iPhones Are Not Designed To Operate In Indian Environment

krishnandu

Skilled
TL;DR

I always had a dream of getting an iPhone and I do agree that I do not have that affordability conditions (aukat) to get an iPhone. But still I dared to get iPhone 6S 64 GB for whopping 53,499/- from Flipkart with a 1.5 years (18 months) EMI on my Credit Card. I couldn't even tell this to my family as they would never understand the hype or enthusiasm of getting an so called "i" device.

Now it's just been 3 months and suddenly from last Sunday (7th Aug) my phone started showing me "This Cable Or Accessory is Not Certified' and blah blah when nothing was plugged in. So I called up Apple Support and they told me it might be occurring due to some dust and all and asked me to try to clean with some cotton clothes. Though I tried the same but failed to fix the issue and thought of leaving it as it is, as it was not creating any functional problem for me.

But from last Tuesday (9th Aug) it stopped getting charged. Also I noticed some green marks on the Lightning cable. I tried the same with the lightning cable provided with iPad, but still the phone was not charging. Finally again I end up calling Apple Support and they asked me to take it to Apple Service Center and shared the list of Authorized Apple Service Center in my City i.e. Kolkata.

Out of all the service centers, I found Macintel Solutions close to my home which was also a Premium Service Provider as per the tag in Apple Website. I took the phone there on Thursday (i.e. yesterday) and they told me that there should be 8 pins in the lightning port in iPhone and one pin is missing. Also regarding the cable they said that it caught Sulphur, may be due to humidity and moisture or it might have came in contact of water.

They took the phone for further diagnosis and gave me a receipt of such and told me that they will inform me what needs to be done after the diagnosis.

Now today, they called me up and said the same thing, that a pin is missing, and that's considered as a damage which is not covered under warranty. Also there is no scope of fixing the lightning port and I have to go for replacement option only and for that I have to pay 24k.

I just said them I won't pay a single penny for the phone as it's still under warranty and more than that I'm already paying EMI for that phone which I have to continue it for another 15 months. They asked me to take the phone back in that case.

I called up Apple Service Center again and explained the whole thing, and even they said they have kind of Limited Warranty and they are not sure whether it can be repaired or not. And only way to verify the same is to call other Authorized Service Provider in my city and explain the problem and ask whether it can be repaired or I have the only option to replace.

Though I tried explaining the support executive that in no way I damaged that product and how can it not be covered in warranty. But the executive over the phone said that Apple have Limited Warranty and only provide service free of cost for manufacturing defects which is only valid upto 2 months from the date of purchase and hardware repairs within warranty if it is not damaged. Like if the PIN was there and it was not charging then it'd have been covered within warranty but as the PIN is not there it's considered as a damage.

I don't know what to do with such warranty which doesn't covers half of the things and everyone asks whether I have done insurance of my phone which is again a term I was hearing first time. Insurance of a phone? Really? (May be I'm backdated but really I have never heard anyone insuring their phone).

Well, right now I think I'll give other Service Centers a call in my city and will check with them once if it can be repaired. If not then I don't think there's anything to do with so called Apple's Limited Warranty. In that case it's better to get it fixed by a local shop who can easily replace the lightning jack for few hundred bucks.

Because either way it's not in usable state. And I cannot afford to pay another 24k when I'm still left with 15 months EMI. And even if I do, what's the guarantee that the phone will not catch sulphur again out of humidity or moisture issues or anything else again in next 3 months.

This is really pathetic service. Even sub 10k android phone companies provider better service than this. At least they honor the phone being in warranty.

I feel totally lost and frustrated as I have to pay EMI for 15 months more and I can't use the phone even. So without fixing it from local shop there's nothing I can do.

But if you think it wisely, most of the Indian people sweats a lot and most of them being using Android phone I have never seen such issues. Even I sweat a lot and never came across such issues with any other phone atleast in 3 months of proper usage. If I would have misused it, I'd have not complain here.

As you can understand, owing a 50k phone, I cared for it like I ever did for anything else. So it's not even the case of mishandling. But still I have to suffer due to these rules.

