iPhone 5 Will Put Galaxy S III To Shame : Foxconn CEO

As long as Apple doesn't include even the basic features like memory expandability of some sort in the iPhone (that does not require connecting to the internet), in my book, it would remain just as much unless as it ever was no matter what else they do. As for software, it seriously requires a major overhaul. Even the Symbian that I had in 2004 had some sort of home screen apart from the standard grid of icons that every phone has and the iPhone doesn't have an usable home screen leave alone any sort of customization ability for the kind of age we are living in. Frankly, I don't understand how it can even be classified as a smartphone. If iPhone and WP7 devices are smartphones, then Android and Symbian devices need a new name like Super Smartphones to differentiate them from the rest.

iPhone was always a rich man's phone.
I still remember the cheapest 2.1 Android phone was for 5k..a Karbon phone.
iPhone -The one's made from cheap labour, particularly the chinese and sold at prices of gold bars.
Even the OS is a modded open source. Something which was available already and just branded it as iOS.
So even in my book, iPhone would be device when i have throw-away cash with me.
So iPhone 5 would be a complete NO

Lol @ the person claiming iPhone home screen is not usable. Outdated? Yes, but unusable? Hell no!

On topic: What else would you expect the CEO of the manufacturing company to say? He will never say "Our next iPhone will be marginally better than the SIII"

Sure S3 looks UGLY, but looks and performance never mix much!
I hope iPhone 5 is as good. It will be one Helluva Battle, with WP8 gaining lot of interest everyday..

Try the One X, you might change your mind :)

PS: Refuse to go into Android vs iOS, its been debated to death and its upto the user. Personally, android for power users and iOS for users that need a phone that would "Just work".

As long as Apple doesn't include even the basic features like memory expandability of some sort in the iPhone (that does not require connecting to the internet), in my book, it would remain just as much unless as it ever was no matter what else they do. As for software, it seriously requires a major overhaul. Even the Symbian that I had in 2004 had some sort of home screen apart from the standard grid of icons that every phone has and the iPhone doesn't have an usable home screen leave alone any sort of customization ability for the kind of age we are living in. Frankly, I don't understand how it can even be classified as a smartphone. If iPhone and WP7 devices are smartphones, then Android and Symbian devices need a new name like Super Smartphones to differentiate them from the rest.
Although you give many valid points, there are still many people who prefer the simplicity of iOS over Android any day.

That said, I think Apple engineers must be really scratching their heads on what to do. The iPhone is such a legacy device with a perfect design. Now they have no idea how to introduce customizability to the phone without ruining the Apple brand and becoming another smartphone in the flock.

Although you give many valid points, there are still many people who prefer the simplicity of iOS over Android any day..

Its simplicity is because its essentially a dumb (multimedia) phone and there is no doubt that it fits in perfectly with the dumb phone market. People buy it for simplicity, not for its capabilities. The dumb phone market is obviously a big market and the sales for iPhone is just a reiteration of sales figures for just about any other popular dumb phone in that market. Its pretty much like what Nokia 3310 was 10 years ago. An insanely popular dumb phone. Smartphones on the other hand are a niche market and there aren't many people that really need them. They are always going to be small market and smartphone itself is a constantly changing definition.

What bugs me is that iPhone is categorized as a smartphone when it no way fits into that category. Fans quite often defend its classification using the 10 year old definition of smartphone capabilities. But frankly, I don't that the latest iPhone in the market is even fully capable of what I expected a smartphone to be capable of back in 2004. Having Internet capabilities and third party apps does not make it a smartphone. I have seen Samsung dumb phones capable of such things back in 2003.

Lastly, here is a small taste of connectivity capabilities of a 2012 smartphone (These are out of the box capabilities of the phone). Can iPhone 4s or even the yet to be launched iPhone 5 have any hope of coming anywhere close to that at least after jail breaking?

Having Internet capabilities and third party apps does not make it a smartphone.
In direct contradiction to your statement, I think this is what defines a smartphone. It's what both Android and iOS can do. The sole difference in Android is being able to do geeky stuff as posted above. But even for the average geek (or "smart person"), such things maybe fun to do, but is certainly not practical for everyday use.

No, Smartphone does not only means to run browser and third party apps. Its much more than that which Android is capable of doing so.

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

Heard/seen anything like this for dumb iPhone?

this is exactly going to the way which we tend to avoid. FLAMEWAR :chair:
simply put both the OS are grt and let the prospective users decide wt they want.
There is no way either OS is unusable or dumb. it's our perception.

So Peace !!

P.S : i am happy with my focus :bleh:

Lol, 38k is for what is inside and not for plastic body. Just wrapping a phone in glass/aluminium does not make it worth 45k. :lol:

I guess some one found Gems in a plastic Body or may be some gold plated Motherboard
Plug in usb COPY AND PASTE lol

Samsung (Korean) and 3-4 Taiwanese manufacturers (Hitachi, Sharp) were involved in price-fixing of LCD panels for a few years. Samsung turned into a witness and avoided large fines when that ring was busted. Foxconn is a Taiwanese company and the CEO seems to be still pissed about that. (Foxconn was a minor shareholder at that time and now a 40 percent share holder in Sharp). Further comments from the guy yesterday.

ohk...didn't knew this....

Unless they release the specs of the upcoming iPhone, the CEOs statement is quite dumb. Surprised, he would even say that.

Back