Iphone question

I heard buying an iphone from us is too cheap @100$.

Is it true ? How much i have to spend if i want to use it in india.

How much charges will be applied if someone courier me from US.

It is possible, with strings attached (though I am not sure if at present any scheme for Iphone). Usually in US or in many European countries one can get a phone for free (almost), provided one subscribes to certain schemes of a telephone vendor for a finite period of time usually three to 5yrs. Catch is that if you break this contract one needs to pay the full cost of the phone to the vendor.

What manoja2k said holds true, let me elaborate a bit. You have to buy an iPhone (lets say 3G, for 99 USD) but you have to purchase a data service which costs 30 USD per month, and you are tied to a 2 year contract.Thats how AT&T absorbs the price of the iPhone.

You *can* break contract, but that requires you to pay a cancellation fee (175 USD IIRC) and a month of usage charges on top of the 99 USD for the Phone. TE peeps who are more knowledgeable about the iPhone/AT&T contract please correct me here.

Anyways, you can check the Terms from AT&T yourself here: link

Just to add to what Powersurge has written above, I've also heard that canceling the contract prematurely affects your credit rating so not a lot of people would be willing to go that route.

Well heres all the different charges which you will have to pay for Iphone from US ie from AT&T
Iphone 3G-100$+ variable tax depending on where you buy it
Activation fee-36$
1 month Usage charge- 76$ you can cancel contract after 1 mth as if you cancel
before it then you will have to give the phone back.
Cancellation fee-- 175$

that comes to a total of approx 390$

Add to that courier charges.

Amaresh said:
Just to add to what Powersurge has written above, I've also heard that canceling the contract prematurely affects your credit rating so not a lot of people would be willing to go that route.

I don't think so, as long as you pay the cancellation penalty or cancellation fee. In fact on an earlier occasion I did this for Sprint PCS. I had to give the complete cost of the phone to Sprint, which I had got for free. My credit rating did not get affected because of this. I know it because I used to get a free monthly copy of my credit report from one of the rating agencies.

As a summary I can say that, in US, price of a device lies within a range in a given period. Any price outside this range means something is shady...

Just to add to the discussion. I just stumbled on this new information when I was going through the Apple.com website. Apparently, you can just walk in to ann Apple Store in the US and choose to buy the iPhone as a gift for someone. In that case, the iPhone will be locked to AT&T and you will have to pay $699 plus sales tax (wherever applicable) which is app. 32K for a 32GB 3GS iPhone but you will get a iPhone directly from the Apple Store, no questions asked. This is completely legal and hassle-free. So, if you have the moolah...you can get what you want. Here's a link for more info. Read the fineprint information in gray at the bottom of the page. Apple - iPhone - Buy iPhone 3G

Hope this helps! :)

Back