Is customer satisfaction not applicable to India? - Big Baazar in this case

hp-india said:
^^ You mean consumer court..right..? And I agree with the statement regarding substandard products being sold there.

The problem starts with the attitude of the sellers, especially the fancier ones. They think we as consumers are doing them a service by buying things, when in fact it is the reverse.

On first look, these old merchants are shabby, there sales person are unfriendly. But if you look a little deep, they are actually the no-frills WYSWYG type. They sound rude because they are not talking sweet-crap.

I think Sailesh has very clearly mentioned the things you need to do, document everything and head straight away to local Consumer forum, dont forget to send them a final legal notice registered post (with receipt in your hand)

bchat said:
Anybody has idea how this Consumer forum works? I don't mind if I don't get my rights this time but at least if we can be aware...

Thanks

Although its simple but still in current times it has become time consuming due to more and more cases as well as lesser judges to handle the cases. Generally this sytem favour the consumer as he is the victim.

The process is simple:-
-Document everything, this system doesnt believe in verbal promises, but on written.
-The court makes sure that all the methods has been exhausted to sort out the issue which means you did everything on your part to get the matter sorted out and couldnt do so, you were forced to approach the court.
-The format of the case is avaliable at the consumer forum as well as the website mentioned below.
-You dont need any Advocate to argue your case, it is optional and would be required only if you think you cant handle the case.If you dont hire an advocate the judge will make sure that he takes up your side. so there is nothing to worry about that.
-If the other party doesnt appear in the court then the court can decide the case accordingly and send the copy of final order to erring party, you dont need to bother whether the other party has come or not. IF they dont comply they face another case of contempt of court.
-You have to honest, you shouldnt be at the wrong side or else you lose the case, you have to be a genuine victim.

All in all the process is simple but currently the situation isnt exactly that great(you have to check for backlog of cases at your local consumer forum to understand the situation if its worth it or not ), but I think you should first send them a final notice and give them some time(15/30 days) to provide you satisfactorily reply and then go ahead the file the case after the stipulated time is over, keep a copy of letter mailed and receipt of registered letter. As soon as you file the case make sure you involve media and let others know, then see the way these guys will respond.

PS: Whatever steps I have written is in a very crude manner , kindly refer to this and this link for details.

EDIT: Consumer forum for Chennai south No. 212, R.K. Mutt Road, IIIrd floor, Mylapore, Chennai –600 004. For Chennai North same address Ist floor.

I too agree Big Bazaar is big crap... Went once to Big crap@hyd and felt it is better to go to another shop rather than this.

I go to croma or reliance to see the model of any home appliance as local shops wont have the display of all the goods and will go to local shop to buy it ,they offer same or little bit less than the fancy ac showrooms and will deliver the product immediately unlike croma,rel digital which says delivery after 24-48 hrs after paying the full amount.

Reg the consumer court i will check the details and will post by mon or tues as i think i have some details in my office mail box.yeah it is a tedious job as we need to have all the proofs and will waste lots of timeof us in going to court and finally as with existing laws court can impose a fine of max Rs 10000 after 6-12 months.. which i feel it wont pinch big shops like bazaar.

Any finally in INDIA customer satisfaction is there in the book of the law but as usual it will never be implemented.:mad: as i do remember long back i read or some advocate told that we too have 'change of mind' policy like in US,Australia.. But how many people know that and in every invoice of the shop it will written as 'goods once sold will not be taken back'..

bchat said:
I always hear that Consumer Court is an option. In fact just sometimes back there was a big ad campaign for consumer rights awareness. But unfortunately nothing explain the process of getting a complain lodged.

If it is like getting a lawyer and filling a case and then waiting years for the hearing, its better to be avoided. I have a small experience of suffering for being a good citizen and filing a police complaint.

Anybody has idea how this Consumer forum works? I don't mind if I don't get my rights this time but at least if we can be aware...

Thanks

This site should explain all your needs: How to file Consumer Complaint in Consumer Forum

Basically, it is not mandatory for you to go to an advocate to file the complaint or other such procedures. You can do everything by yourself.

