CPU/Mobo intel i7 920 or i7 860....?

Arnab Boss

Disciple
First of all a very happy and a prosperous new year 2 all the members...may this year comes with new and exciting gadgets...

Now guys as planned bfore I am building my i7 rig and need ur help in it to get the best of it...'

I am planning to get in this month or feb....' budget is arnd 85k and I already hav a brand new cm 690 transparent case with extra 4 led 120mm fans...so don't need case and fans'''

I need rest of all hardwares required and a little confused in intel i7 920 and i7 860...which one will prove better for a hdcp pc and will b used for gaming in full hd...'

A 24 inch moniter but how's samsung p2350...? and a blueray dvd writer rest all depends on u guys just want the money to spend wisely...

So guys help me to build this monster...'

Thnkx

If budget is not the limit, it makes sense to go for i7 920, and X58 series, they oc well, offer better upgrade options etc...

i am buying these

core i7 920

gigabyte ex58 extreme

6gb crucial ballistix tracer 1600mhz

after lot of discussion with forum members ...and udit convinced me to go for core i7 920

If money is not a problem then try i7 920 D0

and in IMO i7 860 performs better than a 920...

& six core cpu's are also coming

IMO get a i7 920 as you get these features -

1)X58 Chipset rather than P55.

2)Triple Channel Memory rather than Dual Channel

3)You can Upgrade to i9 Later on on the same Motherboard only thing you'll have to change then is your Processor.

4)i7 860 will cost you more than i7 920 as it's not easily available in India..

I second aces' point. "future proof" point is load of BS IMHO. If you're spend so much, spend it for a good reason rather than spending it for sake of spending money.

860 is not that bad. If you would ever buy a gulftown stick to the 920 else go for 860 as it performs practically same, triple channel memory does not have a huge advantage over dual channel in real world benchmarks. 860 is more efficient too.

860 is not that bad. If you would ever buy a gulftown stick to the 920 else go for 860 as it performs practically same, triple channel memory does not have a huge advantage over dual channel in real world benchmarks. 860 is more efficient too.

The Lynnfields have a sort of PCIE lock, which makes Ocing that more difficult, and not to mention loads of instability. IMO if you are going for Lynfield at present i5 750 gives good value, anything over it, and it makes sense to go the X58 way.

Thanks guys... It seems this discussion will never end..!

I know that x58 chipset will proove more future proof than x55 but i won't b upgrading the cpu & mobo with rams within 4 yrs...so which way 2 go for...?

Secondly I need a full config of the 2 and a gpu but Amd or nvidia...?

Arnab Boss said:
Thanks guys... It seems this discussion will never end..!

I know that x58 chipset will proove more future proof than x55 but i won't b upgrading the cpu & mobo with rams within 4 yrs...so which way 2 go for...?

Secondly I need a full config of the 2 and a gpu but Amd or nvidia...?

Specify Budget ?

Guys today I went 2 gc avenue and inquire abt i7 860 but to my surprise it hadn't arrived yet...'

I7 920 with intel mobo @ 24k or Msi mobo @ 11k...! evga boards r not available and gigabytes r same...'

So guys Wht 2 do...'

Arnab Boss said:
Guys today I went 2 gc avenue and inquire abt i7 860 but to my surprise it hadn't arrived yet...'

I7 920 with intel mobo @ 24k or Msi mobo @ 11k...! evga boards r not available and gigabytes r same...'

So guys Wht 2 do...'

I told you but no you won't listen to me

Anyways go for i5 setup since you will use this as 24x7 downloading rig also and since you won't upgrade till 2-3 years

Core i5 750 - 9.8k

MSI P55 CD53 - 7k

Total - 16.9k

Dump the rest of your money on GPU ( ATI 5850 , ATI 5870 or GT 300 )

Back