Intel 2018 9th Gen Core Launch Event

Looks like cooling these CPU's is a big challenge. Liquid cooling is mandatory. Stock temps are 85 deg with Corsair H100i and a bit better with a open loop custom cooling solution with a 360mm rad.
Temps hit 100 deg with over-clocking.

While the CPU's are compatible with Z370, its kind of pointless since the performance is getting crimped by 15%+ due to throttling whcih effectively makes the Z390 platform mandatory.

Also, no significant gains in gaming except at 1080p. I doubt anybody would buy a $380 or $500 CPU today to game at 1080p. At 4K, GPU becomes the bottle neck and performance becomes on par with Ryzen 2700X.

Due to Intel's decision to exclude Hyper threading from 9700K, it is no match for 2700X in many tests and in some ways worse than 8700K where the presence of the extra execution pipelines makes a difference.

9900K is technically better, but looks like AMD still wins this round in terms of practicality (value as well as thermals).

Just Buy it !!! :p

relative-performance-games-2560-1440.png

Last edited:
No sign of the CPU pricing in India still. Curiously.. prime abgb has listed the Z390 Maximus ROG XI showing it on Sale and a discounted price of 28k WTF .. LOL

the z390 boards are just beginning to pop up in availability here but no sign of CPU pricing yet. It's also kind of no surprise then that the 8700K prices continue to remain inflated.

Have a friend coming down from the US in early November. Wondering if I should just have him carry it for me.

If the 8700K sitting at 38k now.. the i9 I think isn't gonna do it's yours below 40k

Looks like cooling these CPU's is a big challenge. Liquid cooling is mandatory. Stock temps are 85 deg with Corsair H100i and a bit better with a open loop custom cooling solution with a 360mm rad.
Temps hit 100 deg with over-clocking.

While the CPU's are compatible with Z370, its kind of pointless since the performance is getting crimped by 15%+ due to throttling whcih effectively makes the Z390 platform mandatory.

Also, no significant gains in gaming except at 1080p. I doubt anybody would buy a $380 or $500 CPU today to game at 1080p. At 4K, GPU becomes the bottle neck and performance becomes on par with Ryzen 2700X.

Due to Intel's decision to exclude Hyper threading from 9700K, it is no match for 2700X in many tests and in some ways worse than 8700K where the presence of the extra execution pipelines makes a difference.

9900K is technically better, but looks like AMD still wins this round in terms of practicality (value as well as thermals).

wasn't the IHS decision to do with improved cooling instead of the thermal paste that hobbled the previous generations?

The main reason I want to avoid upgrading to the 8th Feb is the spectre and meltdown issues which rendered most setups annoyingly unstable.

The i9 have been addressed at the hardware levels. Other than that it will ultimately come down to the vfm decision for me. The 9700k is looking increasingly average as a result of Intel's irritating decision on HT .. all in all jumbled order of things.

The 2700X is frankly looking to be a compelling buy.

Unfortunately for us it would have been just as sweet as it is for our foreign friends after further price cuts recently if it wasn't for our lovely exchange rate coupled with sellers greed.

Yeah, Z390 boards are being sold at a premium. Even the Strix Z390-E is 22.5K. I guess the dollar to rupee valuation is also a big factor

Add another 40K for the 9700K (or even more for the 9900K) and you are looking at minimum of 65-70K for just the CPU + Motherboard.

I guess I made the right decision in rushing to put together my new new rig with Ryzen 2700X + Gigbayte X470 Gaming 7 in July before the prices got jacked up instead of waiting for the this Intel 9 series refresh. Cost me 40K for the CPU+Motherboard.

Yeah, Z390 boards are being sold at a premium. Even the Strix Z390-E is 22.5K. I guess the dollar to rupee valuation is also a big factor

Add another 40K for the 9700K (or even more for the 9900K) and you are looking at minimum of 65-70K for just the CPU + Motherboard.

I guess I made the right decision in rushing to put together my new new rig with Ryzen 2700X + Gigbayte X470 Gaming 7 in July before the prices got jacked up instead of waiting for the this Intel 9 series refresh. Cost me 40K for the CPU+Motherboard.

I got caught out. Didn't expect the entire spectrum to get all jumbled up with performance and prices.

I kind of don't know what to expect with AMD. I've never ever owned an AMD rig in my life before so I'm hesitant to make a jump now but it looks like the 2700X is a compelling case.

I'm gonna sit and figure out now if my RAM is compatible from my skylake build.