Write an email to Apple directly Or Call them on a Intl Toll Free no. Since your phone is in warranty escalate the issue with Apple directly.
AFAIK Apple abroad covers the phone's warranty to its fullest extent, if the phone cannot be repaired they'll simply replace it, no questions asked.
Take it up with them on how the service center is ripping you off by charging such an exorbitant amount for a phone still under warranty.
I'm not an apple fan but their customer service is the best in the world, since they're aren't directly selling here in India yet They offer limited warranty through their re-sellers and 3rd class service centers.
Since you haven't done that yet, I think that's your only option. All the best.

EDIT:

Btw the lightning cable and headphone jack assembly is a $15 part - Just goes to show you how much these service centers are robbing people blind.

http://www.repairsuniverse.com/iphone-6s-dock-port-headphone-jack-flex-cable-replacement-black.html?utm_source=JerryRigEverything&utm_medium=Charging Port Black iPhone 6s&utm_campaign=JerryRigEverything

If you can procure it, get it repaired from a reputed 3rd party shop or if you're brave enough you can try yourself .

Last edited:
Write an email to Apple directly Or Call them on a Intl Toll Free no. Since your phone is in warranty escalate the issue with Apple directly.
AFAIK Apple abroad covers the phone's warranty to its fullest extent, if the phone cannot be repaired they'll simply replace it, no questions asked.
Take it up with them on how the service center is ripping you off by charging such an exorbitant amount for a phone still under warranty.
I'm not an apple fan but their customer service is the best in the world, since they're aren't directly selling here in India yet They offer limited warranty through their re-sellers and 3rd class service centers.
Since you haven't done that yet, I think that's your only option. All the best.

But do you think that would help? As in Apple India site, it's written they provide Limited Warranty in India. https://support.apple.com/en-in/contact

But do you think that would help? As in Apple India site, it's written they provide Limited Warranty in India. https://support.apple.com/en-in/contact

Yeah it wouldn't hurt to take them upto task on this issue. Also refer to what I wrote in the edit to my first post

Few years ago a friend who had a 2010 macbook pro, it's motherboard died. He got it replaced out of warranty, free of charge courtesy of Apple. He went to different service centers to get quotes on the repair, all of them quoted between 25-30k. Until there was a news report about Apple replacing motherboards on 2010 macbook pro's due to faulty graphics chips for free. So he went back and forth with them on the issue for weeks, until Apple decided to not charge him and he could walk into a service center, get the mobo replaced free of any cost.

Personally, I would advise to buy the part and change it yourself or get it changed from outside. No company will honor warranty for a damaged device. You can try escalating with Apple US directly and stating your case by saying that there is no way you could have damaged this device and they might replace your phone under goodwill, especially since it's just 3 months old.

Frankly a missing pin is damage, but try your luck with escalating it to apple India. And the service offered for anything in India is usually bad, even though it's a US based company, same story for Dell.

Unfortunately, fixing it with a third party service centre seems to be the cheapest and best option here; but carrying out third party repairs will void your remaining warranty. Which should be remembered (but since its costing nearly 50% of what you've paid, its alright).

Ping Apple with emails and their social media handles before carrying out third party repairs. Though it's futile, check with Flipkart and the seller who supplied a faulty cable. Always advocate your case with relevant images.

@drkrack FK didn't provided me a faulty cable. Everything was fine till now, but suddenly it caught sulphur (the green marks) which I'm not sure how it caught that.

@Sanav3 @rdst_1 @zibalingz @vivek.krishnan Thanks for the suggestion. Yes I'll try to escalate this issue to Apple India and Apple US after going through some other service centers to try out my luck.

If it doesn't works out then I'll definitely get it fixed from local mobile repair shop.

Escalate through your service provider.
Get in touch with Apple over email and they are not bad.

It's third party repair center who create this non sense to extract money

Yet another case of a rotten Apple! I feel sorry for you brother! I have seen such pathetic service first hand and can understand the pain! :(

You cannot check if or not a pin is actually missing by visual inspection. SO you will have to rely on what the sheety service centre people tell you!

Start a chat with Apple on the support page (they do not have an email ID) and explain the issue to senior advisors. Once your are done with chats, ask them to disconnect so that it will give you an option to send chat transcript to yourself as an email. Save all transcripts. If you are in luck, they will offer you an exception and replace the device.

Here is what I think:

1) As there is a missing pin, Apple won't offer a replacement irrespective of the fact that its not your fault as they will be convinced by ASC that its physical damage.

