CPU/Mobo Intel Ivy Bridge Discussion Thread

Looks like depending on your cooling and luck around 4.8 Ghz achievable with voltage below 1.4V... 5 ghz may be a bit too much for 24/7 without high volts degrading the chip....

But will still buy this only... 3770K + Z77 ...

Will watch for Z77 board reviews and decide on one... UD5 and Maximus V look pretty good till now

Not a major upgrade for existing SB owners. I'll pass.
<

OK so now what ...... PRICES
sign42.gif

But the reviews look great

http://www.engadget....review-roundup/

......but a brand new integrated GPU in the form of the HD 4000. Oh, and it does all this using a brand new 22nm manufacturing process and 3D "Tri-Gate" transistors. What does that mean for you, the user? Lower power consumption, better performance and, surprisingly, unbelievably fast media transcoding. When AnandTech turned its eyes towards Quick Sync, the on-die media transcode engine introduced with Sandy Bridge, the 3770K practically buried the competition. Using Cyberlink Media Espresso the new chip turned a DRM-stripped Blu-ray of Harry Potter (130 minutes of 1080p video) into an iPad friendly format in just seven minutes without taxing the CPU

http://hexus.net/tec...th-ln2-cooling/

Amazing! ASRock Z77 Extreme6 Overclock Intel Core i7 3770K CPU To 6.9GHz With LN2 Cooling

http://hothardware.c...ocessor-Review/

http://www.engadget....ore-processors/

Cheers

and here tom's has got all the variants with $ pricing

http://www.tomshardw...3770k,3181.html

I would be keen to know the performance difference between i7-3770K ($313) and i5-3570K ($212) ......... as the latter is almost $100 cheaper.

Thanks to xbitlabs - This is one of the best reviews about Invybridge early releases procs & looking at i7-3770K ($313) and i5-3570K ($212) .... It might be better to go for the latter & save over 5K .

http://www.xbitlabs....k-i5-3570k.html

Desktop Ivy Bridge. Intel Core i7-3770K and Core i5-3570K Processors Review

Cheers

I need some Clarifications - I have checked out a comparision of the 3770 variants (the K/S/T) & added the i5-3570 on the intel site

http://ark.intel.com...525,65523,65520

Now what is still not clear to me is

1] Why 3770; 3770S & 3770T are priced the same $278 (in spite of their Clock Speed & Max Turbo freq being different) ?

2] In the "Essentials" column - what is "Embedded Options Available" - here only the 3770 has it ?

3] What do the letters "S & T" mean ?

4] The 3770 is the only processor that lists the "maximum" options as "available/YES" - except perhaps "over-clocking" disabled (although I do not see that anywhere)

lastly

5] Is "Hyperthreading" an important feature - the i5-3570K does not have it (although it's pricing is most attractive) ? so should one still go for this

Some of the above are noob "querries" - but I hope you would help me out ?

Cheers

Now what is still not clear to me is

1] Why 3770; 3770S & 3770T are priced the same $278 (in spite of their Clock Speed & Max Turbo freq being different) ?

2] In the "Essentials" column - what is "Embedded Options Available" - here only the 3770 has it ?

3] What do the letters "S & T" mean ?

4] The 3770 is the only processor that lists the "maximum" options as "available/YES" - except perhaps "over-clocking" disabled (although I do not see that anywhere)

lastly

5] Is "Hyperthreading" an important feature - the i5-3570K does not have it (although it's pricing is most attractive) ? so should one still go for this

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]1 & 3. S and T variants are lower leakage, lower TDP and lower clocked parts i.e they are more power efficient. S and T variants will be used where lower TDP is important viz. portables. So, the standard, K, S and T variants are aimed for particular purpose.

2. Embedded options Yes means that processor that have long life time support.

5. Hyper Threading is used to address a single core as two vitrual cores, which helps in multithreading. Both i5 and i7 have 4 physical cores, however i7 supports HT and i5 do not.
[/font]

Is "Hyperthreading" an important feature - the i5-3570K does not have it (although it's pricing is most attractive) ? so should one still go for this

This is Hyper-Threading, Intel tried to implement it in earlier iterations of Intel Pentium D's and Intel Pentium 4's to combat AMD's march towards the x86 64-bit architecture. It wasn't optimised in any ways for those days and neither were applications made with HT in mind it ended up as contributing to longer pipelines and was said to be a major caveat in Intel's thought process.

