CPU/Mobo Intel Coffeelake Discussion Thread

I just noticed that just like AMD (R5 1600), Intel has an ace up its sleeves.

Intel i5 8400 which is a 6core CPU with a pricetag of just $182. I think that this CPU would be a great competitor for R5 1600 but Ryzen 5 1600 is overclockable CPU whereas the i5 8400 isnt. Plus R5 1600 has SMT feature which i5 8400 doesnt have. The advantages that i5 8400 has over R5 1600 is that it has ondie GPU plus better IPC.

I just noticed that just like AMD (R5 1600), Intel has an ace up its sleeves.

Intel i5 8400 which is a 6core CPU with a pricetag of just $182. I think that this CPU would be a great competitor for R5 1600 but Ryzen 5 1600 is overclockable CPU whereas the i5 8400 isnt. Plus R5 1600 has SMT feature which i5 8400 doesnt have. The advantages that i5 8400 has over R5 1600 is that it has ondie GPU plus better IPC.

Yes, but i5 8400 will get beaten by R5 1600 (x) in almost everything except maybe the single core benchmarks. I speculate, even R5 1400 and 1500x will beat it due to their 8 threads. To make matters worse, until games start utilizing more than 4 cores, even a ryzen 3 1200 and 1300x will get very close to it at <USD 130. I really dont see any situation in which I as a buyer would prefer to buy any of the coffee lake processors for anything if I am making an unbiased choice. I mean I will either shell out a little bit more for much more performance or I will save a lot of money and lose only a little performance!!!! ;)

I really dont see any situation in which I as a buyer would prefer to buy any of the coffee lake processors for anything if I am making an unbiased choice.

Hackintosh, maybe? :p

As Apple uses Intel CPUs in its Macs, installing MacOS is much easier on an Intel based PC as compared to AMD based PC. Though i would like to say that people are having great success in building Ryzen Hackintosh PCs, though the process of Installing macOS on Ryzen powered PCs is a bit cumbersome and involves the use of custom kernels.

Coffeelake CPUs Review Roundup :

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11859/the-anandtech-coffee-lake-review-8700k-and-8400-initial-numbers

http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-core-i7-8700k-core-i5-8400-processor-review-coffee-lake_198473

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i5_8600K/

Spoiler Alert : 8700k is capable of running at 5.1GHz stable with a good AIO water cooler and possibly with a beefier Air Cooler aswell.

It would be interesting to see what frequency we would be able to hit once Intel moves to 14nm# node to produce processors :p.

Last edited:
Sweet CPU! 6 cores perform as well as 8 ryzen cores. Single thread performance is crazy!
Yeah :)

i5 8600k is capable of trading blows with R7 1700 and once overclocked it comes very close to R7 1700 in multithreaded performance.

I just read the i5 8600k Techpowerup review, while going through the review, i saw that i5 8600k is capable of beating R7 1700 in H265 encoding test. A 6core processor without HT is capable of beating an 8core processor with HT (SMT). Maybe the x265 encoder is well optimized for Intel CPUs.

To be honest, i5 8600k is overall a better CPU than the R5 1600/1600X CPUs and is capable of outperforming every Ryzen CPUs in single threaded performance plus in some multithreaded benchmarks it trade blows with the top of the line (mainstream) 1800x CPU.

Edit : AMD needs to launch Pinnacle Ridge CPUs asap.

I see a price cut incoming for Ryzen CPUs. :)

Last edited:
Yeah :)

i5 8600k is capable of trading blows with R7 1700 and once overclocked it comes very close to R7 1700 in multithreaded performance.

I just read the i5 8600k Techpowerup review, while going through the review, i saw that i5 8600k is capable of beating R7 1700 in H265 encoding test. A 6core processor without HT is capable of beating an 8core processor with HT (SMT). Maybe the x265 encoder is well optimized for Intel CPUs.

H.265 encoding is heavily biased towards AVX2 performance which is Ryzen's achilles heel.

People who are looking to buy i5 8400 should hurry up and buy it from Primeabgb before they increase the price of the CPU just like they did with the Ryzen CPUs.

As Coffeelake CPUs has been launched in a rushed manner (they were supposed to be released in early 2018), there are no H370 or B360 motherboards in sight to pair up with the non-k CPUs. So people would have to make do with the Z370 premium motherboards even if they are going with a mainstream 8th generation non-k i5 CPU.

https://videocardz.com/73045/intel-to-launch-b360-h370-and-h310-chipsets-in-q12018

Coffeelake Processors launch on 5/OCT/2017 was literally a paper launch. The processors are already out of stock everywhere, cant talk about the situation in India.

Coffeelake is a rushed response to Ryzen processors. They didnt produce enough processors and budget chipset motherboards are missing from the market to pair up with their budget processors. Maybe this launch was just another tactic by Intel to stop potential buyers from going with AMD Ryzen Processors by showing better performance per dollar in the reviews until they ramp up the production. The rumour has it that, that Intel would only be able to do that, at the start of 2018.

If i am not wrong bait and switch tactic works in a similar way, maybe its slightly different.

Last edited:
What are you doing @Lord Nemesis, waiting till Feb?

Not sure yet, but thinking on those lines. Price/Performance wise, 8700k seems to offer a lot better value than 1700/1800X now, but I would prefer to get at least a 8 core.

Also, my sis might be visiting India around Feb. So, might be possible to get the CPU from US and save some bucks.

Not sure yet, but thinking on those lines. Price/Performance wise, 8700k seems to offer a lot better value than 1700/1800X now, but I would prefer to get at least a 8 core.

Also, my sis might be visiting India around Feb. So, might be possible to get the CPU from US and save some bucks.

Well, the non K is probably the best VFM, my US liaison arrived pre Coffee lake launch and hence ordered the 1700, have put it up for sale, but I really want to hold on to it.

Back