Internet connection for Nexus One

y2jamit

Disciple
Hey Guys. I am using HTC Google Nexus One running Android 2.2.1. I live in Mumbai and I am currently using Vodafone Mobile Connect for which I am paying Rs.499 per month for a free 500 MB download. I know that my present plan is very expensive. I recently went to a Vodafone center and tried a demo of Vodafone Live. The browsing worked perfectly but the Android market did not work. I also tried accessing the Gmail app but it didn't work either. I got a network error & authentication errors when using these 2 apps. The Vodafone rep told me that the Android market & the other apps will only work with Vodafone Mobile connect.

Now as the mobile number portability is finally going to be implemented, I am looking for a plan which will be more affordable & will provide me with more freedom. I recently saw this National GPRS Plan . Tata Docomo is providing really good plans but can anyone confirm if these plans will work for an Android phone? Can anyone from Mumbai suggest me some options which will give me a fabulous Android experience?

If you are on Prepaid, then a 2GB plan from Vodafone costs only Rs 98. You can use either Vodafone Mobile Connect or Vodafone Live.

varkey said:
If you are on Prepaid, then a 2GB plan from Vodafone costs only Rs 98. You can use either Vodafone Mobile Connect or Vodafone Live.
Thanks for replying mate. I am on post-paid on a corporate plan. Are you sure this pre-paid plan that you have mentioned is available in Mumbai for Vodafone Mobile Connect? If that is the case then I will happily shift to pre-paid. I hardly use my phone for calls & sms. GPRS is the most used feature of my phone :)

varkey said:
^ It seems to be Rs 99 for 1 GB in Mumbai.

Vodafone Bonus Cards - Bonus Pack - Bonus Offers - Mumbai

Edit : It just says Internet Browsing. Verify with CustomerCare first. :)

Well in that case it will be the basic Vodafone Live which unfortunately is not ideal for any Android phone :( Thanks for replying anyway mate. Are you aware of any other providers who can provide a cheaper internet connection for a full android experience ?

varkey said:
Just check with Customer Care. I'm using the Rs 98 plan in Chennai and you can use VMC or VLive.
I will check the same but I don't think they provide VMC that cheap here in Mumbai. I had even sent an email to their corporate assistance inbox & I even got a call from their contact center. They did not inform me about this option. Anyway I am hoping that there is some other provider who can give me what I want.

Airtel Mobile Office for 98/- per month. 2Gb limit and android market place and mail app work fine on nexus one. Available on prepaid

gauviz said:
Airtel Mobile Office for 98/- per month. 2Gb limit and android market place and mail app work fine on nexus one. Available on prepaid
Awesome :) Thank you for the information mate. I assume this plan is available in Mumbai... If this is the case then I am all set to jump to Airtel when MNP comes in Mumbai :)

I fall under the Maharashtra & Goa circle and am using the 2GB for Rs. 95 Recharge/Bonus card with the option of using both Vodafone Mobile Connect and Vodafone Live. Earlier these two were different and the purely VMC plans were similar to what you are paying now. But since around 5-6 months they have brought VMC on par with VL. This applies to Recharges/Bonus Cards of all denominations, viz, Rs. 16 for 150MB (3 day validity), Rs. 52 for 1GB and Rs. 95 for 2GB (both have 1 Month Validity).

But IINW, the Rs. 99/ 1GB should do the trick for you as it does offer VMC along with VL. As varkey said, just confirm with CC once, otherwise you can give DOCOMO a look as well.

arjpillai said:
I fall under the Maharashtra & Goa circle and am using the 2GB for Rs. 95 Recharge/Bonus card with the option of using both Vodafone Mobile Connect and Vodafone Live. Earlier these two were different and the purely VMC plans were similar to what you are paying now. But since around 5-6 months they have brought VMC on par with VL. This applies to Recharges/Bonus Cards of all denominations, viz, Rs. 16 for 150MB (3 day validity), Rs. 52 for 1GB and Rs. 95 for 2GB (both have 1 Month Validity).

But IINW, the Rs. 99/ 1GB should do the trick for you as it does offer VMC along with VL. As varkey said, just confirm with CC once, otherwise you can give DOCOMO a look as well.
Thank you for the information !!! I am overall very happy with Vodafone. It is just that VMC is very expensive on postpaid. I guess the option which you have provided means that I will have to switch to prepaid and then recharge with the options that have been given. Is that right?

Update : Just called up customer support & a rep told me that VMC on prepaid plans in Mumbai is provided on the same rates as postpaid :(

^^ Yes thats right, Bonus cards are for prepaid only. So you'll have to migrate to prepaid.

Update : Just called up customer support & a rep told me that VMC on prepaid plans in Mumbai is provided on the same rates as postpaid

I doubt so, Vodafone CC is pathetic sometimes. Try going to a Vodafone store personally. If you can then try it on another Vodafone Prepaid SIM/user (friend's).

FYI the circle rates from vodafone are different for users in and outer limits of mumbai.
Try to source a connection out of mumbai if possible.

Hmm. Thanks for your replies again guys. I guess I will visit a Vodafone store once again. If there are no other cheaper plans then I guess I will have to wait for MNP or wait for their 3G tariffs to be released.

Just wanted to know which plan you finally moved on to. Am facing similar problem and looking which plan to change to. Am now on Vodafone corporate post paid plan. :huh:

Both, Airtel and Idea provide good Edge plans in Mumbai. Rs. 98 / 2 GB! I have used both and can confirm that Idea's Edge speeds are much much better than those provided by Airtel. Also, Idea has launched a plan which gives 512 MB data, 400 Mins + 400 texts free with 249 as rental!

My friend who is also from Mumbai has a HTC Wildfire & a Vodafone Prepaid connection. He is getting VMC, that's right VMC for Rs.99 with a 1GB free download. Also all applications are working fine on his phone. I also checked his access point & it is VMC & not VL. The only hitch is that when doing a speed test on his mobile, I could see a download speed of only about 10-12 KB/s while on my phone I easily get speeds of 22-25 KB/s using VMC on my postpaid connection. I haven't checked his prepaid card on my phone. I am not sure if this has something to do with different phones or is Vodafone allocating different speeds to prepaid & postpaid customers. Anyway I am not too bothered about the speeds as I use my Nexus only for browsing & downloading Android apps & games which are mostly very small in size. I am waiting for my current billing cycle to end & I will switch over to prepaid. In the mean time MNP is going to be implemented & I expect a lot of good changes in the tariffs of all providers :)

Back