Last edited:
This is only the second time I went AMD for CPU in 21 years of building rigs. The first one was Athlon 64 3000+ which I got because AMD trounced everything that Intel had on their side with these CPU's.

AMD never had anything good at least for the enthusiast users in all these years since then. Once I got the 2500K, I didn't feel the need to upgrade my CPU for last 7 years. My earlier upgrade cycle used to be 2-3 years.

Ryzen or more specifically, the Zen+ refresh is when things stared looking up for AMD where there was compelling reason to buy AMD again. Mind you, it is still not a "Destroy everything else on the market" kind of situation, but with the down sides that Intel had in current gen, 2700X made for a compelling buy.

The thing is I'm not valuing outright performance as much as preferring an all round use and stability. Of course I do game 1080p but with kids and family time.. my gaming sessions have drastically come down. My productive use time has gone up and that's just user of regular office suite etc.

Intel always had the stability and performance cards perfectly tucked away until I ran into Skylake. By far the crappiest ever rig I owned. Absolutely no stability. It was just one damn issue after the other. I couldn't believe intel could get that bad and then the Spectre and Meltdown bomb dropped.. after that the patches just sent the damn system to hell. So I got rid of it and now I'm stuck.

I'm just gonna wait long enough to see what the prices of the i9 come in at.

Right now its fairly simple - for productivity buy a TR 2950x. For gaming buy an 8700k. The 9900k is neither here nor there.

But the 8700K on patched Skylake platforms ain't that great.. performance gets knocked as does stability judging by various threads all over the net regarding some issue or the other post patching.

I had incessant random BSOD's stuttering and crappy temps on my 6600K build post patching and I wouldn't want to touch the 8700K with a bargepole for the same reason

I had incessant random BSOD's stuttering and crappy temps on my 6600K build post patching and I wouldn't want to touch the 8700K with a bargepole for the same reason

There is a fully patched 8400 in my wife's PC with a gigabyte z370 hd3p board. No instability and no issues!

I am building a TR 2950x PC soon. Seems to be the best platform out there right now.

Yes, those issues must be from some other reasons. I have couple other computers running Win 10 fully patched. One of them is a Surface Pro 4 based on Skylake. No such issues.

Also, since you are on Skylake already and your goal mainly 1080p gaming, I don't see any reason for you to upgrade now. Its more than sufficient. For gaming, individual core performance is what matters most. Of course, there will be FPS difference between a 6600K and say a 8700K or 9700K. But @ 1080p where any good GPU will be churning out 80-100FPS (or more), would getting 10-20 FPS more matter?

In my case. I went for 2700X because I was on a very old CPU (Intel 2500K) and I needed a balance of both single threaded and multi threaded performance. I game @ 4K where ever possible and also run Virtual Machines where those extra cores and threads help.

Also, since you are on Skylake already and your goal mainly 1080p gaming, I don't see any reason for you to upgrade now. Its more than sufficient. For gaming, individual core performance is what matters most. Of course, there will be FPS difference between a 6600K and say a 8700K or 9700K. But @ 1080p where any good GPU will be churning out 80-100FPS (or more), would getting 10-20 FPS more matter?

Actually he might benefit from going to a 6/8c CPU even for 1080p gaming. Very many modern titles actually use more than 4 threads. Some of them like the last two Assassin's Creed games stutter big time on 4c/4t CPUs.

I already got rid of the 6600K + board.. so now I need to get the rig back together.

The only trouble with going for the 2700X is I'm not sure of the RAM compatibility since I still have my kit with me 4x8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LED CMU16GX4M2C3000C15 sticks.

Heard there were a few issues with RAM for the AMD chips?

I already got rid of the 6600K + board.. so now I need to get the rig back together.

The only trouble with going for the 2700X is I'm not sure of the RAM compatibility since I still have my kit with me 4x8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LED CMU16GX4M2C3000C15 sticks.

Heard there were a few issues with RAM for the AMD chips?

It works fine! You might have to tinker a bit with timings and ram settings.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

https://twitter.com/intelnews/status/1054397715071651841
"Media reports published today that Intel is ending work on the 10nm process are untrue. We are making good progress on 10nm. Yields are improving consistent with the timeline we shared during our last earnings report."

ITS FAKE NEWS !!

-------------------------------------
Intel kills off the 10nm process

https://semiaccurate.com/2018/10/22/intel-kills-off-the-10nm-process/

----------------------------------
seems to be semi-accurate.
https://twitter.com/intelnews/status/1054397715071651841

Back