Is Mega banned in India?

Would VPN work? We would need to encrypt everything before it even goes to our router for it to work.

If you just want to copy paste mega links to your downloader, sure . just VPN and click download and it should show up on your download manager. once you have the list populated, close vpn and download the files. Dont think airtel can block downloading the files . I assume you have mega premium. This wont work if you are doing in on non - premium.

Thats just using Cloudflare DNS. Airtel must definitely be implementing a better blocking mechanism. Jio blocks sites even if you set a custom DNS.

Can you try the following on Windows cmd-
nslookup www.mega.nz 1.1.1.1
Don't have a solution for a PC yet. The 1.1.1.1 app has 2 modes, one is VPN mode known as Warp and other just the DNS mode. Am able to open Mega.nz on both modes on my broadband who use Airtel as service provider.
Just checked and with Jio 4g, mega.nz is not blocked for me.

Don't have a solution for a PC yet. The 1.1.1.1 app has 2 modes, one is VPN mode known as Warp and other just the DNS mode. Am able to open Mega.nz on both modes on my broadband who use Airtel as service provider.
Just checked and with Jio 4g, mega.nz is not blocked for me.
For PC you can set the DNS on the network adapter page from control panel.

I usually set the DNS (Primary=8.8.8.8/1.1.1.1,Secondary=ISP DNS) on the router level itself so I don't have to fiddle around with multiple devices.

@6pack

Try using DNS over Https (DoH).
It might solve your issue.

That is a good idea. I use a piHole as my DNS where I enabled this. But Siti Cable which leases Airtel lines throttles p2p traffic drastically so almost all my traffic from my download PC is routed through Nord.

Guess Airtel has a habit of destroying things...
yeah same here neither mega or streamable open
Post automatically merged:

I usually set the DNS (Primary=8.8.8.8/1.1.1.1,Secondary=ISP DNS) on the router level itself so I don't have to fiddle around with multiple devices.
I used to do this until i discovered my smart switch refused to work with a custom DNS set at the router level :(

No idea why.

When the router was set to get DNS from the ISP the smart switch worked

Last edited:
yeah same here neither mega or streamable open

I used to do this until i discovered my smart switch refused to work with a custom DNS :(

That most definitely means they are uploading data to some server which they do not to be blocked by any DNS sinkhole ala piHole /3rd party DNS like OpenDNS/Cloudflare under any circumstances.

3rd Party DNSes sometimes tag sites as dangerous and prevent access.

Can you let us know the switch details please?

Google has a trick on their devices like Google Home/Wifi where the device is hardcoded to use a custom DNS of 8.8.8.8 which is owned by Google and these devices use this DNS only irrsepective of what DNS you configure on your network.

BTW you have to use some sort of custom ISP defined DNS anyways right?

Last edited:
ACT Fibernet both mega and streamable works.
Also try megabasterd and Dns over https like suggested above. Megabasterd downloads using proxies so it might work for you.

@6pack

Try using DNS over Https (DoH).
It might solve your issue.

I tried that. It doesn't work. I saw that Firefox uses cloudfare dns which is just duplicating the settings I'm using system wide.
I have already been using cloudfare dns 1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1 as main dns in the router. It does not work. Same error as before.
Whether I use ISP dns servers or use Google/ Cloudfare makes no difference.

I have put both cloudfare and google dns addresses in my network config from months before.

Code:
Link 2 (enp3s0)
      Current Scopes: DNS
       LLMNR setting: yes
MulticastDNS setting: no
      DNSSEC setting: no
    DNSSEC supported: no
         DNS Servers: 192.168.31.1
          DNS Domain: ~.

I believe Airtel is doing something with the ssl certificate of Mega. Probably blocked it. Like they are not allowing the handshake to happen properly so we get the security error.

can yo post the screenshot of the following link
https://1.1.1.1/help

on firefox

Code:
https://1.1.1.1/help#eyJpc0NmIjoiWWVzIiwiaXNEb3QiOiJObyIsImlzRG9oIjoiWWVzIiwicmVzb2x2ZXJJcC0xLjEuMS4xIjoiWWVzIiwicmVzb2x2ZXJJcC0xLjAuMC4xIjoiWWVzIiwicmVzb2x2ZXJJcC0yNjA2OjQ3MDA6NDcwMDo6MTExMSI6Ik5vIiwicmVzb2x2ZXJJcC0yNjA2OjQ3MDA6NDcwMDo6MTAwMSI6Ik5vIiwiZGF0YWNlbnRlckxvY2F0aW9uIjoiQk9NIiwiaXNXYXJwIjoiTm8iLCJpc3BOYW1lIjoiQ2xvdWRmbGFyZSIsImlzcEFzbiI6IjEzMzM1In0=

test.png

The Airtel block that results in a PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR for mega and other sites does not appear to be at the DNS level. Looks like they are DPI'ng and doing a connection RST. There is an ongoing discussion on another IN forum that is mostly internet/broadband related stuff.

I only wanted Mega for subtitle files. I dont download English movies, music albums etc. When this blocking becomes too much and I had enough, maybe I'll shift to another ISP first. If even they are blocking then last option would be to get a vpn if I can't even read emails or watch youtube.

DO they push ads while browsing through vpn? Last time i used it on android, they were pushing their own ads in browser.
Have tried using www.opensubtitles.org for your subtitle requirements ?
Works flawless for almost all subtitles

That most definitely means they are uploading data to some server which they do not to be blocked by any DNS sinkhole ala piHole /3rd party DNS like OpenDNS/Cloudflare under any circumstances.

3rd Party DNSes sometimes tag sites as dangerous and prevent access.

