Storage Solutions Internal or external ?

samrulez

Disciple
Hey guys,
I'm buying a 1TB/2TB 7200rpm hdd. Should i go for an internal or external?
Whats the difference between the transfer rates exactly?
I don't have any specific need for an external hdd but if there isn't much performance difference might as well go for a external hdd simple because it makes data transfer easier. (and i already have 2 internal hdds for my OSes)

AFAIK an External HDD from seagate/WD will have their internal drives packaged in their casing. So no performance difference in the HDD's itself, but a sata port will have faster transfer rates than a USB2 port. If you dont want portability (for ppl with laptops) then I would recommend an Internal drive. One accidental drop of the external drive and you are putting a big question mark over data.

Personally I would choose an internal drive and screw it tight in the cabbie if it holds lots of data gathered over a long time :)

^^

I'm out of space so need more space.

Sure, SATA will offer higher speeds than USB but AFAIK our drives (the cheap ones) are limited to ~40-50 mbps.

If it is for regular use - internal would be better. If it once-in-a-while access type, like for storing movies, external would be better.

Switching off the HDD would prolong the life - that would be possible only with external drives.

Within the external drives : the really portable ones are the 2.5" ones (they run on USB power) - much more expensive than the 3.5" 'desktop' external HDDs that need their own power adapters (like laptops) - so availability of multiple plug points also would become a factor.

I have a Seagate Free Agent 1TB External HDD and I get between 30-35. IMO buy an Internal HDD it is better than external if you want to use it as a regular use.Well the the rest is upto you. Best of luck :)

Back