Co-incidentally initial iterations of the Conroe architecture and its predecessors did not have HT, until release of Nehalem where Intel released a new more optimised format of HT.

HT doesn't help if --
  • a really threaded application, like rendering operations.
  • day-to-day computing.
  • games neither benefit, nor loose if HT is supported by the CPUs.
  • Benchmark runs, may OR may-not benefit solely from a HT enabled processor.

Hope this answers your queries, Cheers!!

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]1 & 3. S and T variants are lower leakage, lower TDP and lower clocked parts i.e they are more power efficient. S and T variants will be used where lower TDP is important viz. portables. So, the standard, K, S and T variants are aimed for particular purpose.

2. Embedded options Yes means that processor that have long life time support.

5. Hyper Threading is used to address a single core as two vitrual cores, which helps in multithreading. Both i5 and i7 have 4 physical cores, however i7 supports HT and i5 do not.
[/font]

Thanks #[member='Sudarshan_SMD'] ... Yes that make's it clear. Although I still feel Intel should have lowered the prices of the basic; S & T variants substantially and kept the K version for their "profits"
yay.gif

This is Hyper-Threading, Intel tried to implement it in earlier iterations of Intel Pentium D's and Intel Pentium 4's to combat AMD's march towards the x86 64-bit architecture. It wasn't optimised in any ways for those days and neither were applications made with HT in mind it ended up as contributing to longer pipelines and was said to be a major caveat in Intel's thought process.

Co-incidentally initial iterations of the Conroe architecture and its predecessors did not have HT, until release of Nehalem where Intel released a new more optimised format of HT.

HT doesn't help if --
  • a really threaded application, like rendering operations.
  • day-to-day computing.
  • games neither benefit, nor loose if HT is supported by the CPUs.
  • Benchmark runs, may OR may-not benefit solely from a HT enabled processor.

Hope this answers your queries, Cheers!!

Thanks to you to Buddy #[member='ALPHA17'] .... you really have a way to make things so "clear". What is now clear that for my needs, I would definately need HT & that the i5-3570 is ruled out ............. sigh

Let's keep a close watch on more stressful test's of the Ivybridge & the Z77 boards in the coming 2-3 weeks (rumors are already around that Intel "will not be able to cope/deliver" these procs in "sufficient quantities" in the coming days). I just pray & hope that the first batches of Ivybridge procs would be "stable & trouble-free".

Cheers

can you tell how the i7 k3770is more value for money over i7 2600k , stock ivy beats sandy

but sandy overclocked on air cooler beat the hell out of ivy.ivy hardly overclocks and ln2

is not feasible option for most overclocker only thing ivy scores in is integrated graphics,low

power consumption .verdict overclocker avoid ivy,non overclocker can stay with it

for more on this

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/46...k_lga_1155_ivy_bridge_cpu_review/index13.html

can you tell how the i7 k3770is more value for money over i7 2600k , stock ivy beats sandy but sandy overclocked on air cooler beat the hell out of ivy.ivy hardly overclocks and ln2 is not feasible option for most overclocker only thing ivy scores in is integrated graphics,low power consumption .verdict overclocker avoid ivy,non overclocker can stay with it for more on this http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/46...k_lga_1155_ivy_bridge_cpu_review/index13.html

Few things in which Ivy Scores

1) PCI 3.0 will only work if you have a Ivy Bridge processor otherwise it works in gen 2

2) Z77 motherboard last PCI (x4) slot wont even work without an Ivy Bridge

3) Intel smart response technology for HDD caching with a SSD ...

I see no reason to upgrade but if someone gets a Z77 motherboard it would be better if it was with Ivy

can you tell how the i7 k3770is more value for money over i7 2600k , stock ivy beats sandy

but sandy overclocked on air cooler beat the hell out of ivy.ivy hardly overclocks and ln2

is not feasible option for most overclocker only thing ivy scores in is integrated graphics,low

power consumption .verdict overclocker avoid ivy,non overclocker can stay with it

for more on this

http://www.tweaktown...ew/index13.html

Oh dear #[member='dfcols71'] ..... I do not wish to ever get into an argument over whether SB 2600K is better than the IB 3770 (in your perspective as you wish to ONLY quote a "part" of some tests - in this case oc results).

