IPL on Hotstar - Heavy Pixellation

6pack

ex-Mod
Sep 19, 2005
Even their pre recorded match clips are heavily pixellated in browser. Seems like their akamai cdn is over compressing the videos. Everything is in m2ts format which is like mpeg2 quality. Makes no sense when even android phones can decode 1080p h264 easily now.

Reactions: pratikb

vivek.krishnan

If you cant see the green dot, I'm offline :P
Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
Ghatkopar, Mumbai
plus.google.com
Just checked and its horrible. Every few seconds a small number of scenes have some pixellation and then some fewer scenesare completely distorted. Doubtful its an Internet issue from ISP/local and more to do with choked servers on Hotstar end. The video did not improve irrespective of free or if paid login was used. They need to setup dedicated servers?

If this continues, I think JioTV is way better.

rajil.s

Adept
Apr 19, 2011
That is not an issue. My Shield TV is connected by Ethernet and my Fire TV Stick is connected by Wifi. Other Hotstar programs play good.
Are there any other apps for Shield TV focused on Indian content?

Nolasco

Adept
Dec 15, 2007
Yes, it seems to be hotstar compressing videos way too much. It doesn't look as bad on a 32" 720p TV but on a 55" Full HD set, it looks terrible. Switching inputs to my airtel HD connection and the difference is night and day! Doesn't seem to be related to Internet speed as all other content on hotstar looks fine.

Reactions: adventureguy