Indian Govt makes Registration of Wi-Fi Compulsory for all

Gaurish

ex-Mod
There is a recent circular issued by Department of Telecommunications to all Internet service providers.According to this circular, Dot has instructed ISPs that every Individual/Company using Wireless Services have to Compulsorily register their Wi-Fi equipment with their Internet provider; failing their service would be disconnected.

The main points given in circular are:-

o Every internet user in country has to register his wireless equipment with his ISP. All ISPs make sure that this rules is duly followed.

o The Subscriber is fully responsible if any kind of illegal/anti social activities made through his Internet connection.

o For Existing Subscribers, ISP would inform them about this directive and give a notice for compliance. if a subscriber does not follow, his connection would be suspended until he registers.

Read Full:

Indian Govt makes Registration of Wi-Fi Compulsory for all

wonder why poor Netizens have to pay the price.

Totally stupid move:mad:

^ i believe its a very good move for the country's security point of view and security is something that is of the prime importance for the govt.
The circular instructs the users to register their wifi devices at the place, i believe they'll note down the mac address of the router and assosiate with your connection ?
And how does it hamper the free net connection, u can still go to any of the wifi hotspots like in the CCD or central or the likes. And if you are talking about the free net connection of your neighbour which u intend to use without the prior permission , then you should not expect the government to sponser your illegal intentions.

Arihant

@Arihant

how will it stop usage of Wifi by terror groups? they didn't mention anywhere use of Wifi security.

Only registration of mac address of your router won't help

Gaurish said:
@Arihant
how will it stop usage of Wifi by terror groups? they didn't mention anywhere use of Wifi security.

Hmm. . .i believe TRAI has already regulated a circular telling the ISP's to spread awareness regarding the security protocols .

And i also think that when the router is getting registered wrt this circular, they'd, for sure, put the router on secure mode for the subscriber.

They are not obliged to do so , why would they ?

And also how the hell would ISP's know whether someone uses WiFi or not ? Will they check with every user

How will the ISP come to know if the end user is using wifi?

I think its an incredibly difficult task for the ISP to enlist all wifi users, not because of the huge widespread customer base but because there is no full proof way of knowing if the customer is using wifi or not.

Apparently there was some recent IT Act amendment where a low-level inspector can raid homes without warrants... :D

Oh crap..

There was enough trouble as it is keeping the IT officials away, now I have to worry about Wifi raids.... damn you central govt

:p

I dunno how registering ur modem is gonna help??!!:S

btw while applying for MTNL Wi-Fi i had given a written letter that i'll be using it with security enabled and only for personal use(i.e. no sharing), as told to me by MTNL ppl!

And I'm using the modem issued by them! still i have to register kya?:huh: :S

o The Subscriber is fully responsible if any kind of illegal/anti social activities made through his Internet connection.

This is an interesting point. It applies with a wired connection, already.

So all that is required is a minimum amount of protection and if its hackable then you have already made a resonable attempt to secure your connection.

vishalrao said:
Apparently there was some recent IT Act amendment where a low-level inspector can raid homes without warrants... :D

This is what ppl should be consulting to understand what can & cannot be enforced.

It seem that this law is made because many odd users are lazy/ignorant to put up a wifi security. A law is created to govern the law which is implemented previously. Will it work or not- that's something the government and the people who should enforce.

This whole thing just made me LMAO.

I have heard few stupid things, but this wins the award of being the most moronic decision ever taken by govt when it comes to Internet security.

I still cant believe how this even passed into being a law. I mean what kind of people it would take to even advice such thing in the first place knowing well that this cant actually be done.

Our government is incapable of handling terror threats period:( .This not gonna do shit.Our gov. is not serious about anything look @ china where they are they are light years ahead of us:rofl:.This is a country where big banks loan money to ordinary people when they fail to pay up banks send rowdies to
their house in many instances the victim is maimed even killed:ashamed: .
What does gov. and the RBI do about it :rofl: .Our gov does not care about ordinary citizens.They are good @ only talking -"we condemn this attack that attack" after a while they all go back to their jobs-LOOTING THE COUNTRY:mad: .

Gaurish said:
@Arihant

I spoof the MAC ID on my router, so its not the actual MAC that it came with. How do you register in such a case?? :bleh:

We got an email form TI stating exactly this, I had disconnected the connection before I saw the email.

I don't think it's a bad move. If anything, it protects you. Switch your SSID off, put in WPA2 protection, and a really, really tough key with special characters and an obscure name. Since my signal is ultra-strong, it helps add some semblance of security to the whole network.

cranky said:
We got an email form TI stating exactly this, I had disconnected the connection before I saw the email.

I don't think it's a bad move. If anything, it protects you. Switch your SSID off, put in WPA2 protection, and a really, really tough key with special characters and an obscure name. Since my signal is ultra-strong, it helps add some semblance of security to the whole network.

Noone is complaining about the WPA/WPA2 / WEP encryption.
Thats must on any network other than public wifi hotspots. The idiocy is in the move to make users register their wifi. Come on, its like asking people to register their chordless phones :S :S :S :S

I dont believe in being a Rebel without cause. But I am making a RTI inquiry regarding this asking on what basis this decision was taken and how they plan to implement it.

It is basically one of those dumb laws that they have to cover their ass. It goes thus:

1. Make dumb law.

2. Do not implement dumb law.

3. Wait for terrorist attack to occur.

4. Catch wifi home n/w owner and jail him and claim success.

5. Pardon actual terrorist and make him a minister.

Back