Is it possible to revive an old mobile number?

mrmash

Disciple
I used to have an old Mtnl Dolphin Mumbai number which was used by my dad earlier and I used it for 2 years, till 2008. Due to network issues I stopped using that number and switched over to vodafone with a new number.

Is it possible to revive that old number, and then port it over to another network? I tried calling that number several times, but I just get a message of it being an invalid number.

You need to check with MTNL if that number is available or not. If it is available, you may have to pay some amount for getting that number.

Firstly tell them you want to reactivate the previously owned number. If they are positive, complete the formalities for same (you might have to submit KYC documents). It will take few days.

When the reactivation process is complete, file a request for new sim. Tell them old one was not working properly or it was lost.

You can easily have it if somebody already doesn't have it. Why don't you dial that number? If it is claimed by someone else you would know. The processes of reviving an old number or getting a new number are similar in BSNL/MTNL. You will need to submit a full set of KYC docs & fill up a new form. KYV docs will include 1. A passport size photo 2. Photo ID 3. Recent Address proof. You will also need to current charges for a new SIM.

I tried calling the number, always says invalid number.
And also, the number was registered in my late fathers name. I will try to visit MTNL in a couple of days and find out what can be done.

I got the number yesterday. The process was surprisingly hassle free. She (the executive) was reluctant at first, it being an old Number and all. Then she called the number and it being invalid, checked in her system and just issued the number again in my name. The entire thing cost around 311/- , 250/- as Activation charge, 35/- as Taxes and 26/- for the SIM card.

Now, just waiting for the number to be activated.

Edit - The number got activated at around 11 pm on 27th July. Will wait for the required period and port out. Just happy to get the number back.

Last edited:
Very poor service from mtnl where I stay. That was the main reason to switch to Vodafone earlier. Let's hope their service improves this time around.

By poor service you mean poor network on MTNL ? Currently I m on Vodafone and have made up my mind to port to some other network due to pathetic network quality.

I mean everything. Including their customer care. But primarily their network. As I am typing this from my home, the network bar keeps on fluctuating between 1 and 3 bars, and that too when I am stationary.

Back