Can you let us know the switch details please?
Talked about the switch here

To run on a schedule the switch has to access the company's website. You set schedules when to run how long etc. It goes out to the net and gets it.

Google has a trick on their devices like Google Home/Wifi where the device is hardcoded to use a custom DNS of 8.8.8.8 which is owned by Google and these devices use this DNS only irrsepective of what DNS you configure on your network.

BTW you have to use some sort of custom ISP defined DNS anyways right?
I don't know what you mean by 'custom ISP defined DNS'. Not a google device btw, the switch is from a local company in Ghaziabad

Router has a setting, get DNS servers from ISP. So you do not enter any DNS address, the router gets them automatically.

I was using custom defined DNS ie google's servers for well over a decade until this problem happened with the switch.

Reason is pinging google's DNS had a shorter ping time than the ISP, it also saves on an extra fetch DNS from the ISP step at startup.

What makes this difficult to figure out is where the problem lies.

The router firmware, the switch or elsewhere ? i just stuck with what worked and left it as is.

It was a very odd problem since no device i used earlier had any trouble.

Talked about the switch here

To run on a schedule the switch has to access the company's website. You set schedules when to run how long etc. It goes out to the net and gets it.

I don't know what you mean by 'custom ISP defined DNS'. Not a google device btw, the switch is from a local company in Ghaziabad

Router has a setting, get DNS servers from ISP. So you do not enter any DNS address, the router gets them automatically.

I was using custom defined DNS ie google's servers for well over a decade until this problem happened with the switch.

Reason is pinging google's DNS had a shorter ping time than the ISP, it also saves on an extra fetch DNS from the ISP step at startup.

What makes this difficult to figure out is where the problem lies.

The router firmware, the switch or elsewhere ? i just stuck with what worked and left it as is.

It was a very odd problem since no device i used earlier had any trouble.

The ISPs I have used(Alliance/Siti) have their own DNS servers like the secondary one I have set up here-

1580227763924.png

The primary DNS server is my pihole running on a Raspberry Pi Zero W where it checks the DNS request to see if it is requesting a blocked ad/malicious url ,blocks it and in case of valid urls it sends the DNS request to OpenDNS.

1580228072463.png

The URL of www.smarteefi.com can be resolved by OpenDNS routed through pihole which would have stopped it in case it was malicious.
Windows command - nslookup www.smarteefi.com
1580228307365.png

Its being resolved by Cloudflare as well so this website is not the issue
1580228359974.png

I am guessing the switch firmware is sourced from some Chinese/Taiwanese OEM and that url is being blocked by OpenDNS/Google.

The DNS server that is being provided by your ISP automatically doesn't probably have that security but difficult to say unless you log all DNS requests on your router.

The ISPs I have used(Alliance/Siti) have their own DNS servers like the secondary one I have set up here-

View attachment 84323
netgear R7000 default firmware has an option to query those from the ISP. It's just a switch. No need to input the ISP's DNS which is good as it can change at any time.

I am guessing the switch firmware is sourced from some Chinese/Taiwanese OEM and that url is being blocked by OpenDNS/Google.
Not using OpenDNS only google.

The DNS server that is being provided by your ISP automatically doesn't probably have that security but difficult to say unless you log all DNS requests on your router.
I don't have anything on the router that can log these requests. That would require custom firmware on the router. Or a PFsense box in between.

I didn't know google would block such requests. I always figured there was some bug in the switches firmware but it does appear that the dns lookup from the switch is failing with google's DNS.

Why would google DNS block the request though ? the vendor would have input some URL to reach their company servers.

I struggled with this for over an hour with the vendors tech support patiently trying out different things. How could something so basic be this hard to figure out !!!

He offered to exchange the item thinking it was defective but i was determined to get it working.

Until i decided to try to get the ISP's DNS and it suddenly worked. The tech support guy was surprised as well since he mostly dealt with non tech people. So nobody was using any custom DNS like i was with google.

Last edited:
netgear R7000 default firmware has an option to query those from the ISP. It's just a switch. No need to input the ISP's DNS which is good as it can change at any time.

Not using OpenDNS only google.

I don't have anything on the router that can log these requests. That would require custom firmware on the router. Or a PFsense box in between.

I didn't know google would block such requests. I always figured there was some bug in the switches firmware but it does appear that the dns lookup from the switch is failing with google's DNS.

Why would google DNS block the request though ? the vendor would have input some URL to reach their company servers.

I struggled with this for over an hour with the vendors tech support patiently trying out different things. How could something so basic be this hard to figure out !!!

He offered to exchange the item thinking it was defective but i was determined to get it working.

Until i decided to try to get the ISP's DNS and it suddenly worked. The tech support guy was surprised as well since he mostly dealt with non tech people. So nobody was using any custom DNS like i was with google.
My R7000 before it died gave me that kind of issue a lot with a firmware update. Some updated firmware versions have this bug where the dns lookup is not forwarded to the DNS server but the router itself tries to handle it. Imagine DNS issues when you are trying to do a NEFT transaction.

Fire off nslookup www.<anywebsite>.com and check if the request is handled by 192.168.1.1 in the server: output.

I rolled back to a previous firmware version after reading up about it on Netgear forums. Now I am on a Asus RT-AC68U with Merlin firmware and its much better than Netgear which has pretty bad official firmware support nowadays although their hardware is good.

Try this -

Goodbye DPI

It should resolve most blocked websites.

Get the GUI version for windows, it works well albeit a bit buggy.
Worked with both the mega & streamable site. I used the cmd line with the -1 option as the gui prevented this forum from showing up, lol

Can you pls tell something for android like above ?
Tried VPN like NordVPN but not getting through the block
Try intra

Last edited:
Back