PC Peripherals Is my mouse going / gone bad ?

raksrules

Elite
I have a Logitech M705 Mouse which was bought as manufacturer refurbished from eBay in Dec 2015. Now since last 2 days, the mouse is having erratic behavior. It would register clicks or double clicks even when not intended. Certain issues I am facing since last 2 days...

1. Say I have 4 excel files open, I only intend to close one, the mouse will register extra clicks and close may be another excel too. Or say I have an outlook email open and I want to close that, it may register double click and close the email as well as outlook window which was just behind that.

2. Selecting text is horrible now. Say I have to select this text "This is Techenclave forum". If say I start to select from left, even though I am holding the left click even before selecting, the actual selection will start from the word "Techenclave",

Is there anything I can do to try and fix this ? Nothing unusual has happened in last 2 days either. The only thing I did was change batteries for a day and back again to the old batteries after other day. I am using "Sony Cycle energy" batteries in this which died so I recharged them for a day and in the mean time when I needed the mouse, I used "amazon basics rechargeables". There was no such issue when I was using with the amazon batteries. I am yet to try those again but is there any chance battery is causing this ?

Last edited:
Few years back I had Gigabyte M6800 mouse. It was having ditto same behaviour before I discarded it. It was a wired mouse though.

Unless you see a broken component, your mouse needs cleaning.

I am using a 14 year old mouse which shows such signs from time to time. I am using this mouse solely because of the ergonomics. On each occasion, I just open the mouse and clean the bits/lenses inside and it starts to work again. Of course, the mouse buttons have some fixed number of click-life, after which they start to falter again. So, I swapped the left micro-switch with the middle one, after a year of cleaning the mouse. Same issues appear again after 1 year of use and now I just open the micro-switches and clean them a bit... there are copper contacts, which get oxidized.

Lot many people throw away their mouse before its life. Unless there is physical damage, they could've just cleaned it.

Anyway, opening micro-switches can be difficult, so you can just use any electrical contact cleaner spray. You can easily find it in US.

Unless you see a broken component, your mouse needs cleaning.

I am using a 14 year old mouse which shows such signs from time to time. I am using this mouse solely because of the ergonomics. On each occasion, I just open the mouse and clean the bits/lenses inside and it starts to work again. Of course, the mouse buttons have some fixed number of click-life, after which they start to falter again. So, I swapped the left micro-switch with the middle one, after a year of cleaning the mouse. Same issues appear again after 1 year of use and now I just open the micro-switches and clean them a bit... there are copper contacts, which get oxidized.

Lot many people throw away their mouse before its life. Unless there is physical damage, they could've just cleaned it.

Anyway, opening micro-switches can be difficult, so you can just use any electrical contact cleaner spray. You can easily find it in US.

I can definitely try cleaning. Nothing to lose as anyways I would be throwing if this behavior continues. Will try it and see. Thanks for that advice.[DOUBLEPOST=1463665770][/DOUBLEPOST]@Criminal

It Worked !!!

I opened up the mouse which was fastened by 5 screws. It appeared clean inside but I still dusted it and blew some air with mouth on the click buttons and everywhere else on the mouse as such. Now it works again properly. Thanks a lot for that tip. Saved me $20-$25 in buying a new mouse.

Last edited:
Back