Iphone se 2020 launched at Rs 42500

girish925

Adept
The iPhone SE is essentially an iPhone 8 with a better camera and processor — and a lower price tag. Although it’s a relatively old design, this iPhone SE has Apple’s A13 Bionic chip, the same that’s available in the latest iPhone 11 and 11 Pro models. pricing starts at $399 for a version with 64GB of storage. India pricing starts at rs 42500 for 64GB storage

Are these made in india? Pricing is a little high. Still , perfect phone for my dad. small screen, great camera for casual photos and guaranteed updates for 3~4 years minimum

It's Apple after all, why are you guys surprised with the pricing ?
Even the European prices are high, it costs 399 GBP and 479 Euros without taxes for the base variant.
Not to forget, the INR is almost at an all time low against the dollar and the govt. jacked up GST on phones from 12% to 18% just last month.

Whenever a new iPhone is launched in India, it's not Made in India. That's why the pricing is on the higher side. Typically, after 6-8 months of India launch, an iPhone is manufactured in India. That's why, in my opinion, buying this iPhone SE (2020) after 6-8 months would be a good decision. Price would be much lower by that time.

Don't forget that Apple typically supports every iPhone for about 4-5 years.

Whats surprising is that all the news and review outlets are comparing it with OnePlus 8 just coz both cost 40K. :banghead:

Well if Apple can dare to sell wheels for $700 then a tiny phone for $400 is going to fly off the shelves.

Well if Apple can dare to sell wheels for $700 then a tiny phone for $400 is going to fly off the shelves.
We've forgot about this $1,000 Gem?

5uqMhGy.jpg

It actually makes sense to buy at $300-400. For INR 42000, it simply does not. People who want a capable and small phone would buy it and I definitely see a use for it. I believe such people are few in number.

@42k and even with 4 years updates, this is a hard sell for me.

Redmi note phones are around the 14k mark if you want one major OS update and 6+ GB ram. And Redmi keeps refreshing their lineup every six to eight months. So every year for 3-4 years, you could jump to a new better Redmi phone without selling your old phone and get updates. If you sell the old phone, you can jump to the mid range 20-25k price tag K or Poco series and still upgrade easily for another 2-3 years if you keep selling the old phone. Going the android way, you get both updated software and hardware and cameras. On this iphone, you're stuck there forever unless you have a bottomless wallet.

govt. jacked up GST on phones from 12% to 18% just last month.

This is one of the only times I have seen this used correctly. Else for phones assembled in India, increase in GST should not cause a high increase in cost, because the input taxes (credits) are 18% already.

The GST is in addition to import duties right? I think import duties are around 15%. So 399+15%+18%~$530. Very close to the 42k INR price.

This kind of phone should be made for the globe right here in India. Indian pricing will automatically come under 30k in that scenario which I think is a fair price considering it has top tier camera and chip followed by updates and not to forget the built quality. Anything above 30k is overpriced which is not a big deal considering that it's Apple and people will still buy it like their other products.

Doesn't work that way afaik, even if it's manufactured here the price will be on par with the global one. People will buy at lower prices here and ship it elsewhere and if they introduce region locking it's a loss for legit local buyers.
Goods in China don't come with a 30% discount for Chinese people, they pay the same as everyone else even though everything is manufactured there.

@42k and even with 4 years updates, this is a hard sell for me.

Redmi note phones are around the 14k mark if you want one major OS update and 6+ GB ram. And Redmi keeps refreshing their lineup every six to eight months. So every year for 3-4 years, you could jump to a new better Redmi phone without selling your old phone and get updates. If you sell the old phone, you can jump to the mid range 20-25k price tag K or Poco series and still upgrade easily for another 2-3 years if you keep selling the old phone. Going the android way, you get both updated software and hardware and cameras. On this iphone, you're stuck there forever unless you have a bottomless wallet.

and you’ll be left with a shit software and camera all your life.

former iPhone hater here, but after several Android flagships and switching to iPhone this year, ios has come a long way now and the camera is really so much better than any phone i’ve used

but yeah there are people who don’t use the camera much like my brother who has switched to a oneplus after trying out 11 for a while.

anyway, at 42k it’s not worth it. just saying comparing a redmi and an iphone is so wrong at many levels. the experience is drastically different.

Doesn't work that way afaik, even if it's manufactured here the price will be on par with the global one. People will buy at lower prices here and ship it elsewhere and if they introduce region locking it's a loss for legit local buyers.
Goods in China don't come with a 30% discount for Chinese people, they pay the same as everyone else even though everything is manufactured there.
Case with China is totally different, they don't want to promote foreign products with aggressive pricing that's all. Heck they even introduce additional taxes on them to discourage people. They want their domestic industry to survive which is not the case with India since we don't have domestic players (at least in electronics) rolling anymore.

Back