Car & Bike Indian Cabs Services Feedback Thread (Uber,Ola,Meru Etc)

In Mumbai, on latest version of app, Uber is not showing lightning bolt icon for the surge pricing. If you click fare icon it shows applicable rates for ride but doesn't tells that they reflect surge pricing.
You have to enter the destination upfront and it shows the applicable fare. No break up of fare in receipt.

In Mumbai, on latest version of app, Uber is not showing lightning bolt icon for the surge pricing. If you click fare icon it shows applicable rates for ride but doesn't tells that they reflect surge pricing.
You have to enter the destination upfront and it shows the applicable fare. No break up of fare in receipt.
Same for me in Hyderabad. I believe its happening for iOS app.

^Can confirm its happening in android at hyd too. Had a trip earlier today and it was directly showing me the fare of 700Rs (including surge) whereas normally it costed me 300rs without surge. It was raining heavily so I guess surge was in effect.

Ola was showing me a fare of 680rs for the same trip including surge.

They've removed the surge price feature. It'll be a fixed price now, so no need to pay for traffic delay etc..
The fixed price shown is including surge pricing if any

Uber gets very bad press for surge pricing. So, theyve been looking for ways to impose surge without actually saying surge. So they came up with this "fixed price" system.

But if you see clearly, the "fixed price" changes from time to time aka like surge. for example, yesterday it was showing 700Rs for my trip. So I closed the app for few mins and opened it again. It now showed 340rs aka surge.

Tl;DR Surge is still in effect but sorta hidden by uber.

Recently i shot a email to the Hyderabad RTA about surge pricing. The authority said they were looking in to the issue from the past 1 year and since there are no MV laws to restrict these companies for Cab Exaggerators, They have written to Govt and waiting for reply.
Since Uber is investing so much money in Hyderabad, Looks like Govt is in no mood to act against them or else it'll send a negative message for investors i guess?

^Can confirm its happening in android at hyd too. Had a trip earlier today and it was directly showing me the fare of 700Rs (including surge) whereas normally it costed me 300rs without surge. It was raining heavily so I guess surge was in effect.

Ola was showing me a fare of 680rs for the same trip including surge.
Happened to me few days, was in a hurry and booked cab which didn't show any surge and estimated 150, Ended up paying 185+, Usually its 90-95.

I have taken rides with both Ola and Uber, but my experience was always better in Uber in terms of Driver's Behavior, Driver's Knowledge to use GPS and reach the Pickup Point and Destination etc.

One can easily notice the difference between Ola and Uber drivers. It seems like, Uber drivers have gone through some learning and grooming procedures whereas Ola ones are not.

Indian drivers have decades to go before they are courteous and civil, rather mind their own business. Be it Uber or OLA you will bump into coarse and weird ones.

My experience yesterday night with Ola share

With a foreigner chick who does not speak Hindi, well, at least not much. We discussed movies and language issues. Pretty nice too!

Driver : Akeli rehti hain kya. Mast item hain.

I was like : OK (internally thinking hope she has good security).

Now wondering whether to report to Ola or no. Cant be sure, but felt he was looking at the area and memorizing the place?

Frankly I am against Uber, Ola etc as for the most part they seem to be circumventing laws on taxes, registration etc. So have been trying to avoid them.

My first experience with these cabs happened last week. My office has a any time free cab pick and drop facility. On reaching the cab stand found out there were no cabs at all. Turns out many of the cabbies have been leaving jobs and driving for Ola/Uber etc. So the coordinator had to call an Ola cab for me. He also told me the trip estimate was 250, to be reimbursed later. On reaching home the cost turned out to be 300. On checking the bill, Ola had graciously charged me for extra 3 kms.

Though what really bugs me about this whole operation is - everyone is going to come out in a bad shape once this party is over.
Riders - Normally taxis are an expensive proposition. People used to get one for airports built outside the city or for some special occasion. Nowadays with coupons and free rides its cheap, everyone is booking one left and right. But this money is coming from VCs who want fast growing business without profits. That is not a sustainable business in a long run. Sooner or later coupons will stop and prices will go back being expensive.

Cabbies - These will be the most affected lot. Currently they are being paid huge money out of VC pockets. Again once companies try to move towards a more profitable business, they will stop the "incentives". Once that happens, I am sure these guys will start asking for costlier trips and being in India, some sort of bandhs and strikes.
This will create a negative feedback loop and affect everyone in the end.
So this has come true somewhat. Cab drivers are staging strikes in Kenya and India:
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/599198/ola-uber-drivers-hunger-strike.html
http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis/uber-and-ola-fare-prices-may-go-up-report-365275.html
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ers-directly-instead/articleshow/57441340.cms

Frankly I am against Uber, Ola etc as for the most part they seem to be circumventing laws on taxes, registration etc. So have been trying to avoid them.

