CPU/Mobo Intel Core i7 reviews out.

Deneb has a real chance if it can surpass Yorkfields... It will be real VFM till Intel's mid-end Nehalems appear in Q2 2009

Vandal said:
Lol, 284$ not mid-range enough for you?

Nope! A $284 CPU with a $75 RAM (Dual channel and not triple at just 1066Mhz) put into a $250 motherboard (that's the estimated price of entry-level X58 mobo) is definitely not mid-range enough

The platform cost is huge as compared to a platform for Q9550 or E8400 (truly a mid-range CPU)

morgoth said:
Nope! A $284 CPU with a $75 RAM (Dual channel and not triple at just 1066Mhz) put into a $250 motherboard (that's the estimated price of entry-level X58 mobo) is definitely not mid-range enough

The platform cost is huge as compared to a platform for Q9550 or E8400 (truly a mid-range CPU)

Vandal's definition of mid-range segment's greek to me. :|

That said, Nehalem's slated to become mainstream by at least Q2 '09. ;)

Least to say, we'll find a couple of Nehalem setups here by that time.

Nehalem is cool for a bunch of reasons not mentioned much in the reviews, but it'll take a few years for that tech to become widespread enough.

KingKrool said:
Nehalem is cool for a bunch of reasons not mentioned much in the reviews, but it'll take a few years for that tech to become widespread enough.

how about you quit the subterfuge nd actually name it for us lesser mortals :bleh:

3d Rendering performance is upped considerably.

Benchmarks scream out that i7 is useless as an upgrade from Penryn unless one is into rendering tasks.

morgoth said:

The boards will become cheaper as time passes. You do realise that RD RAM based boards used to cost Rs 45000 when they launched. And when the first LGA 775 boards launched, they were priced at over Rs 30K.

So give it time. IMO for a CPU alone (and that was what I was talking about) 284$ is entry level. But some people spend more, some spend less :p If you can't spend so much, sit shut.

Vij, I tested the i7 965 extreme, It also has a couple of tricks for gamers, although some games actually nosedive, but I feel this may be a platform/compatibility issue. The game I'm referring to is UT 3, where I couldn't get more than 62 fps (lol, idiots vsync was off). The cache latencies are better than Penryn, and couple with HT, Nehalem shines with even compression/decompression stuff. I tried WinRAR and UHARC. As mentioned by you its very suitable for rendering. Even with a rendering on a single core, per core efficiency is up by more than 7 percent as compared to a QX 9770.

Back