iOS development discussion thread

avi

Skilled
Okay, this is iOS development discussion thread, as few members are interested :hap5: My friend works in Castle Rock Research [earlier Robosoft] He answers my most of the doubts.

For iOS app development you don't need any programming language knowledge. Not even C ! But if you know C, then it will be lot easier to learn [like program flow, data types, functions etc].

Our objectives should be

• first learning Objective C 2.0
  • Then Cocoa Touch [Cocoa not required]
  • Then we can start off with iPhone SDK

What you need ?

• Well, officially, you need to own Mac :p But you can run it in VMware.
  • IDE used is Xcode
  • And enthusiasm and patience :p

Books :

1. Programming In Objective C 2.0 by Stephen G. Kochan - This is the best and easy well written Objective C 2.0 book. The language used is simple and one can understand easily. Guys this is the must book.

2. Beginning Iphone Sdk Programming With Objective-C: Wei-meng Lee - Explains how to work with IDE and developing. Book is written assuming user knows Objective C.

3. Head First IPhone Development: Tracey Pilone, Dan Pilone - I hope you know about Head First series books. This book also assumes reader to know Objective C. The book is full of images, graphics explanation and humor. Really good one.

4. IPhone SDK Application Development: Jonathan Zdziarski

5. Objective-C For IPhone Developers, A Beginner's Guide: James A. Brannan

Podcasts :

Cocoa touch - link

Official tutorial videos :

[In the order of priority]

1. Developing Apps for iOS - link

2. iPhone Application Programming - link

Other video tutorials :

1. iPhone Application Development - link

2. Lynda, iPhone and iPod Touch Essential Training - link

3. Lynda, iOS 4 App Development New Features - link

Resources :

The Official Resource Repository - link

Other resources :

1. iOS Overview - link

2. Learning Objective-C: A Primer - link

3. Creating an iPhone Application - Link

4. iPhone programming guide by Apple - link

5. View controllers programming guide - link

6. Design patterns - This contains all kinds of design patterns - link

these design patterns one must know :

a. Model, View & Controller design pattern - link

b. Singleton design patterns - link

I will update more links when I get them :)

So lets start developing apps for the evil :bye22:

Re: book for Objective C and iOS dev

Instead of book I will recommend taking free online course from Stanford University:

iPhone Application Development (Winter 2010) Online Course, Stanford Computer Science, Alan Cannistraro | Free Video lectures, Download

It should help you wrap your head around the core concepts and get started. for Reference, you can check Resources for Apple Developers - Apple Developer - Best resources for iOS & mac development. Period:p

the few things worth checking out on apple dev site are:

iOS Overview

Learning Objective-C: A Primer

Creating an iPhone Application

Best of Luck & Hope it helps:D

Thanks a lot !! Those are really nice videos. I have also got Lynda's videos. [link1, link2].

In books I got Programming in Objective C-2.0, iPhone SDK and Head first one. The head first one is really interesting with colorful images and humor.

Deal is, I have decided to develop my own app for my college project*, which will be next year. So I almost have some 6-8 months to learn. Even if I fail, my friend, who already develops apps, agreed to give me source code of some already done project. So it's a win - win :D

If anybody has a simple ideas for college project, please post here :eek:hyeah:

*rest 119 students in class, will be buying projects from institutes which costs some 10-15K

avi said:
Thanks a lot !! Those are really nice videos. I have also got Lynda's videos. [link1, link2].

In books I got Programming in Objective C-2.0, iPhone SDK and Head first one. The head first one is really interesting with colorful images and humor.

Deal is, I have decided to develop my own app for my college project*, which will be next year. So I almost have some 6-8 months to learn. Even if I fail, my friend, who already develops apps, agreed to give me source code of some already done project. So it's a win - win :D

If anybody has a simple ideas for college project, please post here :eek:hyeah:

*rest 119 students in class, will be buying projects from institutes which costs some 10-15K
Let me know how you start off ! I'm interested but never got around to actually starting off on stuff. Though i do make some WRT based stuff for Symbian and do a bit of bug testing in MeeGo.

I have already started :D

I will send you ebooks ;)

I have not started with videos, but started reading Programming Objective C-2.0, finished first 3 chapters, just basics. The book is very well written and one can understand it even if he is not aware of C !

avi said:
I have already started :D

I will send you ebooks ;)

I have not started with videos, but started reading Programming Objective C-2.0, finished first 3 chapters, just basics. The book is very well written and one can understand it even if he is not aware of C !
Okay thats perfect ! You have my id , right ? PM me if not and i'll send it across to you. Would love those eBooks.

I have id, will send by them evening.

How about this - edit the thread title and make this as single iOS dev thread. Those who are interested will join and I keep posting here programs / source codes / questions :)

I have iPhone videos already downloaded & can send via mail to people who don't have access to broadband. so interested members can PM me;)

iPhone videos are licensed under Creative Commons. so I guess redistribution is not a problem:)

avi said:
How about this - edit the thread title and make this as single iOS dev thread. Those who are interested will join and I keep posting here programs / source codes / questions :)

Good idea:hap2:

But this thread must not be used to distribute *ahem* stuff. Do feel free exchange free resources.

OP updated with resources, links :)

Gaurish said:
I have iPhone videos already downloaded & can send via mail to people who don't have access to broadband.

I love you :eek:hyeah:

@dhruv & guarish - YGPM and thanks for editing the thread title :bye22:

dhruvrock2000 said:
And if hosting any ahem stuff is a problem then just link me to it and i'll put it up on my server ;) TE won't come in the picture :)
I think a TE mod should be slightly more careful while framing his sentences. :p

Was waiting for this to happen. This will be awesome. I have started C and do HTML/CSS mostly but the iPhone app development is so intriguing.

AVI pm me you chat or some social ID.

ok so where's the discussion guys? The title says iOS dev discussion!!! :p anyways i am proficient in C , C++, Java Core but i still don't know how to create apps for the iOS just started researching and T.E came up in of the hits! anyone successfully developed any application yet? for my email plz PM me :D

Lets get going!

Noob question: Is it possible for a person like me witth 12th standard level c++ knowledge to start iOS development with these tutorials, or are you all super brainy code ninjas on this thread :p?

Yes you can. The C++ experience will not be of much help. The general programming concepts which you have developed will help.

Learning Objective C will be the first hurdle and the tutorials will be very helpful.

Everybody starts with "Hello World". Nobody makes Angry Birds in their first attempt.

Back