I remember in the early 90's, my dad pulled the local BPL dealer to the consumer forum because he had replaced the picture tube in our B&W TV while it was there for service. He had all things documented, so he sent a couple of letters to the BPL management first, and when they did not budge, he filed a case in the district consumer forum all by himself. The moment the BPL office in Chennai got the court notice, they knocked on our doors and replaced the TV without any fuss with a new piece. :)

cri_sss said:
Reg the consumer court i will check the details and will post by mon or tues as i think i have some details in my office mail box.yeah it is a tedious job as we need to have all the proofs and will waste lots of timeof us in going to court and finally as with existing laws court can impose a fine of max Rs 10000 after 6-12 months.. which i feel it wont pinch big shops like bazaar.

AFAIK there no such fine limit, the problem is that judges dont impose heavy fine, Imagine fines like Rs 500 being imposed, we need to fix the fine atleast alakh rupees, THAT will surely pinch companies, Please mail me the details also.

cri_sss said:
Any finally in INDIA customer satisfaction is there in the book of the law but as usual it will never be implemented.:mad: as i do remember long back i read or some advocate told that we too have 'change of mind' policy like in US,Australia.. But how many people know that and in every invoice of the shop it will written as 'goods once sold will not be taken back'..

Its more than just 'change in mind', we need a overall change in laws, companies/retailers attitude towards the these laws, sensitizing the common people about there rights, improvement in existing facilities.

and about 'Goods once sold will not be taken back' is just an attempt to ward off any liability, same as 'Parking at owners risk ' for which a comsumer court in Delhi ordered a 5-Star hotel in Delhi to pay the price of the car which was stolen from their parking premises. So you just cant get away with a statement excluding liability just like that.
hp-india said:
I remember in the early 90's, my dad pulled the local BPL dealer to the consumer forum because he had replaced the picture tube in our B&W TV while it was there for service. He had all things documented, so he sent a couple of letters to the BPL management first, and when they did not budge, he filed a case in the district consumer forum all by himself. The moment the BPL office in Chennai got the court notice, they knocked on our doors and replaced the TV without any fuss with a new piece. :)

Ideally this should happen, this system is flexible enough to allow you to sort out the issue out of court OP should make sure that the process is followed and then see that companies will react, the problem is that retailer is ignorant about his duties, when he recives a court notice he approches a lawyer who recommends him whether to contest the case or not, ideally it is recommened not to contest(if the company is the erring party) as the favour always tilts into consumers side, its a time taking process, might not pay you huge money (like US) in damages but unltimately your win is satisfactory and not the money and you dont spend heavy amount on litigation as the company does.

IMO if you can spare little time and have the spirit to fight for your rights please go ahead and take action against BB.

Laws - The Consumer Protection Act, 1986

the above link provides you the Consumer Protection Act, go through it you will surely get an idea.

big bazaar sucks.all the employees are uneducated.the service is horrible!!!better pay a little more and go to some other departmental store..

demonic said:
all the employees are uneducated.

What were you expecting- Models wearing mini skirts to explain about how surf excel works in atomic level on a 42 inch lcd screen and guys with sleeveless shirts explaining how to use their muscle on a remote control for mitashi speakers?

You go to a supermarket, you know the stuff that you want to buy (most people do), pay and come back home. Its not as if salesman is needed ALL THE TIME!!!! Buyers are usually educated and pretty well informed, so why do you need salesman- unless one doesn't use his common sense or have some issue with a product? It is pretty silly as the topic where some member was complained about primeabgb here who was asking for technical specs for a psu- why cant you just find it out by googling?

Majority of the salesman in the retailing business have done 10-12th standard education by max. They dont want to do hardwork and dont use common sense (I have seen uneducated/lesser educated guys using common sense and they do work quiet well), just sit in a shop with an A/C on it. When the payday comes the situations look something else. Some retailers have better stuff than the supermarket- something that many buyers know. If people want to save an X amount of cash- they will go to big bazaar and don't mind for a quality drop, others will go to a general store to buy. There's a market for everything.

Back