CPU/Mobo Intel Coffeelake Discussion Thread

Hades.

Skilled
Hi guys,

Intel is soon gonna release Coffeelake processors and would finally be offering 6core processors for its mainstream platform (LGA115x).

Let me just ignite the light by posting the latest news about the Coffeelake processors.

http://wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-8700k-cpu-benchmarks-leak-faster-than-8-core-ryzen/

Yes, the 6c/12t i7 8700k has been benchmarked, you can check the above mentioned link to check how it performs in the most common benchmark applications.

To sum it up the i7 8700k 6c/12t gives AMD R7 1700 8c/16t a run for its money at stock clocks.

Though the AMD Ryzen R7 1700 still has the upperhand when it comes to core count and the pricing, its currently retailing for around $270-$300 in United States.

Once Coffeelake Processors get launched, the i3 processors would no longer be dual core processors with hyper threading.

The 8th Generation i3 Processors would carry 4c/4t threads, the i5 series processors would contain 6c/6t and the i7 processors would be 6c/12t.

If Coffeelake processors would be priced right by Intel, the market share AMD has managed to snatch from Intel would come into problem.

What do you think about the new Coffeelake processors? Do share your thoughts below. :)

Last edited:
Let us take a moment to laugh at Intel
IMG_20170823_191310.jpg

Classic question "If Coffeelake processors would be priced right by Intel"

Now they really dont have a choice. AMD Ryzen Processors would still hold the advantage of bettter price/performance ratio if they dont price the processors right.

The whole reason Intel came up with a plan to offer 6core processors to the mainstream users, was to counter what AMD has to offer, though they wouldn't have minded making people stuck to quadcore processors for another generation if it wasnt for the Ryzen processors.

If they dont price the Coffeelake processors right, people would still go for the Ryzen processors just because they would be getting better multi-threaded performance out of Ryzen processors.

Plus i want people to support AMD by buying ryzen processors just because competition is good for any market.

Plus one more advantage the Summitridge platform holds is that, the AM4 socket would be supported till 2020 by AMD.

Changing motherboard every 2 year is so ridiculous. (i am looking at you intel).

Last edited:
Not what Core2Duo did to AMD?

Core2Duo didnt do much damage, the thing that did the most damage was Intel's bad tactics. They started providing huge discounts to corporate companies to use their processors instead of AMD's which almost made AMD go bankrupt. FTC intervened, AMD went to the court and won the battle and they were awarded a billion dollar as damages. But by the time they were awarded a billion dollar, the damage was already done. Intel had a huge market share and had become a huge company.

Now Intel has become such a huge company by the money that they got using bad tactics that it has become very difficult for AMD to compete with them. Intel processors are still far ahead than AMD in IPC performance and the difference is just increasing with every new generation of Intel processors.

Thats why i still support the underdog AMD. I want to see AMD grow because they are not money hungry like Intel and always came up with the best ideas to improve the user experience than Intel ever came up with.

GPU on the processor Itself was AMD's idea but as they were bleeding money every year, they were not able to execute it. Intel copied the Idea and brought processors with GPU on processor itself to the market first as they had all the resources in the world to execute the idea.

So even if AMD Ryzen processors are not up to the mark in IPC performance, i would still go ahead and buy a Ryzen processor because Ryzen processors are not bad by todays standards and i just want to support AMD so that it can innovate and gain the market share back from Intel.

Not what Core2Duo did to AMD?

Again, as @Hades. has mentioned, it was not that, as much as it was Intel's underhand tactics, including the non existent heating issues which still stick in some minds today which started the damage for AMD. Core2 just completed the damage, with AMD underperforming everywhere.

CoffeeLake looks like suddenly Intel has a competitor and it needs to pull up its socks, and fight back, and still it's using some of its PR to badmouth AMDs design, only this time, it looks like no underhand tactics.

People who bought a Ryzen CPU not going to upgrade it for at least 4-5 years. Please enlighten how it is an advantage if AM4 socket is supported till 2020 ??

