Installation

Bhaai

Disciple
Hi friends

i am new to this whole process of installing an OS and i have never done it before.
at present i have win98 which is installed on C: and my D: drive has other data

now i have been having 98 for the past 4-5 months and i wanna change over as it is boring.
can anyone tell me in detail how to go about the whole process of installation of a new OS and how to format (and please don't forget that the data on D: drive i have.At present i hav no facility to put it away anywhere else for a while(20 GB).i dont have a CD writer too!)

basically i am luking for 2 answes:
1)how to install a totally new OS?
2)how to have 2 different OS's?

i want to put in both XP and RedHat
how should i go about then?

is there any rule for partitioning the drive space?
also i want the D:/ to remain as it is.how will the partitions of the disk be after these 2 OS's are installed?
i have only a 40 GB HDD

currently i have the partition as
c:/ : 15GB---contains 98
d:/ : 25GB--- 20 GB filled and i need it

Now i want the d:/ to remain unchanged.So hacker can you tell me how much i must allocate to XP and Linux
note that i have never done this before.So can anyone tell me how to go about and the steps to be taken.

also another thing i wanted to ask was regarding the browser Firefox
how must i retain the password,history and bookmarks list so that i can reuse them in the newly installed OS.

hi there,

if u want to install any o.s. like Windows 98/Me/2000/XP/2003 server, just try out an AUTOMATION Utility for installation or upgradation of windows o.s.

Utility : UWin Installer
www.uwininstaller.tk
For More Info See UWin Installer Docs
or
Mail me :: handautsav [at] hotmail.com
hope this helps u out !!
NJOY ...

You will need some unpartitioned space available if you want to install a linux distribution. You can use a tool like partition manager or qtparted to resize on of your partitions, or else you will need to delete either of them. Regarding disk space required, 4-5GB is enough for most distributions, but you can get along with under 1 GB if you use a smaller distro or manually select the packages you need.

Windows XP can be installed in either of your partitions without modification, as they will be FAT partitions

Back