Laptops Is it possible to entirely take a laptop display off ?

I have a 8 year old Dell Studio laptop. It works fine except that the screen has ink marks all over it and the left hinge is broken. I can use it perfectly fine with my TV on HDMI.
I was wondering if it is possible to take the entire LCD assembly off from hinges and just have the lower portion of the laptop which I can run on HDMI. Or will taking the LCD part of the laptop off somehow make the laptop not start because of missing a component?

Yes, you can take apart the screen from hinges. It'll leave the Wi-Fi and camera cables left dangling. Remove these modules too if you are not using them.

Yes, but check if the laptop boots if the display is removed. In one of our office laptops, once we removed the display, it would not boot headless - we then had to put a VGA cable. The laptop in question was a Fujitsu running Windows 7.

^^ Many of the laptops are not designed to run headless, you might need to short some pins on the ribbon cable.. (Really daunting) to fool the unit that the display is connected...
Some laptops handshake the HDID before booting up.. those units might be having trouble booting headless whatever you do..

^^ As I said, I have seen it happen. I too have run my Compaq laptop without the LCD. In the case of the Compaq, the cable is attached to the display, along with the mic and wifi cables - so nothing is left dangling, and all I needed was to connect the LAN wire and power for it to work as a downloader. At first, I could not understand why the Fujitsu was behaving that way, but quickly figured it out.

you will have to disassemble the base of your laptop. un screw hinges hinges and cable and re-assemble the base. check youtube on how to

Back