My first experience with these cabs happened last week. My office has a any time free cab pick and drop facility. On reaching the cab stand found out there were no cabs at all. Turns out many of the cabbies have been leaving jobs and driving for Ola/Uber etc. So the coordinator had to call an Ola cab for me. He also told me the trip estimate was 250, to be reimbursed later. On reaching home the cost turned out to be 300. On checking the bill, Ola had graciously charged me for extra 3 kms.

Though what really bugs me about this whole operation is - everyone is going to come out in a bad shape once this party is over.
Riders - Normally taxis are an expensive proposition. People used to get one for airports built outside the city or for some special occasion. Nowadays with coupons and free rides its cheap, everyone is booking one left and right. But this money is coming from VCs who want fast growing business without profits. That is not a sustainable business in a long run. Sooner or later coupons will stop and prices will go back being expensive.

Cabbies - These will be the most affected lot. Currently they are being paid huge money out of VC pockets. Again once companies try to move towards a more profitable business, they will stop the "incentives". Once that happens, I am sure these guys will start asking for costlier trips and being in India, some sort of bandhs and strikes.
This will create a negative feedback loop and affect everyone in the end.

Circumventing laws - I am not sure if this means it's a bad thing. Stop buying from Amazon and Flipkart because they were bypassing the distributors and causing losses to the middlemen. Laws should be for the betterment, not for the worser.

Rather than laws which restrict competition, implement a law that these drivers should be paid a daily wage like MNREGA or something - but it should not be so much that if they do nothing, they can comfortably sit at home.

The situation with autos in Andheri is so bad, I am using Ola Auto whenever I get a chance, even though I am paying 50% ie 10 INR extra.

Finally, look at it like bonus or incentives - it stays as long as the company is profitable only. In this case, now that they have to turn profits, they will remove these - it was but obvious. However, the source of these was not shown to the drivers - its like the subprime crisis, when the bubble bursts, you are screwed. So, to better this, we need education.

Finally, Uber and Ola have created jobs, and this is good only. I regularly pool to Andheri when fares are 80 INR or less, and I know someone who does the same for Nariman Point for 150 INR on daily basis.

EDIT - The last line got cut. The person who goes on a daily basis, would be going by train and has a couple of friends. These have started going by cab which earlier they would not have been doing, since they go at different times.

Last edited:
Circumventing laws - I am not sure if this means it's a bad thing. Stop buying from Amazon and Flipkart because they were bypassing the distributors and causing losses to the middlemen. Laws should be for the betterment, not for the worser.

Rather than laws which restrict competition, implement a law that these drivers should be paid a daily wage like MNREGA or something - but it should not be so much that if they do nothing, they can comfortably sit at home.
For one, equating breaking law to cutting out middleman. I can't even think of bigger strawman than that. This is not the same. FYI, middleman in Uber/Ola still exist. They partner with larger "middleman" to hire cabs. Because many of the drivers are poor and they can't really get their own cabs. They actually work for someone who used to rent cabs earlier and now has joined the Uber/Ola network. There are some who have gotten Ola/Uber guarantees and bought their own cars. But their number is not that many in spite of the quora answers of new found Uber riches you might have read.

The situation with autos in Andheri is so bad, I am using Ola Auto whenever I get a chance, even though I am paying 50% ie 10 INR extra.

Finally, look at it like bonus or incentives - it stays as long as the company is profitable only. In this case, now that they have to turn profits, they will remove these - it was but obvious. However, the source of these was not shown to the drivers - its like the subprime crisis, when the bubble bursts, you are screwed. So, to better this, we need education.

Second, you are not the only one living in the city. Everyone, including me, have go through the tyranny of autos. But doesn't mean that people need to support something which in your words will/has lead to "subprime crisis". Because there, just because everyone was getting a house doesn't mean you supported the bank, specially if you knew what was coming. There too lax laws to allowed banks to fool people into buying houses. It was people who were hurt at the end, banks got away with it, so will Uber/Ola too. People should always be encouraged to live within their means, not out of it. We are encouraging people to be the failures of the "marshmallow test".

Third, "it stays as long as company is profitable only". Huh???? Uber/Ola has never been making money ...at all. They rely on external VC funding to fund this excess of coupon filled rides. The hope always is there to build enough customers to go public and then VCs get to cash out. What is happening here is basically they are running out of VCs money to dole them. That was the case with Flipkart, Snapdeal, Leco etc too. The only problem is in those cases, the effected party is the end-middle class customer who forgo buying on increased prices. And the employees who unfortunately don't go on strike and no one asks for an MNREGA type program for them.

Finally, Uber and Ola have created jobs, and this is good only. I regularly pool to Andheri when fares are 80 INR or less, and I know someone who does the same for Nariman Point for 150 INR on daily basis.

Fourth, so jobs have been created because you see people pooling with you? I can't express the WTF-ness in this statement at all. If you would have seen the Nariman point guy in the local train then jobs wouldn't have been created?

My takeaway from your points is basically this - you have a comfort of paying 80rs for the cab while avoiding the rush and jam packed Mumbai trains. So Uber/Ola is good, drivers are good, and eff common sense and everything else. If required even give them a secured government type job to ferry me. Makes me wonder - do we now need a meme like "first world problems".

