CPU/Mobo Is 60c high temp for i5 4460?

adventureguy

Skilled
Recently noticed that my i5 is idling at 60~63c and goes upto 72~74c max while gaming.

Is this too hot or should I get an after market cooler?

My gtx 960 idles at 40c and goes upto 60~65c max while heavy gaming for 2~3 hours

CPUs arent harmed at that temperature, however it is running hotter than it should. Buying an aftermarket cooler would be pointless but I would recommend you clean your heatsink and fan and maybe reapply the thermal paste. That should sufficently bring down your temps

What case you using? Does it have proper ventilation and exhaust fans? If this has happened suddenly then consider reapplying TIM and clean your case & fans of dust and dirt.

CPUs arent harmed at that temperature, however it is running hotter than it should. Buying an aftermarket cooler would be pointless but I would recommend you clean your heatsink and fan and maybe reapply the thermal paste. That should sufficently bring down your temps
Yeah, I'll try reapplying the thermal paste. Mine is non OC processor. It shouldn't need aftermarket cooler right?[DOUBLEPOST=1510499509][/DOUBLEPOST]
What case you using? Does it have proper ventilation and exhaust fans? If this has happened suddenly then consider reapplying TIM and clean your case & fans of dust and dirt.
Corsair Spec-01. Big ass case with two 120 mm fans in front, one on top and one on the back. Should apply thermal paste again I think. Its been 2 years since I bought this pc. How many years is thermal paste supposed to last?

On stock cooler those temperatures are fine. I have a 4590 on one pc with a corsair h55. This one runs at 50 or less on load.

Soo I applied coolermaster thermal paste. I have a few doubts, will appreciate if anyone clears them. Now temps are 40c on idle and 55c on load. So new thermal paste definitely helped. I used cheap 100rs paste given by computer guy few months back but seems like it didnt do its job.

First, **** the intel guy that came up with the cpu fan design. He can go **** himself.

Second, while I was fiddling with cpu fansink, the thermal paste sat exposed for almost 10 mins. I touched it to see if its wet before applying the heatsink. Will this cause any problems in future?

Third, quite a bit of paste is left in the syringe. Can I use that in future?

Soo I applied coolermaster thermal paste. I have a few doubts, will appreciate if anyone clears them. Now temps are 40c on idle and 55c on load. So new thermal paste definitely helped. I used cheap 100rs paste given by computer guy few months back but seems like it didnt do its job.

First, **** the intel guy that came up with the cpu fan design. He can go **** himself.

Second, while I was fiddling with cpu fansink, the thermal paste sat exposed for almost 10 mins. I touched it to see if its wet before applying the heatsink. Will this cause any problems in future?

First, yes intel stock coolers are a big sucker lately with their aluminium touch points.
Second, Won't be a problem. There won't be any problem, if at all, you can reapply the bit of paste that is left with you in the future.

Back