers on Jio/Jio Fiber are unable to access the site and Jio's apparent response was that it was blocked on govt orders. It is a straight forward violation of net neutrality rules. They are also blocking VPNs
https://thenextweb.com/in/2019/01/08/indias-massive-jio-carrier-is-blocking-vpn-sites-and-violating-net-neutrality-rules

Anti-BJP sentiments are only on /r/India. Other India related subreddits lean pro-BJP. And it doesn't help that most /r/India mods are straight up d**ks.

Telegram is also apparently being blocked by some ISPs like Jio and Airtel. No circular and no information. Again probably because they refuse to compromise privacy of its users. So no, I definitely don't want Indian govt controlling key Internet infrastructure. They will start blocking everything off.

Back