Indian news websites starts blocking AD-Block users, Open letter to them

Do you use AB on TechEnclave?

• Total voters
I guess the good thing about this thread is that I remembered to whitelist TE :D

As far as the adblocking by news websites, I just close that tab or google the headline. 99% of the stuff is just reposted elsewhere.

The poll is kinda twisted... I do care about TE earning revenues! Just not the cost of my peace of mind (by plastering my screen with ads!). And I don't think TE does that anyway! But I still use Adblock everywhere.

As or these news websites crying foul over adblockers, I will not use them and go elsewhere. They need to learn not to plaster peoples' screens with ads. They have become more of ad portals than news portals anyway.

IE is too on this bandwagon. And I thought IE was above this, readers first, but I guess a lot has changed.

To counter the times of India anti-adblocker, I went ahead and blacklisted the entire site itself, so all I get is a blank/grey page, which constantly reminds me to avoid TOI.

Indian Express has put auto playing jplayer or some other flash player in their new pages now.
These news companies are trying to suck people's bandwidth like they own it.

The solution I used is to go to chrome setting and disable java script for all these websites. In chrome you basically go to settings -> advanced -> content setting -> java script -> manage exception

Now enter

[*.]hindustantimes.com
[*.]ndtv.com

and chose block.

Now it does take away some of the automated stuff; like in page video will not work or comments. But I am perfectly fine with that.

Try it; its pretty good.

What if youtube does a similar thing? This could possibly be a test case for going ahead with something like that. I mean not too many people are too bothered by being unable to access some news articles that could probably be found duplicated elsewhere as well but it does seem a bit of a hassle. What if I can only watch the new Filthy Frank only if I turn off adblock?

I've turned off ad block in my phone and Android tv box. I don't see ads everyday on YouTube. Just one or two occasionally.

anyone knows how to block those pesky auto loading videos in ndtv website?

I keep blocking entire video domain, xhr scripts, video playing javascript etc and the videos still load from one cdn or other.

btw, if anyone wants list of blocks for some sites for ublock origin here is it:

Code:
! Facebook blocking
*.facebook.*
*.fbcdn.*
*.fb.*
*.fburl.com

! Pocket
*.getpocket.com

! Other
*.pinterest.com
*.stumbleupon.com
||polldaddy.com^$important
*indiaistore.com

! Analytics
adgebra.co.in
clmbtech.com
createjs.com
forkcdn.com
jansatta.com
quora.com
scorecardresearch.com
timespoints.com
moengage.com
criteo.net
viglink.com
contextual.media.net
cdn.izooto.com
q.quora.com
connect.facebook.net

! auto video player cdn urls and javascript players
player2.h-cdn.com
pubads.g.doubleclick.net
*.akamaihd.net
jwpcdn.com
https://csi.gstatic.com/csi/*
https://www.ndtv.com/video/embed-player/*
voddownload.ndtv.com

! 4/18/2018, 2:51:56 PM indiatimes.com
||timesofindia.indiatimes.com/videos/*$script

! 11/11/2018, 10:27:04 AM https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-gamma-and-hdr-eotf-on-tvs-and-why-should-you-care/
www.cnet.com###videoPlayer1

Ban all the persons below who voted for YES! :p
[DOUBLEPOST=1543775208][/DOUBLEPOST]On a serious note, Should i really consider this report .. Only 1% users block ads on Desktop, Seriously???

https://www.thehindubusinessline.co...erging-markets-mary-meeker/article9717805.ece

Was there any reason to get this topic on top again after years ?
Any techy will get rid of ads, that just makes -5% of users worldwide.. its still a huge market.
And ads are just getting HUUUGE.. in all ways,
You/Me can start tracking each other in short term..

With latitudes/longtidues etc.....
We already provided enuff data to f, g, t, i. etc. etc.
Financial sector starts first.. here.. (India is highly on funds requirements for elections)..

^ ndtv.com/video/embed-player/* - this may be enough. But you already have this. Exact pages on which videos are present ?

it seems to be working now. no videos are loading. when i had first blocked those url's i would get a video playing in home page, and some other pages where news clips would start playing automatically. I think it was set up in My Rules tab under temporary rules. I removed it from there and put it in My Filters.

Was there any reason to get this topic on top again after years ?
Any techy will get rid of ads, that just makes -5% of users worldwide.. its still a huge market.
And ads are just getting HUUUGE.. in all ways,
You/Me can start tracking each other in short term..

With latitudes/longtidues etc.....
We already provided enuff data to f, g, t, i. etc. etc.
Financial sector starts first.. here.. (India is highly on funds requirements for elections)..

Kettle, meet pot ...

Back