Android Is Hola VPN safe?

yasho2249

Recruit
Hola vpn seems to be the only free vpn without ads. Went to the website to see why soo and found that it uses your idle resources and something know as "peer to peer". Got no idea what is all that. Can someone tell me what is all that and is Hola safe to use? If not which one for Android in India?

Can someone tell me what is all that and is Hola safe to use? If not which one for Android in India?

Hi. I haven't used Hola VPN, but heard from multiple sources that its quite safe to use. But I have used 3 other VPN services which are free - Tunnelbear, Cloud VPN and Betternet (on pc)

Cloud VPN is free and unlimited, although it has ads. Been using it for a while now, has 6-7 servers to choose from. I'm also using betternet (chrome extension on my PC, checked it has an Android app) which is also free and unlimited (for now) and runs NO ADS. I wouldn't recommend Tunnelbear, personally.

As for your Hola "peer-to-peer" shenanigan, I found this from their FAQ page (https://hola.org/faq#intro-pvp_vpn), hopefully someone can elaborate on this.
Sounds like basically they are forgoing servers in favour of P2P distribution, thus keeping their expenses minimum and the app free.

Hola is the first community powered (Peer-to-Peer) VPN, where users help other users to make the web world-wide again. This means that Hola routes your traffic through other nodes (peers) in the Hola network, as opposed to routing through power-hungry costly servers. This allows Hola to provide you with a superior VPN service with minimal underlying costs. Since it uses real peers to route your traffic and not proxy servers, it makes you more anonymous and more secure than regular VPN services. This also means that Hola is harder to detect and block. Currently, Hola runs in a hybrid mode - combining traditional VPN architecture and peer-to-peer technology. Chrome browser extension and Opera browser add-on operate as a standard VPN service and are not part of the Hola peer-to-peer network

Back