Indian YouTubers lap up fake videos

Is YTube's popularity going down cuz of this fake menace?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Very good question.. and love to answer it personally will watch this thread for more opinions.
Dailymotion is crap. Annoying ads & maximum videos are expired and invalid links. Its only good for fresh videos stored temporarily like for any episode you missed. Likewise I use it only for watching wwe shows which i miss and the links are valid for not more than 4-5 days.

In short its totally unreliable. Its a hit or miss and luck by chance.

Yeah YouTube homepage is horrible. I just use subscriptions and watch only the channels I'm interested in, eliminates a lot of garbage from the home page, but the whole concept of YouTube is flawed with creators fighting for views and ad revenue, they make more click baity content which is what the general audience views... It's weird.

Daily motion is only for bob and vagene videos from Hollywood movies.
It's mentalities like yours that have turned YouTube into a monopoly. If people branched out towards other video platforms, such as DailyMotion, Metacafe, Rumble.com and Vimeo, YouTube would gradually decrease in popularity.

YouTube would gradually decrease in popularity.
Why do you want a great platform's popularity to be decreased? It's a free platform and allows some people to actually earn a living, as with anything, it has a downside as well. Look at the brighter side, there are actually quite load of educational videos where it can reaches masses where it was not possible earlier. There are some villages i know which run schools based on the videos uploaded by some dedicated tutors. And now there are competition as to which tutor is better. If you want to do something, encourage people to load up genuine educational videos which will automatically improve the overall system as people will reciprocate. With respect to ad or fake videos, just search for specific videos an i am sure the algo will improve overtime.

It's a free platform and allows some people to actually earn a living
That's exactly the problem. It only allows some people to earn. Monopoly is never a good thing. According to their new policies, small youtubers can't monetize their channels anymore: http://www.thegeekskills.com/youtube-punishes-small-youtubers/

There have been many online petitions requesting YouTube to reconsider their new policies, but they refused to give in. Where does this lead? Small youtubers will be discouraged to continue making videos and will eventually quit, while big youtubers will only grow bigger.

How exactly is Youtube's popularity going down because of fake videos? I serious doubt it.
And it's been a while since I felt that we need a new video/content platform which can compete with YouTube. The PL fiasco strengthened my belief on the need of a new proper platform for both general viewers and content creators. YouTube in it's current condition is really messed up and I don't expect it to change ever. Let's not even get into their recent policies. Ironically enough Google's CEO is an Indian. *Facepalm*
Anyway if a better platform comes up I'll be more than happy to support it.

Back