CPU/Mobo Intel Ivy Bridge Discussion Thread

scared14.gif
#Shripad, YOUR SIGNATURE... HOW? ALREADY? HOW? HOW?

Get SSD for US. Quiet reliable these days. They wont go bad easily. Price difference is just too much to buy a high end / performance SSD here.

why. just a month or so back i saw prime selling the vertex 3 120gb for 11.5 k

heck i got the hyper x for 14k odd. and the hyper x 3k should be even cheaper than that. i do agree prices are still high, but now they just work out the same as importing them from the states (that is if you pay duty and shipping)

^ I agree about Gene-V, that's the reason why it's on my consideration list. To be frank, I won't know until I've done some more reading and some more research. But yeah, the lower price point and added features are surely enticing over Sabertooth.

RAM is more difficult choice though. One thing is sure that I'm gonna go for 16GB ram, as a need for firing virtual machines at least couple times a day, has increased for me (for various browser testings and debugging). That's another reason for going for 3770K, better to have some spare threads for those VMs when I need to run more than one simultaneously. The question is which RAM to get, Low latency RAM that can overclock at least by 200-300MHz or get a good fast RAM without a need to OC with low voltages.

Another problem with SSD is that the prices are just horribly high here in local market. Either save some dough by getting SSD from US, but forget about warranty or spend more to get it from local market with warranty... aarrghhhh, this never gets easy, does it?
mad44.gif

the main reason for me gettin the gene is that i wont really miss the 3rd pcie slot and it has a debug led. the good design is just a by-product or it being an ROG board.

as far as the ram is concerned, i would suggest the second option since you intend on gettin 16gigs of the stuff. overclocking might turn out to be an issue.

ps- still gettin the 600t ??

why. just a month or so back i saw prime selling the vertex 3 120gb for 11.5 k

heck i got the hyper x for 14k odd. and the hyper x 3k should be even cheaper than that. i do agree prices are still high, but now they just work out the same as importing them from the states (that is if you pay duty and shipping)

the main reason for me gettin the gene is that i wont really miss the 3rd pcie slot and it has a debug led. the good design is just a by-product or it being an ROG board.

as far as the ram is concerned, i would suggest the second option since you intend on gettin 16gigs of the stuff. overclocking might turn out to be an issue.

ps- still gettin the 600t ??

Well current US$ rate is screwed up. Otherwise it would be different thing. I got my Vertex 3 for laptop through $129.99 deal. Back then it came to 8.5k all inclusive. Not much to get it shipped there thanks to light weight.

And SSD prices have gone up from what I know over last 1 month (locally i mean).

#[member='YoGi-Sama']

Its not retail chip re, so dont worry, its not available here yet
yay.gif

http://www.techencla...20#entry1746324

#[member='cyberwarfare'], 600T is still on top of my list. However, if I decide on Maximus Gene, then I would probably want to build something more compact. But still haven't found any less-gigantic cases with 4-5 HDD bays that I really liked (actually, haven't yet researched for such cases seriously). So yeah, If Sabertooth then 600T is a lock, if Maximus then either something not-so-table-space-invasive or still 600T.
<

yogi,if your going for ivy 3770k how do plan to cool it or would you stick to 4.4ghz without volting change or would you go with i5 3570k

#[member='dfcols71'], I'm going to use the same cooler that I've currently, CoolerMaster V8. It's not one of best cooler around but it does a decent job and I had bought it, literally, for dirt cheap. As for overclocking, I'm a very very reserved overclocker and prefer to stay at stock voltage. So yeh, if my chip goes only till 4.2GHz at stock voltage, I would prefer to stick to that. If it does 4.4GHz as upper limit, chances are I would still stick to 4.2GHz. My current Q6600 does 3.2GHz (the max stable I had reached was 3.3 with one of the older GSkill PI pair removed), but I still prefer running it at 3.0GHz for 24x7 operation.

Guys, any idea as to when the Ivy Bridge mainstream mobile CPUs are gonna be launched?

Should I wait for Ivy or buy a new i5/i7 laptop right away?

Well, I have been playing with this for a while, and to be honest, temps are perfectly controllable.

This is my system running inside closed cabinet (Corsair 600T with stock fans ). The ocability of the chip is good. I am yet to really push this chip but for 24x7 operation, IVB will be fine.

Low voltages, reasonable temps. My goal is to get it running as high as possible with temps below 80-85C full load.

kXyRj.jpg

You know, even now those who bought the Core i7 920 (if D0 stepping, even better) to upgrade at all. The performance is still stunningly great(i7 920 could be undervolted like crazy too).

I wish I had bought one back then.

You know, even now those who bought the Core i7 920 (if D0 stepping, even better) to upgrade at all. The performance is still stunningly great(i7 920 could be undervolted like crazy too).

I wish I had bought one back then.

im sorry i dint get your post

(maybe coz im just so tired right now
<
)

IVB failed to impress me at all compared to SNB.

But I say those who bought the first Nehalems are still super comfortable and need not upgrade at all, all the way from 2008

has it failed to impress coz it hats up??

why are people so disappointed by it. at the very least, its better than SB. IPC wise. the heat issue should be sorted out by the next rev

Back