Video IPL on Hotstar - Heavy Pixellation

Hi All,

I am on 100 Mbps Airtel BB connection. I consistently get 90Mbps+ on the 5 GHz band and 70Mbps+ on 2.4 GHz band on Wifi. I have noticed that IPL on Hotstar is very heavily pixcellated. All other Live programming like Football etc and streaming videos have no issues.

Have you noticed this too?

Thanks,
Srikanth

I too have premium account. It has no bearing on the number of viewers. I notice the pixellation no matter what the viewership is (500K or 7.2M).

Thats a known issue with them for IPL. Last year they cancelled my premium membership for same reason. I have a 100megs fiber connection too. I contacted their support and they gave me debug URLs to collect data and flush cache from my browser but it did not help. however this issue was only with Firefox not with chrome.
Sometimes when less than 2M viewers were watching they had issues in streaming. After lots of tries they could not figure out the issue so they refunded me the amount. I still bought the sports only package for F1 as I never had any problem streaming any other live sports event with them.

Hi All,

I am on 100 Mbps Airtel BB connection. I consistently get 90Mbps+ on the 5 GHz band and 70Mbps+ on 2.4 GHz band on Wifi. I have noticed that IPL on Hotstar is very heavily pixcellated. All other Live programming like Football etc and streaming videos have no issues.

Have you noticed this too?

Thanks,
Srikanth

Same issue with my 8mps connection, thought it was the speed but..

try to connect smart tv or your apple tv to braodband router over ethernet.
that solved my streaming issues forever o 50mbps line.

try to connect smart tv or your apple tv to braodband router over ethernet.
that solved my streaming issues forever o 50mbps line.

That is not an issue. My Shield TV is connected by Ethernet and my Fire TV Stick is connected by Wifi. Other Hotstar programs play good.

Its definitely their streaming problem. There's heavy pixellation sometimes even on my 100mbps line. I watched India-Australia on Kayo over VPN and that worked in 1080p.

but not this shit hotstar. All the other shows play fine. Only live streaming sucks

Yes, pixellation issue is there. I have 1 Gbps connection.

MiBox is connected through Wired network and Firestick through Wifi.

It is hotstar streaming issue with live matches. Nothing wrong with our internet / hardware.

So, today, I subscribed to Star Sports 1 on my Tata Sky for IPL.

I am not facing this issue. I am watching in 1080p in FireStick. I can see as just another HD channel in dth.
On starting the stream, there's the pixellation for 5/6 seconds, which later goes away.
I am Airtel VFiber 40mbps plan, @ Bangalore.

I am not facing this issue. I am watching in 1080p in FireStick. I can see as just another HD channel in dth.
On starting the stream, there's the pixellation for 5/6 seconds, which later goes away.
Is it location based? I am from Hyderabad.

^ we're only talking about livestream cricket. Rest of the shows/movies work fine. only cricket seems pixellated
yeah I was talking bout live cricket too. I waited till evening to reply here. :D
But since FireStick app doesn't show number of active users, I couldn't tell the server load (checked during first 5 over of today's match)

Is it location based? I am from Hyderabad.
I am not sure. May be a pattern can be found, that's why I stated my location/isp.

If you don't my asking, what is the size of your TV.

i tested yday in sony tv(android, native hotstar app) which is full hd/43", pixellation is still there. Pixellation is more visible in 4K VU 40" tv (firestick 4K). Location is bangalore, airtel fiber 300mbps line.

Back