Intel dual-core 840 CPU and 955X chipset due this month, say mobo makers

deejay

Skilled
Intel will move up the launch date of its dual-core series Pentium Extreme Edition 840 CPU and 955X chipset to the middle of this month, according to Taiwan motherboard makers. The dual-core products, which are aimed at the high-end segment, were previously set to arrive by the end of next month, said the makers.
Intel’s 955X chipset is expected to hit the Japan market next week at the earliest, the makers noted.
The dual-core 840 CPU that supports Hyper-Threading will be priced at US$999, said the makers, adding that quotes for the 955X chipset should be US$50. Motherboards using Intel’s 955X chipsets will cost about US$200 per board, the makers estimated.
Other Intel dual-core products including the 945P/G chipsets will be unveiled during the last week of May and be available in the market in the third quarter of this year, the makers anticipated.
Source: digitimes

You know what, This time I havnt seen or heard much about the 955X chipset.I remember reading that current 915/925 mobo will not support them :(

I wonder if AMD will respond with a relase date for their dual core CPU's

This sucks.This means people with 915/925 boards are left high and dry.And please note that boards based on 925 are not exactly cheap.
Damn INTEL

Well AMD too switched sockets for A64.
But they gave good life for S754 unlike Intel whose 915/25 series havent even completed 1 year in retail.
Sucks for those who invested heavily into new LGA775 mobo.
They did similar thing with P4 too when they changed the socket to 478 from 423.
This time its not socket but the damn chipset.
It all ends up being the same.
Intel has always done this if you look at the past.
Even with p3. First they went for carteige system then Tutalian, then again back to cartrige blah blah blah.

funkymonkey said:
Even with p3. First they went for carteige system then Tutalian, then again back to cartrige blah blah blah.
iirc they went from klamath (slot) to coppermine (socket) to tualatin (socket)

apollyon said:
iirc they went from klamath (slot) to coppermine (socket) to tualatin (socket)
They released 650 on coppermine. the moved to Tualatin( typo in my post).
Then they again went with Socket for 1.13(scrapped early by intel) and 750Mhz( also available in socket though).
Then again back to socket for 1Ghz.
There was too much confusion in those days. But people who had 440BX mobo were able to use that convertor card and use the coppermine in their old motherboards. Atleast chipset was compatiable.
But INtel screwed big time with initial P4. And again with LGA775.

Back