Video IPL on Hotstar - Heavy Pixellation

Even their pre recorded match clips are heavily pixellated in browser. Seems like their akamai cdn is over compressing the videos. Everything is in m2ts format which is like mpeg2 quality. Makes no sense when even android phones can decode 1080p h264 easily now.

Just checked and its horrible. Every few seconds a small number of scenes have some pixellation and then some fewer scenesare completely distorted. Doubtful its an Internet issue from ISP/local and more to do with choked servers on Hotstar end. The video did not improve irrespective of free or if paid login was used. They need to setup dedicated servers?

If this continues, I think JioTV is way better.

Yes, it seems to be hotstar compressing videos way too much. It doesn't look as bad on a 32" 720p TV but on a 55" Full HD set, it looks terrible. Switching inputs to my airtel HD connection and the difference is night and day! Doesn't seem to be related to Internet speed as all other content on hotstar looks fine.

Started watching 'Cars' movie on hotstar (with premium subscription). WTF is with pixelation? I'm watching it at FullHD resolution and even YiFy's 720p looks more polished than it. Hotstar should be charged with a class action lawsuit. It houses contents from disney and HBO. Everytime Pixar releases a film they are hyping it like "Oh, the single frame took 40 hours to render" and then hotstar destroys it.

If one sane, fully legal and tech-dumb person wants to watch something in full quality then what're his options!. Seriously.

Started watching 'Cars' movie on hotstar (with premium subscription). WTF is with pixelation? I'm watching it at FullHD resolution and even YiFy's 720p looks more polished than it. Hotstar should be charged with a class action lawsuit. It houses contents from disney and HBO. Everytime Pixar releases a film they are hyping it like "Oh, the single frame took 40 hours to render" and then hotstar destroys it.

If one sane, fully legal and tech-dumb person wants to watch something in full quality then what're his options!. Seriously.
Have you tried updating the app in TV and also choosing video quality as FHD or 4k? I just checked by watching Cars 2006 and it looks perfect both in FHD and 4k.

Bluray disc is probably your best bet.

Have you tried updating the app in TV and also choosing video quality as FHD or 4k? I just checked by watching Cars 2006 and it looks perfect both in FHD and 4k.
I was watching it on the PC. Resolution was set to FHD. There was no option for 4k. I wished I could screenshot to show the pixelation mess but it's not letting me thanks to HDCP.

Bluray disc is probably your best bet.
But it's not practical though.

I was watching it on the PC. Resolution was set to FHD. There was no option for 4k. I wished I could screenshot to show the pixelation mess but it's not letting me thanks to HDCP.

But it's not practical though.

Do you mean that you need to keep changing discs and navigate the menu as opposed to just clicking a file on PC? Or do you mean that it will become very expensive as you buy discs?

Either way I agree with you, but you did say legal. I am afraid there aren't a whole lot of legal options in India for high quality video. Perhaps a video library if they are still around and legal?

Do you mean that you need to keep changing discs and navigate the menu as opposed to just clicking a file on PC? Or do you mean that it will become very expensive as you buy discs?

Either way I agree with you, but you did say legal. I am afraid there aren't a whole lot of legal options in India for high quality video. Perhaps a video library if they are still around and legal?
I don't have blu ray player. But still I might be able to find a BD for the 'cars' movie. But what about other stuff which wasn't made into BD? I don't think I can find BD of game of thrones in India. On hotstar, the war between men and white walkers is a garbled mess.

Did you try it in TV?
I haven't tried it in PC, try changing browser and see if it helps. I'll try uploading a sample in YouTube, it's pretty good in the TV app.

I don't have blu ray player. But still I might be able to find a BD for the 'cars' movie. But what about other stuff which wasn't made into BD? I don't think I can find BD of game of thrones in India. On hotstar, the war between men and white walkers is a garbled mess.

I am in agreement but unfortunately I don't see a solution for India. Game of thrones is still popular and likely has a BD release ( I don't know, I hate the show) but there are plenty of shows that only have WEB releases. Apart from BD (bought or rented) I don't see any legal solution in India for high quality video. Maybe you could try places that sell digital downloads? I am not aware of any but there could be some. Last time I tried to purchase music from Amazon they basically told me I could buy music on Amazon US but couldn't download it in India and suggested I use Amazon prime from Amazon India. I had enough and put my pirate hat on.

Did you try it in TV?
I haven't tried it in PC, try changing browser and see if it helps. I'll try uploading a sample in YouTube, it's pretty good in the TV app.
Oye don't upload it. Youtube will block your account. I'll take your word for it. For me, I don't watch TV as I'm more comfortable at my PC.

I tried it another browser too. No difference. High action content gets pixelated. I open hotstar or netflix or prime etc once in a few months. I have filled my quota for now. :p Torrenting remains the most comfortable way to consume the content. Why the heck am I still paying for all these services. lol.

Oye don't upload it. Youtube will block your account. I'll take your word for it. For me, I don't watch TV as I'm more comfortable at my PC.

I tried it another browser too. No difference. High action content gets pixelated. I open hotstar or netflix or prime etc once in a few months. I have filled my quota for now. :p Torrenting remains the most comfortable way to consume the content. Why the heck am I still paying for all these services. lol.
Ahh already uploaded, don't care if blocked lol.
Edit:
Here's the link
Edit 2 : might need the channel in the future so taking it down, let me know if you need to see it can upload in gdrive.
Also there are many websites that have TV series, movies to stream online for free but with annoying pop up ads.

Last edited:
Ahh already uploaded, don't care if blocked lol.
Edit:
Here's the link
Edit 2 : might need the channel in the future so taking it down, let me know if you need to see it can upload in gdrive.
Also there are many websites that have TV series, movies to stream online for free but with annoying pop up ads.
Hey no it's okay. Low quality of hotstar is known. I was annoyed by the fact that they don't want to fix it.

I've been facing heavy stuttering issue on Hotstar for past few days. Movies TV anything stutters.
Yes, it's the issue no #2 that I face as well. There are many more issues with the service. It's never going to get fixed unless some big celebrity calls them out.

Back