Interesting 4G device

rajil.s

Adept
I came across this Netgear 4G modem and thought somebody would be interested here. The principal advantage of this device is that it can run bridge mode. So you could connect to your pfsense router or wireless router without NAT. To me this is a huge win.

There are various models with varying frequency bands. I suspect for India bands 3, 5 and 40 are needed. So either of LB2120-100EUS or LB2120-100AUS would be useful.

I came across this Netgear 4G modem and thought somebody would be interested here. The principal advantage of this device is that it can run bridge mode. So you could connect to your pfsense router or wireless router without NAT. To me this is a huge win.

There are various models with varying frequency bands. I suspect for India bands 3, 5 and 40 are needed. So either of LB2120-100EUS or LB2120-100AUS would be useful.
Connect wifi router to this thing and from it to your wired broadband router ?

If wired connection fails the fall back is to wireless

Connect wifi router to this thing and from it to your wired broadband router ?

If wired connection fails the fall back is to wireless
Yeah, it can do the failover. But that is not the point, as the routing capabilities of your router is probably better this. The exciting bit is that it can do IPPT (IP passthrough), thus it can act as a bridge i.e. avoid double NAT. There are not many devices out there which can do that except Cradlepoint and Sierra devices.

The alternative is to use 4g usb stick, but personally I have found them not to be very reliable.

The exciting bit is that it can do IPPT (IP passthrough), thus it can act as a bridge i.e. avoid double NAT.
I don't understand this bit too well

Take a regular ADSL modem, its in bridge mode ie cannot access the modem through the wifi router because it has no IP addr when its connected to the wifi router.

The only way i found to access that modem was to connect it to switch, and hook a laptop to that switch to access it. There is no wireless way of doing it. Wifi router also hooked up to the switch.

So i understood this product is just like a regular adsl modem just that it can accept a sim card otherwise the rest is the same. Pity it isn't sold locally

This device is useful mainly IMO for Jio (and maybe Airtel, not tested) since you get a public IPv6 address with no port blocking.

Bridge mode is just that - it is useful to avoid double NAT, plus in many cases, the routers are crap - for example Hathway. I run them in bridge mode in my office on pfsense

With bridge mode, at a very basic level, it takes ADSL in and spits out Ethernet. As simple as that. No authentication, nothing else. Just a conversion of the physical layer. You then need to do a PPPoE or other connection setup on your router.

Back