Iomega Zip 250

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehta_april

Disciple
Guys I want to sell my Iomega Zip 250 drive.
Details are:
Condition: 9/10 (that 1 is also deducted because of outer scratches, working-wise its perfect 10/10)
Working: 10/10
Type: External Storage Drive
Any Issues/Repairs: Never
Accessories: Requires USB Cable, but I'm not having that with me now.
Other:
- Assembled in Malaysia
- Very rarely used
- Very good for storing very-valuable or business data, which lasts for 100's of years
- No external drivers required, just plug and play.

PRICE: 2200/-
Open for rational-negotiations. :)
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/6489/dsc02508af.jpg
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/5913/dsc02509p.jpg
http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/2225/dsc02510x.jpg
http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/4739/dsc02511d.jpg
http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/742/dsc02513t.jpg
http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/309/dsc02514i.jpg
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/8147/dsc02515mh.jpg
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/5940/dsc02516t.jpg

mehta_april said:
- Very good for storing very-valuable or business data, which lasts for 100's of years

That is very inaccurate and misleading information.

Potential buyers, please be aware that at best these are only as reliable as a floppy drive. These are meant to be used as a quick means for transferring data in an era when Thumb drives didn't exist and Rewritable optical media and drives were uber costly. They make very poor choice as back up devices as the quoted bullet points seems to imply. And yeah I do own one of these myself and it is no longer in working condition after the infamous click of death.

Click of death - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had SCSI verision of this. Found it extremely delicate and useless after thumb drives became cheap. Sold it in scrap a year back.

Lord Nemesis said:
That is very inaccurate and misleading information.

[quote name='sanjeevgpc']I had SCSI verision of this. Found it extremely delicate and useless after thumb drives became cheap. Sold it in scrap a year back.
Potential buyers, please be aware that at best these are only as reliable as a floppy drive. These are meant to be used as a quick means for transferring data in an era when Thumb drives didn't exist and Rewritable optical media and drives were uber costly. They make very poor choice as back up devices as the quoted bullet points seems to imply. And yeah I do own one of these myself and it is no longer in working condition after the infamous click of death.

Click of death - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/QUOTE]
Buddy, I'm not making any comparative-analysis, rather I'm speaking that its better to store the data.....but though if you want to make the comparative analysis, than you may compare it with Optical-disks, which use to lose their thin chemical-sheet after a certain time, and thus you lose the data...even though you kept them with due diligence...it may lose. NOTE AGAIN: It may lose, not talking about all the cases.

Now take your thumb-drive or pen-drive example....tell me what if you having some really very valuable data...and someday you plug it...and your data gets lost coz of some mishap.

Next I will take that comparison against floppy-drive. If you remember properly, than you will be knowing that floppy-drive provides just few mb's to store and are very-very delicate to be used regularly...and again they dont lasts too long.

Now I talk about Zip drives, they were meant to keep the data comparatively very safe than others. It doesn't lose any chemicals as compact-discs do. These are not as volatile as floppy-discs. I tell you my very personal experience.....I've my uncle in some State-Bank...and they still rely on using Zip-Drives to store the data. Perhaps, few of my friends having textile-mills in northern india also uses the same....seeing them only I bought it that time.

And guys, who are saying that it doesnt lasts for 100years or so.....I would like to share that....Zip drive were not meant for rough-tough use like pen-drive.....rather they were meant to store crucial data for a long-period. When you back-up your business data...or alike you dont want to use it daily again and again....rather you will be looking that you store it somewhere and keep it in safe for couple of years.....thats what zip were meant for. If you are think that these were just a portable means of storing the data....like some external storage devices...than I tell you what would you say...if we talk about internal zip-drives...which were not for plu-n-play purpose......!

And thus, this was in my-mind while creating this thread.....I'm sorry, if it is mis-leading even-though of this explanation.....now I wont like to put myself again in replying such discussion...if somebody thinks I've done something wrong, than my sincere apologizes but still I'll stick to my statements. I'm not pointing anything as counter-statement to anyone....but I just want to say what I really think-off.

^^ My point was made against that one line that I quoted from your post and you are reiterating the same thing again by saying the Zip disks are comparatively safer than other media and that they are meant for backing up critical data. That is inaccurate as I pointed out. As a seller, you are entitled to post specs of the products you are selling, but if you are going to post other comments that endorse the product like this, make sure what you are posting is accurate and well researched.

It doesn't matter what kind of material was used for the discs, but Zip drives and disks have a proven track record of failing and the rate and consistency of failure was so high that Iomega was actually sued over it. These things were never meant to be used as backup devices. Would anyone in their right mind ever use a media for back up critical data if there is no guarantee that either the drive or disk would work the next time you try to try use them? The biggest problem was how both the disks and drives were unreliable. If a disk goes bad for any reason, any drive that you try to use it in guaranteed to get damaged. Any other good disk that put in such drive later will also get damaged and the vicious cycle would continue.

Almost all media in existence at the time was more reliable than Zip disks. Zip disks were meant to be a higher capacity equivalents for floppy disks and that's what they ever were. They offered higher capacity, but the reliability was not much better than a floppy disk. Theoritically they may seem to be more reliable, but in reality their failure rates were so high that In fact good quality floppy disks were much more reliable than Zip disks

In the days of pendrives. this is quite a primitive technology.

I sold this along with other stuff for Rs.12 per kilo. :)

No offense for OP but its the way it is.

Is this guy a joke or what? Trying to sell a ZIP drive for 2200 bucks, dude you should pay the guy that much to take it off you.

^^ Guys lets not crap the OP's sale any more than necessary. My only concern was the point that I had originally quoted from the OP's post which IMO was misleading to any potential buyer who is unaware of the history and ill repute that Zip drives obtained during their brief life span. The seller himself might have been ignorant of these facts, but a potential buyer needs to be fully aware of what they are buying into which is why I posted my comments. Otherwise, if some one buys this without knowing these things and runs into problems, he would blame TE as well for allowing such inaccurate info go unnoticed in sale threads.

I wanted to get one badly wayyy back in 1999, but they were prohibitively expensive then, but of course technology has changed now. I would like to know if this zip drive would hold the data more safely than an external drive and how ?

^^

It was 99 and we used to load windows with 28 floppies, Ofcourse 250 mb inside a pocket was a god send back then.

The simplest answer is no, Its a magnetic technology and not reliable. for that even your mobiles 1gb mmc is more secure than this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back