iPhone 4S on contract with Airtel or Aircel

Rahul++

SuperUser
Skilled
Hello,

My dad wants to purchase iPhone 4S (One for me too if the contract schemes are good). Well, I found couple of articles saying Airtel and Aircel offers iPhone on Contract basis with 50% off and 100% money back kind of offers.

I have some queries regarding the same. Do I have to pay full amount of iPhone if I want to buy it on 2 years contract with any of the carriers? Or it will be credited in monthly bills? Plans look tempting as we get lots of free minutes and around 2GB data per month for around 1k, are their any hidden charges?

I am asking these queries here because Airtel Customer representatives DIDN'T know about their plans at all (Sad but the truth :/)

Better buy a unlocked and have a peace of mind . Either ways you pay full amount.

All phones sold in India are factory unlocked by default.

@OP - if you will buy from Airtel/Aircel you will be paying the MRP i.e. 43.5k whereas the same phone is available for around 3k cheaper in the market if you wanna buy with warranty pieces and 10-11k cheaper if you buy without warranty/imported pieces.
Also if you have an iPhone then you can ask for the iPhone plan from Airtel/Aircel irrespective of whether you have bought the phone from them or not.

AFAIK if you buy it from Airtel or Aircel it is indeed locked.

No, it is not. My friend bought it from Aircel on the launch day itself. Got a postpaid VIP number worth 10k(according to them) alongwith the phone for free.
He popped in his Airtel SIM then and there and started using the phone on Airtel and gave the VIP no to one of his relatives.
He has been using the phone on his Airtel no since then.

rdst_1 but do they sell phones without taking their plans ??. I remember seeing that the price is applicable only if phone is taken from either of the service providers.

If they do sell phone without plans, why do people still end up taking their lame plans and rant ??

rdst_1 but do they sell phones without taking their plans ??. I remember seeing that the price is applicable only if phone is taken from either of the service providers.

If they do sell phone without plans, why do people still end up taking their lame plans and rant ??

No, you have to take their plans, but only for 1 or 3 months, don't remember exactly .After that it is your wish whether to continue with them or not. Plus, we were given the choice to select any plan, so we selected the lowest rental plan we could find.
Also anyone with an iPhone is eligible for their iPhone plan, whether you bought the phone from them or not.
So even if the OP finds their iPhone plans endearing, he should buy the phone from other retailers for 3k cheaper and then get the iPhone plans activated on their numbers.

2 months back I bought an iPhone 4s from Aircel. In the past I have bought and iPhone 3gs from Aircel and an iPhone 3g from Airtel (failtel). From my experience Aircel is far far far better than Airtel.

Heres How.

When you buy the phone you have to pay full amount on both the phones upfront, a couple of months back Aircel was selling 16gb 4s at 42.5k whereas failtel was selling at 44.5k.

Airtels 3g is a sham in Gurgaon. The speed is so so bad that it reminds me of the telephone modem days. So if you are buying for 3g, first get the speeds confirmed by someone who already has failtel 3g on their device.

As per the plans provided by Failtel you have to pay a certain amount of money irrespective the number of calls you make. Say 1000 bucks every month for 2000 bucks worth of calls. Now if your calling is enough you can save some money but if its limited like mine, then doling out 1k every month to the thugs at failtel is a loss.

At Aircel you get 300 minutes, a few hundred sms and 2gb edge data (which speed wise, is more or less same as failtels 3g, at least in my area) free for every month for a complete year. NO rental at all. If you cross the number of minutes allocated then the calling rate of 50p per minute is applied.

Also if you check out the plans otherwise too, Aircel has much better plans than Failtel.

PS. iPhone 5 will be out soon. Try waiting and buying that instead of the 4s. I am.
http://www.bgr.in/news/exclusive-apples-iphone-5-india-launch-plans/

if u really want an iphone, then u should buy 3gs from aircel. they have attractive offers on 3GS

Sorry this is Off-Topic i have iphone 3gs, htc desire z and bold 990. Of the three phone i like bold 9900 to be the best.(personal opinion)

Thanx

Back