Intel Comet Lake-S 10th gen desktop CPU lineup is out

girish925

Adept
Intel has rolled out its 10th Gen chips to almost all of its laptop lineup at this point, and now, it’s time for desktops to get a turn. The company has announced its latest Comet Lake-S processors across its Core i9, i7, i5, and i3 lineups. Leading the range is the new Core i9-10900K, which offers 10 cores, 20 threads, a 125W TDP, boosted speeds up to 5.3GHz, and, according to Intel, it’s “the world’s fastest gaming processor.”

The Intel Z490 Overview: 44+ Motherboards

The pricing is good but look at the PL2 power draw of 250W for hitting those 5+GHz speeds.

The 9900K went well over 118 W under boost state as per this chart from guru3d.

So I am guessing the 10th gen might go over 250W as well. Holy crap. Seems like Intel is playing the AMD FX game now on an old Skylake architecture by pushing max power to it, temps and power be damned.

And they are still pushing a new chipset which doesn't bring anything new (read DDR5/PCIE Gen4) to the table.

I know PCIE Gen4 with X570 is not too relevant for us but at least my 3900X runs on my old X370 Asus CH6 Hero with the same old AM4 socket.

Its better to wait for Zen 3 to come out by September as I guess AMD will catch up to Intel in single thread perf by then as well.

Furthermore as the new gen consoles come out with 8 core AMD CPUs we will see more games being optimized for multicore performance which will play into AMD's favour.

1588267192270.png

Attachments

• 1588267564579.png
    1588267564579.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
And they are still pushing a new chipset which doesn't bring anything new (read DDR5/PCIE Gen4) to the table.
I know PCIE Gen4 with X570 is not too relevant for us but at least my 3900X runs on my old X370 Asus CH6 Hero with the same old AM4 socket.
- Wait, Intel new chipset does not have PCIE 4 support?

Its better to wait for Zen 3 to come out by September as I guess AMD will catch up to Intel in single thread perf by then as well.
Furthermore as the new gen consoles come out with 8 core AMD CPUs we will see more games being optimized for multicore performance which will play into AMD's favour.
- True. But, isnt Zen 3 pushed to 2021 ?

Back