Is line voltage of 250V safe for use with computers?

kxp2000

Disciple
Feb 10, 2015
Recently i bought a new ups viz the APC be700y-IND.However after purchasing it i discovered that it has an output voltage of 190-250V ie the ups does not attempt to regulate the voltage to safe levels unless it drops below 190V or exceeds 250V.

This caused me some concern as its over-voltage threshold appears a bit on the higher side-i previously had a BE650Y-IN ups which had a tighter output voltage range of 200-240V.It used to "trim" the input voltage to ~200V whenever it reached 240V or more.However my new ups outputs the line voltage as-is until it crosses 250v mark(even when configured to run at the "highest" sensitivity)

Most devices today(esp. computers) are designed to work within a voltage range of 100-240V.So is such a device likely to sustain any damage if it experiences voltage in excess of 240V ie between 240-250V?

Is it a good idea to continue using this particular ups ie the BE700Y-ind or should i revert back to my older ups and return the new one?

I wonder why they have set the over voltage threshold to 250V in the new model when it was 240V in my older BE650Y-in ups.Despite being one of the largest UPS vendors in the market,do they not know what the safe input voltage levels are for delicate electronic devices like PCs?!

6pack

ex-Mod
Sep 19, 2005
If you are getting 250v at mains, tell your power company to reduce the voltage. All the things in your house will be at risk. Most stuff in India have wide working voltage range of 190-270v but it would be safer to run them between 200-240v max.

kxp2000

Disciple
Feb 10, 2015
Ups companies like apc must be aware of the safe tolerance limits of ac utility voltage for electronic goods(200-240v).Despite that i wonder why do they allow a higher output voltage of upto 250v in even some of their costlier models like br1000g-in-it seems like a tremendous design fallacy which is likely to put any connected equipment at risk.

The reason they are able to get away with things like this is that most people don't take such matters too seriously and don't pay much attention to the output voltage range while buying an ups-they instead choose to focus on other less important factors like backup time and so on, thus ignoring the one vital aspect which could seriously compromise the longevity of their equipments.

kxp2000

Disciple
Feb 10, 2015
most upses don't "normalize" voltages even when they go upto 250V,therein lies the problem.