2) You could get the port replaced locally for a few hundred bucks but you would lose whatever warranty you have permanently - I would never have done this... As I don't know what might come up later with these devices and I do not want to risk having a 50K paperweight that cannot even be replaced by Apple after paying the 24K as the warranty is completely lost due to the 3rd party port replacement.

3) You could post on TE, ask friends etc to pay the 24K plus some amount to cover some of your costs and consider the rest as a loss. The person paying you gets a new iphone for less than what you paid and you recover some amount you spent. Rest is lost! I am sorry! - This is what I would have done.

4) You could also get the port replaced locally and then immediately exchange the phone at some local store. They anyway fleece people on exchanges and I don't think you would need to explain a lot! I don't recommend this but if you were to do this, I wouldn't feel that you did anything wrong! I am a victim of local phone store exchange fleecing myself!

But first try and convince Apple. If they agree, nothing like it. Good luck!

Off topic: if one buys insurance for such a phone and this happens and you throw it in water and claim insurance ? will that work for insured phones ?
I suggest you repair it locally, sell it off on olx if you scared of future issues and get a iphone 6.

I really feel sorry for you! There is no problem in getting it repaired by some good trustworthy local repair person! Only thing is that your warranty will then be voided completely and to that as you already stated, it's of no use as is!

Warranty or No Warranty doesn't really matter!

Always an Apple HATER not just iphone! Cuz they sell a 5-10k worth gadget for 50k! Those parts used in an iphone won't cost more than 10k for sure!

I really feel sorry for you! There is no problem in getting it repaired by some good trustworthy local repair person! Only thing is that your warranty will then be voided completely and to that as you already stated, it's of no use as is!

Warranty or No Warranty doesn't really matter!

Always an Apple HATER not just iphone! Cuz they sell a 5-10k worth gadget for 50k! Those parts used in an iphone won't cost more than 10k for sure!
but all companies sell a 5-10k worth gadget for 50k.

lol, they are all low quality crap with poor software and quality which is why they are cheaper.
And that's what companies like Samsung and Apple would like you to believe.
Till a few iterations ago, people couldn't stand the crap that is known as Touchwiz. The skins of OPO, OPPO and other chinese manufacturers are actually very light as well as functional.
As for the quality of the phones, they are not Micromax. They are providing top notch hardware at very competitive prices.
I have never worried about warranty when it comes to phones. Same can be said about most consumer electronics these days. Unless one is pretty well off, there is no need to splurge on expensive electronics as the warranty period is always usually very small when compared to the amount one invests.

Same is going on in the TV world. I bought a Samsung Plasma for 76k and was lucky that due to some promotion, I was able to get 3 year warranty for it. I recently got a VU 40" for 18.5k and then bought extended warranty for another 2.1k. I won't mind if the VU would go caput after 3 years. Personally I wouldn't care if the Samsung goes caput either because this is something I knew from day one.
These days Electronics are just not as reliable as they used to be.

So IMO, based on how consumers are usually treated in our country thanks to the weak consumer laws, one should either buy VFM offerings or buy the high end product from grey market to save themselves from the heartbreak when something expensive with warranty goes caput and they are left at the mercy of incompetent ASS providers.

lol, they are all low quality crap with poor software and quality which is why they are cheaper.
Go to XDA, and ask them (THE EXPERTS) which is the best android phone that you would recommend to me!

These will be your answers!
1) Samsung Galaxy S7/ Edge7
2) One Plus 3

Samsung I've placed just because you know BRAND :unamused::unamused:

Since Samsung is out of question again for the ridiculous pricing (still better than apple) and the crap software known as touchwiz,
One Plus 3 is currently the king!
And it has got currently the most beefy specifications (almost an overkill), plus a good support community and regular updates! And yes, overseas warranty @what 28k! It's almost at half price!

Now if you don't trust the whole gadget guru committee, then that's why you choose Apple iPhone 6!

Why would i go to XDA ? most people dont look to root and download roms just so they have a good UI while risking bricking phone and warranty. The fact that it needs a ftermarket support community itself shos the software they come with is crap ! As for updates just see how quick the One plus X has got updates by your top pick, users waited and waited for fixes.
The beefy specs are only needed for these poorly optimised phones. A iphone6 with 1 gb ram performs just as good as 3 gb androids ;) touchwiz aint crap anymore though, and Miui and oxygen also are no better. Besides there is also aesthetics that these large androids with 5.5+ screens lack. The s7 , iphone 6 are perfect sized.

Back