Is My Phone Tapped? - The Question More Indians Ask

swatkats

Skilled
A businessman told me he had stopped going online to buy books that the government might frown upon because he was afraid officials would track his purchases.

There’s good reason for such fears, another businessman said: “You go to a party where there are a dozen people you’ve known for years. Someone says something mildly critical of the government, and then you learn that person’s office was paid a visit the next day by the income-tax authorities.”

These were not reflections on life in some police state. These were conversations I had this month during a visit to India, a country I’ve been visiting for nearly 60 years.

It’s no secret that attacks on freedom of expression have accelerated since the election of Prime Minister Narendra Modi in May 2014. Yet, nothing prepared me for the pervasive anxieties I encountered on this trip. While freedom of speech has never been an absolute right in India, I always thought that this raucous democracy would ultimately overcome any blanket effort to quash dissent, as it did when Prime Minister Indira Gandhi declared a state of emergency and clamped down on the news media in 1975.

But I was stunned when a well-known writer in New Delhi confided that she and others used encrypted communications. “We’re all on ProtonMail and Signal at this point,” she said. Others said they only communicated on WhatsApp. “All of our phones are tapped,” declared a news editor in Mumbai.

.... Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/26/opinion/india-government-criticism-bjp.html

Sadly, its true. All our phones are tapped, and Airtel and other ISPs are setting up MITM SSL proxies which they claim will block, but its actually for eavesdropping on what you are surfing.

IMO, The only solution to this is not rush to encrypt, but to generate even more noise.

AIrtel does tapping openly. lots of times, I've heard my own voice when talking to an airtel user like an echo coming off from some far place.

A businessman told me he had stopped going online to buy books that the government might frown upon because he was afraid officials would track his purchases.

There’s good reason for such fears, another businessman said: “You go to a party where there are a dozen people you’ve known for years. Someone says something mildly critical of the government, and then you learn that person’s office was paid a visit the next day by the income-tax authorities.”

These were not reflections on life in some police state. These were conversations I had this month during a visit to India, a country I’ve been visiting for nearly 60 years.

It’s no secret that attacks on freedom of expression have accelerated since the election of Prime Minister Narendra Modi in May 2014. Yet, nothing prepared me for the pervasive anxieties I encountered on this trip. While freedom of speech has never been an absolute right in India, I always thought that this raucous democracy would ultimately overcome any blanket effort to quash dissent, as it did when Prime Minister Indira Gandhi declared a state of emergency and clamped down on the news media in 1975.

But I was stunned when a well-known writer in New Delhi confided that she and others used encrypted communications. “We’re all on ProtonMail and Signal at this point,” she said. Others said they only communicated on WhatsApp. “All of our phones are tapped,” declared a news editor in Mumbai.

.... Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/26/opinion/india-government-criticism-bjp.html
Appoint a dictator and dont expect him to show dictatorial traits? Wait a little, it's going to get worse. When people get over this and things start coming out, you'll see revelations that will make congress scandals sound like minor inconveniences. One does not exercise complete control over a state by following democratic ideas.

AIrtel does tapping openly. lots of times, I've heard my own voice when talking to an airtel user like an echo coming off from some far place.

That happens to me when I call any landline from Jio. Should I consider that my phone is being tapped[DOUBLEPOST=1509201579][/DOUBLEPOST]

Make noise. Just like CDMA, with more users, the noise is higher and they will need to invest more to get better

Back