CPU/Mobo Is it time to upgrade from i5 2500K?

rakesh_ic

ex-Mod
Hi All,

I am currently using an i5 2500K coupled with a Biostar TZ68k+ board. The board was not meant to explore the full OC potential of the beast and so my i5 turned out to be tamed beast.
Which only made me realize that I am not cut out for the OCing and bench-marking the CPU.

So now since there are enough CPU iterations, is it time for me to upgrade?

Usage -
I am a gamer - both consoles and pc. I got a 1080p monitor and do watch FHD movies as well

Current Setup -
H100i cpu cooler, R9290 tri-x, NXZT H440 case, Vengeance 2*4GB RAM sticks , 24inch monitor

Regards,
Rakesh

I think you can continue using it. It is 4 core 4 thread processor. Games do use multi core processors more and more but still to raise bar in performance, if any, in gaming, you would be looking at graphic card upgrade. Rest of the jobs must be cake walk for this CPU. Having an SSD also helps in overall performance, which is already present in your system.

I dont know how did u get the hunch of me having a SSD. Sorry I missed to include my 128GB Corsair SSD in the list. Both OS and the games I play regularly (League of Legends) are installed on this.[DOUBLEPOST=1460445753][/DOUBLEPOST]
Games do use multi core processors more and more but still to raise bar in performance, if any, in gaming, you would be looking at graphic card upgrade.

I am waiting for pascal.

I am also on a i5 2500K + Asus Z68 Deluxe which I got in 2011 (or rather after my original 2500k + Asus P67 Deluxe got destroyed by a high voltage spike on reliance internet cable) and as you might already know, I am heavily into gaming as well.

My usual upgrade cycle was usually 3~4 years. But this time around, even after 5 years, there is not a single damned reason to upgrade CPU and Motherboard.

There simply is nothing to gain from it. Skylake is great if you want to reduce power consumption, but as far as performance goes, none of the quad cores in 20k budget are going to help you increase performance by a reasonable margin over the 2500k to make it worth spending 40k to upgrade CPU + Mobo.

I upgraded my GPU to GTX980 and added a Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB in 2014 end and my rig feels as good as new.
I don't even have an Overclock on the CPU right now, but there is not a single high end game that I could not run comfortably or at least not because the CPU is a limiting factor.

You can probably wait a couple more generations of CPU's before upgrading. In the meantime, A new GPU and fast SSD would easily make your rig brand new again.

I do plan to get another Skylake setup in another week or so, but that is going to be budget setup around Pentium G4400 for a NAS/Media Server/Download server build.

Get these and you are good to go:

Zotac GTX970 4GB -25500,
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB -15000.

Re-use your current CPU and if you need to change your Mobo then you can go with Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 which is a very good board for OC'ing if you can find one.

Get these and you are good to go:

Zotac GTX970 4GB -25500,
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB -15000.

Re-use your current CPU and if you need to change your Mobo then you can go with Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 which is a very good board for OC'ing if you can find one.

He already has an r9 290 so it doesn't make any sense to get a GTX 970.

Back