Intel 2018 9th Gen Core Launch Event

Tom's Hardware is another sellout.. stopped looking at their articles altogether.

Guys, what you'll reckon? I really don't want to breach the 50K Mark so I've basically got 2 choices.. the 8700K + z370/390 or the 2700x + x470 .. what should I go for?? There's no point waiting for the i9 to be honest.

Given that 7nm Zen is probably 6 months away.. is a 2700x choice at this point in time relevant? Or should I go with the 8700K ?

Tom's Hardware is another sellout.. stopped looking at their articles altogether.

Guys, what you'll reckon? I really don't want to breach the 50K Mark so I've basically got 2 choices.. the 8700K + z370/390 or the 2700x + x470 .. what should I go for?? There's no point waiting for the i9 to be honest.

Given that 7nm Zen is probably 6 months away.. is a 2700x choice at this point in time relevant? Or should I go with the 8700K ?

If you still had your 6600K, I would have suggested holding on to it, but you no longer have it.
There is no point going for a 8700K or the 97000K now at their current prices. Either get the 2700X or be ready to wait hoping that you will till be able to afford something in future.. To be honest, I think the prices of all hardware is only going to increase in coming days with the the political situation and economic conditions. This is one of the reasons I rushed to update my setup done before things get too bad.

If you still had your 6600K, I would have suggested holding on to it, but you no longer have it.
There is no point going for a 8700K or the 97000K now at their current prices. Either get the 2700X or be ready to wait hoping that you will till be able to afford something in future.. To be honest, I think the prices of all hardware is only going to increase in coming days with the the political situation and economic conditions. This is one of the reasons I rushed to update my setup done before things get too bad.

Thanks for your input. Appreciate it.

@Chaos any suggestions?

The RAM issues were mostly with the Ryzen 1st gen which is when I upgraded to a Ryzen 1700 from a i5 4400.
But even in that case it was not a hassle for me as I went with G-Skill FlareX kits which were Samsung B-die and worked @3200 MHz on the Asus Crosshair VI Hero out of the box.
The RAM speed issues were cleaned up with BIOS updates and for Ryzen+ AFAIK its not that big a deal anymore.
If your primary use case is gaming@1080p which is exactly the same as mine with some Handbrake encoding thrown in weekly then save the money and spend it on the GPU.
With my old gen 1700 and the RTX 2080 I just got this week I am hitting 69 FPS on 1080p in Ghost Recon Wildlands at Ultra.
In FC5 with ultra quality+HD Textures enabled it was even more but I don't remember exactly off the top of my head.

I would suggest scouring Google with the exact RAM kit model and Ryzen 2700x to see if there's anybody who's running the same combo without any hiccups.

Last edited:
The RAM issues were mostly with the Ryzen 1st gen which is when I upgraded to a Ryzen 1700 from a i5 4400.
But even in that case it was not a hassle for me as I went with G-Skill FlareX kits which were Samsung B-die and worked @3200 MHz on the Asus Crosshair VI Hero out of the box.
The RAM speed issues were cleaned up with BIOS updates and for Ryzen+ AFAIK its not that big a deal anymore.
If your primary use case is gaming@1080p which is exactly the same as mine with some Handbrake encoding thrown in weekly then save the money and spend it on the GPU.
With my old gen 1700 and the RTX 2080 I just got this week I am hitting 69 FPS on 1080p in Ghost Recon Wildlands at Ultra.
In FC5 with ultra quality+HD Textures enabled it was even more but I don't remember exactly off the top of my head.

I would suggest scouring Google with the exact RAM kit model and Ryzen 2700x to see if there's anybody who's running the same combo without any hiccups.

Already have the STRIX 1080 A8G with me from the Skylake build so I think I'm ok with the GPU.

I checked Asus's site for the compatibility with the Corsair sticks I have, they show support for 2 DIMMS but not 4.

Already have the STRIX 1080 A8G with me from the Skylake build so I think I'm ok with the GPU.

I checked Asus's site for the compatibility with the Corsair sticks I have, they show support for 2 DIMMS but not 4.
That was always the problem with Ryzen. You will pay less but might have to tweak a bit more and hope it'll work. I missed that you're running all 4 DIMMs so that might be icky for you as everybody on the interweb with >16 Gigs are using GSkill FlareX/SniperX kits which work OOTB.
But then again it would be nice to reuse the nice kit from your existing rig.

BTW is stability the only reason due to which you're looking to upgrade from 6th Gen Skylake?

Talk about LOOT

https://www.primeabgb.com/online-pr...9-9900k-coffee-lake-8-core-3-6-ghz-processor/

At ₹72 to a $ .. that's a cool $796 that Prime thinks you should cough up for a 9900K! If I were a betting man I'd think one could wager they're pocketing what maybe a $100 in profits?
All will come to naught when Zen2 launches and Intel is still facing hiccups with 10 nm. I am hoping that AMD will turn the tables on Intel on IPC as well. If only they could take a crack at nvidia's monopoly too. Navi seems to be designed for the next gen of gaming consoles and might not go head to head with the RTX series top end.

9900k/9700k is simply not worth it at current prices unless you are running a 2080 Ti at low resolutions. That again is a rather unrealistic scenario. I'd rather buy a 2700x and a good X470 board and then overclock it to whatever possible.

Absolutely. This is a clear example of pricing not being in line with market realities. A 2700X is half the price of the Intel top offering when the performance differential isn't even worthy.

It's clear Intel are behind the curve and they are possibly resorting to inflating prices to compensate for volume drops even when you account for retailer margins.

Speaking of retailer margins, in India retailers seem to think they should earn half the value of the base price as margins! Lol.

I've yet to see a 9700k in the wild here.. the 9600k has been out for nearly 3 weeks but I really don't see the point in that chip at all

Talk about LOOT

https://www.primeabgb.com/online-pr...9-9900k-coffee-lake-8-core-3-6-ghz-processor/

At ₹72 to a $ .. that's a cool $796 that Prime thinks you should cough up for a 9900K! If I were a betting man I'd think one could wager they're pocketing what maybe a $100 in profits?

That actually sounds low given that this CPU is selling for $850+ or more in the US due to poor availability.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAFXN8D92370

Even amazon listings were around $950, but its not in stock now.

9900k/9700k is simply not worth it at current prices unless you are running a 2080 Ti at low resolutions. That again is a rather unrealistic scenario. I'd rather buy a 2700x and a good X470 board and then overclock it to whatever possible.
BTW with AM4 you will have socket compatibility till Zen2+.

So going with a X470/2700X leaves you with a cheaper upgrade path and if Zen 2 doesn't do a RX480 then you would be better off as well down the line.

Vega II is more than likely defective Radeon Instinct MI60 parts being pushed on to consumer markets.
Seems likely. This is more of a leftover as I think they're targeting the next gen consoles keeping in mind the Navi rumors which do not go toe to toe with the nVidia heavyweights but focuses more on the midrange.

Back