Video IR blaster with dth stb

rajil.s

Adept
Hi,
Is anybody using ir blaster with any dth stb? I was using mine with the cable stb and would like to go with satellite tv. Just wondering which provider/stb works well with ir blaster and which doesnt.

My initial choice was Videocond2h but it seems they use an RF remote. Any recommendations?

You posted an image of Tata sky rather than airtel?

Which airtel stb is this:
1. Hd
2. Hd +
3. Hd recorder

Will it be possible for you to test whether you get video on the component output. I think the Rca cable has the same Jack size so you can use that.

Its been a nightmare finding out whether airtel stb supports component video. The call centre has no clue and the local dealers have never heard of it. Nobody stocks an actual stb so have I have yet to see one with my own eyes.
The airtel website does state that there is component video but doesn't say which stb has that.
As last resort I have dropped an email to digital@in.airtel.com for an answer.

Thanks. Seems new ones are going backwards on technology, which is a shame.

I wonder whether it is possible to get hold of the older stb.

No offense, but component isn't exactly newer tech. HDMI is the standard and every device in the near future is going to support it.

You might want to think about investing in a cable like this if you can't upgrade your tv...

http://www.ebay.in/itm/5Ft-HDMI-to-...8?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item41717fb75a

The cost is high because it is being shipped from the US. Look around locally, you should be able to get it for a lot cheaper. Not sure about the quality though.

Last edited:
No offense, but component isn't exactly newer tech. HDMI is the standard and every device in the near future is going to support it.

You might want to think about investing in a cable like this if you can't upgrade your tv...

http://www.ebay.in/itm/5Ft-HDMI-to-...8?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item41717fb75a

The cost is high because it is being shipped from the US. Look around locally, you should be able to get it for a lot cheaper. Not sure about the quality though.

Actually component has its advantages. It can deliver hd video 'unencrypted' which hdmi cannot. My plan was to hook up the stb to a computer and record hd. The tuner I plan to you was a hauppauge hd-pvr which has component input. The cable you linked I above is not of much use since it is not converting the digital to analog signal. There is a pci card called hd fury which can read hdmi unfortunately it is not supported under Linux.
Unfortunately, my whole plan actually failed unexpectedly on something else. I had airtel SD stb installed today (hd stb wasn't available). It turns out the remote of the stb is very nasty and has a weird protocol. My mce receiver wasn't able to capture ir signal reliably. It has been very tricky to decode the ir signal. That means I cannot use airtel stb.
My hunch is that tata sky remote will probably be more compatible with mce receiver, so that's next on the list.

Wow! Didn't know you were planning on using it for such things...Wouldn't an HD recorder STB suffice if all you want to do is record TV?

Hmm didn't know that the protocol was different. How does the HTC One work so well with it though?

No, the setup screen asks for the type of DTH. I select Airtel and it's done.

I use the official HTC TV app with it. It's made by a company called Peel.

Back