Last edited:
For one, equating breaking law to cutting out middleman. I can't even think of bigger strawman than that. This is not the same. FYI, middleman in Uber/Ola still exist. They partner with larger "middleman" to hire cabs. Because many of the drivers are poor and they can't really get their own cabs. They actually work for someone who used to rent cabs earlier and now has joined the Uber/Ola network. There are some who have gotten Ola/Uber guarantees and bought their own cars. But their number is not that many in spite of the quora answers of unfound Uber riches you might have read.
Ola/uber themselves have become middleman here. They themselves are leasing cabs directly to drivers and providing finance. Few middleman who rents cabs and employs poor drivers are in worse shape since if they start getting low fares, poor drivers will stop driving and these middlemen get stuck with cars for hire without drivers.

Also uber/ola are thriving just because there exists a need. That need is to avail transport with comfort, convenience and less money than autos/buses offer.

Not defending ola/uber but many laws are formed in olden days during the reign of auto/cab unions and don't really have a place in app based world and need reforms. Then uber\ola will slowly start to get in line. For eg, uber just announced they'll start registering their cabs with california DMVs after not complying with them since many years.

What is the use if Uber complies with California laws where as it operates in India?

I cannot understand your theory. Please throw some light on this.

I am comfortable with Uber or Ola as they are 100 times better than Autos or normal taxis.

We need to see that the services rendered are cheap or not. That's all.

For one, equating breaking law to cutting out middleman. I can't even think of bigger strawman than that. This is not the same. FYI, middleman in Uber/Ola still exist. They partner with larger "middleman" to hire cabs. Because many of the drivers are poor and they can't really get their own cabs. They actually work for someone who used to rent cabs earlier and now has joined the Uber/Ola network. There are some who have gotten Ola/Uber guarantees and bought their own cars. But their number is not that many in spite of the quora answers of unfound Uber riches you might have read.

Second, you are not the only one living in the city. Everyone, including me, have go through the tyranny of autos. But doesn't mean that people need to support something which in your words will/has lead to "subprime crisis". Because there, just because everyone was getting a house doesn't mean you supported the bank, specially if you knew what was coming. There too lax laws to allowed banks to fool people into buying houses. It was people who were hurt at the end, banks got away with it, so will Uber/Ola too. People should always be encouraged to live within their means, not out of it. We are encouraging people to be the failures of the "marshmallow test".

Third, "it stays as long as company is profitable only". Huh???? Uber/Ola has never been making money ...at all. They rely on external VC funding to fund this excess of coupon filled rides. The hope always is there to build enough customers to go public and then VCs get to cash out. What is happening here is basically they are running out of VCs money to dole them. That was the case with Flipkart, Snapdeal, Leco etc too. The only problem is in those cases, the effected party is the end-middle class customer who forgo buying on increased prices. And the employees who unfortunately don't go on strike and no one asks for an MNREGA type program for them.

Fourth, so jobs have been created because you see people pooling with you? I can't express the WTF-ness in this statement at all. If you would have seen the Nariman point guy in the local train then jobs wouldn't have been created?

My takeaway from your points is basically this - you have a comfort of paying 80rs for the cab while avoiding the rush and jam packed Mumbai trains. So Uber/Ola is good, drivers are good, and eff common sense and everything else. If required even give them a secured government type job to ferry me. Makes me wonder - do we now need a meme like "first world problems".

I think you need to read my post more clearly and then revert. All I see is you joining my two different lines and then claiming BS.

Ola/uber themselves have become middleman here. They themselves are leasing cabs directly to drivers and providing finance. Few middleman who rents cabs and employs poor drivers are in worse shape since if they start getting low fares, poor drivers will stop driving and these middlemen get stuck with cars for hire without drivers.

Yes - but you need them. They will police the drivers and ensure they toe the line. Its similar to radio taxis, but it never worked properly, and there was no way to see where was the car. Ola and Uber are just filling in the gap.

That is exactly the chance that middle men take - its a risk and reward scenario in the real world, similar to distributors.

Can the drivers toe it alone - yes. But will they be able to service the people efficiently - no.

The point was not made because the question was - who is the middleman? Rather the argument was breaking the law was same as cutting the middleman. If I din't like companies breaking law to make money, somehow I shouldn't encourage people to provide me cheap services.

Not defending ola/uber but many laws are formed in olden days during the reign of auto/cab unions and don't really have a place in app world and need reforms. Then uber\ola will slowly start to get in line. For eg, uber just announced they'll start registering their cabs with california DMVs after not complying with them since many years.
There are other laws Uber/ola have broken and it is not only about unions. There are other things like vehicle registration, personnel checks, income from vehicles etc. Sure the law has many flaws as it is old and has inefficiency. But believing that these companies, in the app world, will not try to change laws which favor them is foolhardy. It is not going to help people but themselves. But we seem to be blinded by our comfort that we think these companies are for the betterment of mankind.

Back