Graphic Cards Is my card dead?

tarun

Adept
I have got a X800 Gto2. Yesterday when I started my computer, the boot screen was corrupted with little white boxes spread all over the screen. When the Windows started to load the "Windows Loading" screen also had some green horizontal bars. After windows got loaded, I got the blue error screen and the computer restarted and is continuously happening. It's not a driver problem as the entire display is corrupted even during POST. I have tried to reinstall the card, have cleaned up the dust etc but with no success. I have finally switched backed to on-board video.

To illustrate, I am getting a similar error as this guy has posted on youtube but it is happening continuously in my case:

YouTube - Screen corruption in boot up

I have searched about it on the net and it seems that it's something to do with ram chips(video ram) on the card. I had got this card from UK around an year back :( Is my card Dead? :(

It's running on on-board video now as I have removed the card from my system. You can't use on-board video if you have the card installed.

In case it is dead which seems likely, can it be repaired anywhere in India? It's a Sapphire X800 Gto2 PCI-E and it's not under warranty.

@prash : why need another pc.....if u are indicating that his PCI Slot or MBB is now malfuntioning.....which i dont think so should be the case.....usually such things are also caused by RAM , however - in his case it aint......

according to me the gfx card is bust :( and as discused earlier there is no way a pci-e/agp card can be repaired to its stock to my info. no such skilled labour out here.....wat u need is rma if it is under warranty in UK ! then u start planning how u gonna do it....if not then u would be better off picking up a new one from india (whereever u are) or from anyone on sale on TE itself.....OR u can get urself a new one from out.......
OT : dammmmm.......started wondering if i should really get a higher end card from out-of-ind. :no: :sad:

@hanzy
if u are indicating that his PCI Slot or MBB is now malfuntioning.....which i dont think so should be the case.....usually such things are also caused by RAM , however - in his case it aint
I agree with your point hanzy. even then, whats the loss in trying it just once on his friends mobo, it wont do anyone bad, and by chance if it works , it'll definitely save some money.:)

PS: If PCI-E slot is malfunctioning, there's no condition that pc should have problems with onboard graphics. :no: i have a pci-e mobo with which no card works, except that with onboard graphics it works just fine. this is because its PCI-E port is faulty. and i think even in taruns pc as he said, its working fine with onboard graphics. so let him try it once.;)

Gfx card busted...

But as mentioned test the card in another system to be sure, and its very tough nigh impossible to repair such stuff, only 1 person in India does such things, he was one of the c0-founders of TE but has been absent since a long time now... ;)

in all probability the card has gone bust.

The same exact thing happened to my 9700pro.

@Aces,does his name have a 'lordly' connotation to it? ;)

i assume you have already tried reseating , usually that solves the issue . pls try another gfx and see if the problem repeats , in which case it also could be a faulty slot .

Thanks guys. Yeah I will test it on another PC and see if it works there. A remote possiblity is that my PCI-E port has gone bad. But it's sad to know that these things cannot be repaired in India :(

i had a similar problem few days back with my nvidia 5200 128 mb , got rid of it by just cleaning dust on the entire card and reinstalling. :)

penno said:
i had a similar problem few days back with my nvidia 5200 128 mb , got rid of it by just cleaning dust on the entire card and reinstalling. :)

Your problem is loose/improper contant in the Slot. His seems to be because of a dying card.

Back