People who like to upgrade every 2year, they can just pop in a new processor unlike in Intel's case wherein you have to upgrade the Motherboard aswell.

People who dont like to upgrade within 2 years would anyway woudnt upgrade no matter how significant the upgrade in performance would be.

Plus you are assuming that people who bought Ryzen processors wouldnt upgrade for 4-5 years. There are people who like to stay on the edge when it comes to technology.

People who bought a Ryzen CPU not going to upgrade it for at least 4-5 years. Please enlighten how it is an advantage if AM4 socket is supported till 2020 ??
I'd most certainly upgrade to 10nm ryzen whenever it is out. Hopefully with a better process tech, the clocks will scale a lot higher.

People who like to upgrade every 2year, they can just pop in a new processor unlike in Intel's case wherein you have to upgrade the Motherboard aswell.

People who dont like to upgrade within 2 years would anyway woudnt upgrade no matter how significant the upgrade in performance would be.

Plus you are assuming that people who bought Ryzen processors wouldnt upgrade for 4-5 years. There are people who like to stay on the edge when it comes to technology.
Lol...if people want to stay on edge in CPU technology for 5-10% improvement, should logically buy the latest motherboard too ?? :p

I'd most certainly upgrade to 10nm ryzen whenever it is out. Hopefully with a better process tech, the clocks will scale a lot higher.

So this Socket support only benefits those who have an itch to upgrade more frequently and not for the masses. :cool:

Lol...if people want to stay on edge in CPU technology for 5-10% improvement, should logically buy the latest motherboard too ?? :p

So this Socket support only benefits those who have an itch to upgrade more frequently and not for the masses. :cool:

Why do I need a motherboard if nothing else has changed other than CPU performance? The motherboard barely has any impact on CPU performance these days if the bios is mature and supports the right memory frequencies correctly.

Why do I need a motherboard if nothing else has changed other than CPU performance? The motherboard barely has any impact on CPU performance these days if the bios is mature and supports the right memory frequencies correctly.
My point is, unless AMD releases a significantly improved Ryzen over the existing line before 2020, AM4 socket support doesn't matter to most Ryzen buyers.

My point is, unless AMD releases a significantly improved Ryzen over the existing line before 2020, AM4 socket support doesn't matter to most Ryzen buyers.

Doesn't have to be significantly improved. A process reduction to 10nm or 7nm might allow for example 12 or 16 cores in the same package size. This would be a solid improvement for anyone who bought an 8 core ryzen two years down the line!

One more point i forgot to mention above is that, say for example somebody wants to sell the Ryzen Processor and Motherboard in the future, there would be a lot of buyers coz the motherboard that they bought in 2017 would be supporting processors all the way till 2020. So the buyer would be having the choice of using the latest processor (or the best processor that was released in 2020) to get the best performance.

One more thing, its not that AMD would stop launching chipsets till 2020, they would probably release new chipset (with better i/o like more m.2 slots, more sata ports, more pcie lanes etc etc) with every new processor launch. Its just that, it would be up to the buyers to decide whether they want to upgrade their motherboard to get the new features. They wouldnt be forced to upgrade the motherboard by AMD like Intel does.

Last edited:
Doesn't have to be significantly improved. A process reduction to 10nm or 7nm might allow for example 12 or 16 cores in the same package size. This would be a solid improvement for anyone who bought an 8 core ryzen two years down the line!
7nm/12 core AM4 Ryzen CPU in 2019....you're too optimistic considering AMD just arrived at 14nm :)

7nm/12 core AM4 Ryzen CPU in 2019....you're too optimistic considering AMD just arrived at 14nm :)

Foundries have really upped their game. Look at Samsung, they managed to produce processors at 10nm node even before Intel and now taking orders from Qualcomm for Snapdragon SoCs.

Intel is still struggling with the 10nm node and have already changed their roadmap a lot.

The days when Intel used to hold an edge at producing processors at the smallest node before anyone could, have long gone.

And the moore's law has almost reached EOL.

It would be interesting to see what CPU and SoC producing companies do once moore's law is completely dead to increase performance of CPUs and SoCs

Back