Installing Java Games on E398 Using BlueTooth

Are you sure, the instructions are correct and should work.

i've installed tons of java apps/games on my e398 through a USB cable. But for that you need to download a couple programs.
1.PST 6.7 or higher versions (search it yourself, i'm trying to search for it too and PM you as soon as i find it)
2. Midway -

http://www.motocoder.com/motorola/pcsHome.jsp?rNum=783554070&node_name=Motorola_Midway_Tool

Once you've downloaded these 2 Apps, post here again and then i'll help you with the directions to easily send games to your e398.

Ive tried using everything....
Downloaded PST 6.7(the latest version that I could find) and even applied a patch for PST to make it work, but it just doesnt detect my phone(though MPT does it).

I am on Win2K, is that the problem????

I have the Midway tool but even that doesnt detect my phone at all :(.

I think u'll have to enable java app loader on the E398 using P2K Seem to execute the java games loaded through USB but even P2kSeem/p2KMan dont work!!

Nothing except MPT(Supplied in the CD works..:(...).

Am desperate to play the Java Games......please help .

Thanks Params and all,

DC.

Okay detection problems!!

You know i had that problem too. okay lets try and fix it -

Connect your phone. hear the 'ding' usb sound. then go to Controld panel - phone and modems - modem and see if the phone is listed active and note the COM port number if you want to make your midway work.

then open up PST 6.7. You'll have to apply the KJAVA. go to open - Kjava file - there see if the phone gets detected, if not unplug the cable from your computer not the from the e398's end. Hope you've got multiple USB ports, then plug in the cable to a different USB port, should help, if not, then repeat a cycle of switching to different USB ports, in between you can even restart e398.

Believe me this actually worked for me when i was frustrated like you when i had this problem. try this and report back.

To make midway work, once you've noted the serial port your e398 is active on, open up midway and turn the baud rate to 19200. Then select that port number you noted. and then it'll detect!

Darthcoder have u installed the drivers inorder the phone to be detected as a modem, if not install it first.... To check whether u have installed the driver correctly, go to Device manager and see whether u phone comes under Modem.... and one more thing u should change ur phone connection to Data/Fax connection so that ur mobile can be detected as modem(settlings - > usb settings -> Default connection -> select Data/Fax connection)

There should be no problem installing games thru cable... very simple...

Hey Params7 can u share the games and applications that u have installed... i did install few games but then soft keys dint work for those games...

Guys have u intalled new skins on ur mobile? is the process easy? I have swapped Techno and Neon skin with 2 other skins(scarlet- that comes for Razr v3 and Mac OS X skin), but i am a bit hesitant to install new skins...

itsmevivek said:
Hey Params7 can u share the games and applications that u have installed... i did install few games but then soft keys dint work for those games...

Guys have u intalled new skins on ur mobile? is the process easy? I have swapped Techno and Neon skin with 2 other skins(scarlet- that comes for Razr v3 and Mac OS X skin), but i am a bit hesitant to install new skins...
i did the folder adding, not swapping skins. Also to make softkeys work -

http://agames.motofan.ru/index.php

Select the jar, it'll converter it and then you can download the corrected e398 verion that way softkeys would work too.
And for games, video clips and ringtones i reccomend www.get-mobile.co.uk, you won't be dissapointed!
check out http://www.fedupnow.com/
and http://www.motoskins.tk/ for more.
also check this old guide out on numerous e398 customizations, or flashing firmwares guide, that where i learnt.
http://www.motomodders.net/portals/0/e398_guide.html

arrey ppl... just drag drop ur java game file in the "push obex file transfer folder" in BT thts all... i got over 20 games on my E398 like this...

@cowax

I did just that thru the BlueSoleil BT Dongle but my phone didnt detect any incoming file and yes, BT was ON.

@params and @itsmevivek

First of all thanx to both of u :).
Will try the same tomorrow and tell U if i have any problems.
Are there drivers for E398 to be detected as modem??
I just installed the MPT and nothing else...

One more thing:

Is it necessary that I install PST first and MPT later for the phone to get detected??
(I read this somewhere..).
PS: Guys am on Win2K , is that the problem?? :huh:

Regards,
DC.

Last edited by a moderator:
DarthCoder follow these steps....

1. Goto Settings -> USB settings -> Default Connection-> Select Data/Fax connection
2. Install mobile phone tools.
3. connect phone to PC
4. Go to device manager and see whether Phone present under modem
5. If present go to step 11
6. New hardware detected wizard would start(If it dint start goto control panel and start it)
7. Select to install driver for specific location
8. Insert the motorola CD that came along with phone. Drivers would be present there.
9. Select the folder where drivers are present and install them
10. Go to Device Manager, Now the phone would be present under modem
11. Use the Tutorial below to install...

1) Install PST Phone Manager and Midway
2) NOW CONNECT YOUR PHONE TO YOUR COMPUTER VIA THE CABLE.
3) Open up PST Phone Manager and wait for it to detect all the drivers. There's quite a few and you CANNOT CANCEL OR JUST NOT INSTALL THOSE DRIVERS AND EXPECT PST TO WORK. When windows brings up the driver install menu for each device, select locate driver from specific location and then point it to the directory you installed PST into. For mine it was C:\Program Files\Motorola\PST. Then press next and let it do that for EACH DEVICE.
4) Open up your device manager (Right click your My Computer icon on the desktop and select Properties. Then go to Hardware and then select device manager in the middle of the window)
5) Make sure you can find under the Modems subcategory the device "Motorola USB Modem" if you can't then you have to uninstall the devices you just installed and then try again making sure that you install EVERYTHING.
6) After you see the modem device, right click it and go to properties. Then click on the "Modem" tab and keep in mind what the port number is. It should be located above the Speaker Volume scroll bar at the top. IT'S THERE, IF YOU DONT SEE IT, YOU'RE NOT LOOKING HARD ENOUGH, VERY TOP IN BLACK. Mine was COM3 so just keep note of this.
7) Now go to PST and go to FILE>NEW>KJava File (2nd column on the right down)
8) Go to Phone>Read (your phone should be connected still) If you get an error message that says "Phone not connected. Please connect and power up the phone." Don't worry that happens all the time...when the Motorola USB Modem device isn't there. Just quit PST, unplug your phone, and then replug your phone and then open up PST again. It should work as long as the Motorola USB Modeum is there.
9) After its read from the phone, you should see the previously greyed out button named "Enable/Disable Java App Loader Menu" turn clickable. Click on it and then let the program do the rest.
10) Now go to Phone>Restart Phone if you don't you might have some problems restarting later...so don't forget. After your phone blinks in restart, close PST and unplug your phone.
11) Now click on the center button to access basic menus, settings, go to java settings, and in there the first option should be "Java App Loader" click on that and then it'll give you a notice, "Insert Cable now"...at which point you insert the cable.
12) Now start Midway, when it asks for the port, input what you saw and what I asked you to keep in mind earlier when we checked the port of the Motorola USB modem.
13) Midway only loads JAD files so use JadGEN to make a JAD file pointing to your JAR file.

Woooooohoooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!
Just downloaded my first Java Game to da Cell and I must say am thrilled!!!!!!!!

Thanx Vivek :D.
The mistake i was doing was that i wasnt updating the USB Connection settings as Data/Fax and it was only detecting the device as USB Memory Device.

Well, Everything's well that ends well :D.

Thanx Vivek and Params :D.

Ur efforts are appreciated.

I was getting scared and thinking that I had got a lemon or something.

Thanx mates :D.

Efforts appreciated.

Regards,
DC.

Back