is there any scope in game programming !!

hello friends,
I just wanna ask is there any scope for game code developers .I had registered in EA website and there were hell lot of jobs for coder etc .I am into my final year of engg a crucial part of my life .I wanted to get into gaming industry ,so need your advice how much is there scope in this field .
Also heard from my friend who is hardcore coder and doing coding from his 4th standard.He told me all codes are written in C/C++. even the games like Crysis,Halo3 etc are coded using this languages .I am ok in both languages .I had skiped the Graphics part in C as it was not included in our portion .
So please me help me out,I have time and study those chapter which i skipped.
Also any idea About EA training program for graduate students as far i know in US they provide the Graduate students special training course etc in there last year .
well here is the link :https://jobs.ea.com/students/usa/intern.aspx

Do your programming well, very well and there is no company in the world that would not take you. You made a bad choice by leaving Computer Graphics as it is one of the most crucial part of game programming. DS + Computer Graphics + AI is killer if you want to enter the field.

Computer Graphics involvs a lot of maths. If you really want to enter the field I suggest you start now with it. Start with basic algorithms for line drawing, circle drawing and then to fractels etc, and finally start with OpenGL or DirectX programming using .NET or C++.

I would personally suggest you to take up a game as your final year project. Mind you game programming is one of the most challenging jobs in software industry.

^^^that was awesome .really wanted to take it as project but unfortunately my other group members wont agree to it and allready have started something related to gaming ...

thanks for reply mate .any more suggestion please let me know

C++ is still the most widely used game programming language. And buddy, if you want to work with Electronic Arts as a Game Developer, you have to be... exceptionally good at your work. Being able to make a game for your final year project isn't going to be nearly good enough. You have to be... creative, show that you have imagination.

There are a lot of ways to program some thing, there are lesser ways to program it efficiently.

But there's only one way to program it... differently. ;) That's what companies like EA look for in a programmer. You have to stand out. So if you skipped graphics in C++, you're a long, long way from EA.

Chase the dream though, and later you can help all of us get jobs at EA. :p

Alternatively you could try simulations. Consider simulation of a ball bouncing in a room or a body consisting of two or more particles reacting under a force. Such type of simulations involve lot of physics and maths and are not only important from gaming point of view but otherwise also. If you are an avid gamer then you can understand the importance of physics in a game.

When you pick up an object from the gravity gun in HL2 and throw it, its motion is determined by laws of physics. If you can simulate objects well then you have a chance to write the code of physics engine for a game. Again go into as much detail of physics as possible the more the merrier.

Simulations would require you to refer many physics and maths books. As you progress, the simulations would become harder but the scope is huge. Most companies such as vehicle, aircraft, defense and even CERN prefer to do simulations before then actually test something.

yeah thanks for that surely i will if i get into EA in future .Thats the fact i have missed but you can say a dream job of mine .

any books you will suggest me to refer and give a little kick start from now :(
Avtar said:
C++ is still the most widely used game programming language. And buddy, if you want to work with Electronic Arts as a Game Developer, you have to be... exceptionally good at your work. Being able to make a game for your final year project isn't going to be nearly good enough. You have to be... creative, show that you have imagination.

There are a lot of ways to program some thing, there are lesser ways to program it efficiently.

But there's only one way to program it... differently. ;) That's what companies like EA look for in a programmer. You have to stand out. So if you skipped graphics in C++, you're a long, long way from EA.

Chase the dream though, and later you can help all of us get jobs at EA. :p

There are way too many books out there for Game Development and Programming, just do a search and see which book is the best for you.

any book you know easy to understand or good for beginners !!I had used balaguruswami for C++ and Let us C (yashwant kanetkar )for C .the Graphic part in Balaguruswami was not too sufficient .

Please suggest me a good book friends .

@linuxtechie you told that for game development there are 20 java programmers .so is this mean that i have to concentrate more on Java ??as it could increase my chances in future when i plan to apply in EA or any such company .

predator, why don't you download existing game engines and look at and work on the source (like quake 3 source code available freely) then you can get an idea of your own real world aptitude for the thing :D

edit: ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/source/quake3-1.32b-source.zip

This is the combined source code for Quake III Arena and Quake III: Team Arena. It can be used to build the 1.32b point release or the Team Arena release. It contains buildable project files and all source code as well as prebuilt tool executables available under the GPL.

I just wanna ask is there any scope for game code developers .I had registered in EA website and there were hell lot of jobs for coder etc .I am into my final year of engg a crucial part of my life .I wanted to get into gaming industry ,so need your advice how much is there scope in this field .
Also heard from my friend who is hardcore coder and doing coding from his 4th standard.He told me all codes are written in C/C++. even the games like Crysis,Halo3 etc are coded using this languages .I am ok in both languages .I had skiped the Graphics part

You really have a lot of scope as a game code developer but u made a mistake of not learning Graphics ...nyway its not late...... You can also try your hands on Maya/ Python.

Gaming Industry is one of the High Potential Job Industry.. Go for it.. Gaming Needs are never gonna stop.... Even I'll be going there after completion of my Degree..

"is there any scope in game programming !!"

Well, according to Bachna Ae Haseeno's director and storywriters, there seems to be a lot of potential for game programmers. In their world, game programmers become fatcats who buy Porsche Cayennes and have an apartment in the richest parts of Australia with a VW Beetle parked in the apartment.

Oh and they also get to date Deepika Padukone.

From my above research, I would have to emphatically state that: YES there is huge scope for game programmers everywhere.

:D :eek:hyeah:

Payne

PS: Getting serious, if you're ready to work for it there's no limit to where you can go. The really difficult part is for you to get out of the convential Computer Science you've learnt so far in your engineering and move on to real-world cutting-edge technology. Yashwant Kanetkar and Balaguruswami have been around for ages.

If you're asking all these on a forum right now it worries me. By now you ought to have googled a 100 searches, got some relevant results, learnt up on the topic, shortlisted a few books/courses in India, called up the colleges offering these courses or ordered the books from KMD from Amazon, made a checklist of what all you have to learn....you get my drift right?

This forum will help, but it's time you utilized the rest of the internet as well. :)

PPS: That's a loong PS! :D

Right i dint want to make a new thread so -->

Im 14 right now, and i want to go into game programming (lol thats what everyone would want)

What i want to know is, is now the right time to start learning programming? What all stuff can i learn right NOW that is required for the future?

Do your Maths and Physics well buddy, for starters ! :) And start off basic programming in C/C++. Anyone at any time in his life can try and achieve anything if he is dedicated enough :)

Cheers !

~M

Back