The fact is & WILL REMAIN that Ivybridge is the "next leap/generation.... or tick-tock range" of processors for Intel (Until Haswell) there are always multiple benchmarks wherein tests are performed - AND there will always be some areas wherein the previous iteration might perform better ................. or let's not forget AMD - Bulldozer & Llano (which also perform better that the Ivy 3770K in some tests) Kindly see the earlier links that I quoted......... so are we to conclude that IB 3770 is CRAP ................. gimme a break DUDE.

We need to look at IB HOLISTICALLY - and then decide whether to condemn it or praise it for what it offers.

[edit] #ronnie_gogs has rightly quoted & I believe that IB along with the Z77 boards is a mighty potent combination as of today.

PEACE

Terry

Come to think of it after all the reviews, it's pretty simple.

If you have Sandy Bridge already, there is a very little reason to upgrade to Ivy Bridge.

For everyone else, especially those who skipped SNB generation, IVB brings a lucrative options to the table. It may not overclock as insanely as SNB, it still offers a damn good OC on stock voltage. It still overclocks nicely with voltage increase, however brings a side effects of high temps and relatively, question of processor's health in long term. But besides that, for stock voltage overclockers like me it's still a good proposition. The lower power consumption and the better iGPU (when used with Virtu), plus PCI-E 3.0 and all other features are good enough reason for most of the users to upgrade to Ivy Bridge.

Now, the wait begins for the actual parts to start arriving in local market.
<

3770K and I'm leaning mostly towards Sabertooth Z77 board. There is that Maximum Gene V teasing me, but I think it's going to be Sabertooth in the end.

Now the only thing I've to decide or rather finalize is on Memory and SSD. Too many choices, too little available here in India and then there are prices. The story of Indian PC users.
tongu23e.gif

Right now, following are my top choices for Memory and SSD...

Memory: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 16GB (4 x 4GB) or G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)

SSD: Corsair Force Series 3 240GB SATA III SSD or Intel 520 Series SATA III SSD

Ripjaws X and the Intel SSD is what I would take. Not a big fan of Corsair...

As for the board, I am going to go for the Gene, simply because of the extra features....

I'm looking at the 3570k. Have good look at the gene. She is a beauty. IMHO better than the saber tooth as she has way more features at a much lower price point as far as ram goes I would suggest a 2x4gb kit with some awesome cars latency and good clocks. As far as the ssd is concerned have a look at the Kingston hyper x new ones (done know what they are called ).

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

^ I agree about Gene-V, that's the reason why it's on my consideration list. To be frank, I won't know until I've done some more reading and some more research. But yeah, the lower price point and added features are surely enticing over Sabertooth.

RAM is more difficult choice though. One thing is sure that I'm gonna go for 16GB ram, as a need for firing virtual machines at least couple times a day, has increased for me (for various browser testings and debugging). That's another reason for going for 3770K, better to have some spare threads for those VMs when I need to run more than one simultaneously. The question is which RAM to get, Low latency RAM that can overclock at least by 200-300MHz or get a good fast RAM without a need to OC with low voltages.

Another problem with SSD is that the prices are just horribly high here in local market. Either save some dough by getting SSD from US, but forget about warranty or spend more to get it from local market with warranty... aarrghhhh, this never gets easy, does it?
<

^ I agree about Gene-V, that's the reason why it's on my consideration list. To be frank, I won't know until I've done some more reading and some more research. But yeah, the lower price point and added features are surely enticing over Sabertooth.

RAM is more difficult choice though. One thing is sure that I'm gonna go for 16GB ram, as a need for firing virtual machines at least couple times a day, has increased for me (for various browser testings and debugging). That's another reason for going for 3770K, better to have some spare threads for those VMs when I need to run more than one simultaneously. The question is which RAM to get, Low latency RAM that can overclock at least by 200-300MHz or get a good fast RAM without a need to OC with low voltages.

Another problem with SSD is that the prices are just horribly high here in local market. Either save some dough by getting SSD from US, but forget about warranty or spend more to get it from local market with warranty... aarrghhhh, this never gets easy, does it?
mad44.gif

Get SSD for US. Quiet reliable these days. They wont go bad easily. Price difference is just too much to buy a high end / performance SSD here.

Back