Is it safe to use a converter plug for a washing machine?

logistopath

Molar Police
Staff member
Super Mod
We had purchased a LG 8068LDP washing machine yesterday, and it was delivered today. However, the machine has the bigger plug that connects to a 15A socket on the wall. Unfortunately, the place where we have kept the machine does not have the larger socket (in fact, the only large socket we have in the entire house is located in the kitchen :facepalm: ). It only has the smaller 5A socket. The technician who came to give a demo for the unit mentioned that there are 5A to 15A converter plugs available in the market, and using them would suffice. However, I'm not really convinced.

Is it really safe to use such 5A to 15A converter plugs? There are a few other electrical works to be done at home, so an electrician would be visiting us sometime next week. Can I use the converter until then..? What are the other alternatives available? Please suggest.

^Before above, whats the wire size thats used on the 5A socket? It should be minimally 1.5 sqmm but I would be comfortable with 2.5mm. Yup, it all depends upon how much amps the washing machine is capable of sucking. The larger amps the higher sqmm. 15A are basically meant for handling high current, if its 5A switch in the end, then its going to melt down. Be careful.

+LT

if your wiring at the socket can handle 15A, then add another socket next to the 5A one which is for 15 A. Wont cost more than 300 rs anyway.

Okay.. Will ask the electrician to add the 15A socket. :( So no using the machine until next week.

@mehrotra.akash: It says 1.7kW maximum.

^adding the socket without checking wire would lead to more trouble.
pulling wires from the concealed pipes is not a biggie... get proper gauged wires done and add a 15-16A socket in place.

just repeating to what has already been said as i have not posted for a while in GT :p :D

As a temporary solution, you can buy an extension board which is capable of handling 15A, will cost around 400-450. You can use it as a regular extension board as well when the wiring/switch part is resolved.

Back