Intel unveils 10th Gen Core Ice Lake-U and Ice Lake-Y Mobile CPU's

6pack

ex-Mod
Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/14436/intel-10th-gen-10nm-ice-lake-cpus

The official marketing name for these processors will be ‘Intel 10th Generation Core’, and will feature up to four CPU cores with Intel's new Sunny Cove architecture, new Gen11 graphics supplying up to 1TF of graphics/compute performance, and built in support for Wi-Fi 6 and Thunderbolt 3.

Intel is officially launching 11 different CPUs in the 10th Gen Core lineup, ranging from Core i3 to Core i7. Details on the specifications of those CPUs has not actually been released, which raises a number of questions of how much of a launch this actually is, however we do know that the best CPUs will have a turbo frequency up to 4.1 GHz and a top GPU frequency of 1.1 GHz. Users might consider this lower than 9th Gen mobile parts, which again raises questions. CPUs will be coming to market with 9W, 15W, and 28W variants.

but we havent even got 9th gen widely, most shops keep 8th gen when i checked last month.
Intel has been facing issues with 10nm node for a long time. The 9th gen CPU supply is also severely constrained due to too much demand from their 14 nm+++ nodes which they have been stuck on for 5 years.

Problem is Intel ignored their core CPU market a bit (based on AMD's lackluster competition with Bulldozer CPU architecture) and tried to break into new markets like 5G modems,smartphones etc. which came back to bite their ass. Intel had to give up on modems entirely and sell off their modem patent portfolio and exit the market. As for smartphone Intel CPU we know how that panned out.

What they didn't count on was AMD suddenly pulling a rabbit(read Ryzen) out of their hat and upsetting the apple cart. However Intel doesn't have much of a competition in the mid to high end laptop CPU market as AMD focuses on the desktop and server segments. The Ryzen laptop APU/CPUs are always one architectural generation behind their desktop/server CPUs.

I am guessing only very few high end laptops will show up at the end of the year with 10th gen CPUs. Until the 10 nm issues are fully sorted out we can expect the Indian mainstream laptop market to subsist on 8th gen CPUs (6 core 12 thread 8750H is pretty good IMHO though),
Expect to pay through the nose for 10th gen though as Intel yields are pretty low on 10nm and keeping in mind it is Intel. If they don't have any competition they will gouge the consumers' eyes out.

Last edited:
^ any reason why APUs are still using zen plus architechture unlike their desktop chips using zen 2?
The APUs serve the lower end of the market and AMD wants them to counter Intel i3.Pentium etc.

Keeping the tight pricing of the full fat Ryzen CPUs (starting at 200$) it doesn't leave them much space to deliver APUs at a lower price point which can compete in performance and therefore cannibalize the sales of their Ryzen CPUs.The 2400G is 159$ and newer 3400G will be 149$.

Furthermore the newer architecture on a newer node will have its manufacturing capacity saturated by Epyc server CPUs first and consumer Ryzen CPUs second.
Keep in mind AMD uses 3rd party fabs like TSMC which have to serve other customers as well so AMD can't have the entire 7 nm manufacturing line to itself unlike Intel who do their fabbing in-house.

So it makes sense for them to use an older process/architecture for lower tier products and use the better node/architecture for the higher margin products.
When the newer CPUs switch to 7 nm nodes the older 12 nm node production line will be under lesser pressure and cheaper CPUs can be built on that node to maximize manufacturing line utilization.

The naming convention is pretty f**ked up. Moreover look at the base frequencies of the chips which is lower than 9th gen by quite a bit.
Seems like Intel has to rely a lot on architectural IPC improvements as the advantage they had in terms of a refined 14nm++ node to get massive frequencies is now gone with a new node.

They have steeped up their iGPU game but the highest 1068G7(which is somehwat equivalent to a Nvidia MX150) will only be found in expensive gaming laptops which have their even more powerful discrete GPUs anyways so its a moot point.

I think they should 'nt have gimped the iGPU on their mid range parts as well for the ultrabook crowd as lets be honest AMD has no chance there with the Zen+ based 3000H chips.

Back