isolating my ear from neighbours speakers ?? help ..

guys i have moved into new flat and my new neighbours play songs on speakers quite many times in a day ..
i dont mind anyone playing songs but not during my exam times ..
the sound is not that much reaching in my room but then also i prefer silence while studying ..

since my exams gonna start i have to study ..

so what is the best and comfortable solution to this ??

any ear isolation things ?? pricing etc ??
dont have time to make my windows sound proof , etc :p

i cant study while listening to even my fav songs on earphones , so that is not an option ..

any help ??

Talk to your neighbor first.
If it doesn't work out buy ear plugs for yourself or lend your earphones to your inconsiderate neighbor.

Ill agree with prabs.

Clear to him.That you dont mind but during exams you do mind.And see how he goes with it.

Buying ear plug for resisting sound is not big stuff.But atleast human value also needs to be understood.

If he doesnt relent.Ill request you to burn a sutli bomb outside his door at 3 am so atleast even your attitude with the chap also get clear that you no non sense guy.

Reason being if you keep on adjusting for such small issues with you own pocket you wont be able to take risk in bigger matters.

hmm , well i have seen them and i guess they are chinese students ..we have a lot of them in our clg..
lets see talking to them ..

anyways are earplugs comfortable ??
and what are some good earplugs ?? branded or unbranded to consider ??

Are they Triads? If not then what is stopping you from talking to them. I don't understand why you are so eager to compromise (like our govt.).

Anyways - earplugs are available for Rs.49/- upwards. Any brand will do and they should feel like in ear headphones.

Chini idiots aside, i think the best way to go forwards is with earplugs. No idea on cost, but they should tide you over those exam times.

I have faced similar problems several times. Here is what I would do:
1. Talk directly to the neighbour. explain your problem.
2. If that doesn't, talk to his/her parents.
3. Tell them if they continue playing loud music, you will call the police. I have actually called the police several times for this, once even got speakers at a local mandir silenced. But might not be viable if your parents don't support.
4. If nothing works, download some white noise tracks. Some tracks have a really soothing music with nature's sound, birds chirping, water flowing. Listen to them with an ear bud or if you can buy one, an IEM. Basic onces start from Rs 500/-.

The last option is the one that I use now. It always works.

If you have more neighbours... so that the one that you want to target can not know that it was you..then you can do the following.

1. Buy Chart Paper and Bold Sketch Pens.

2. Prepare a Sign Board out of it.

3. Write.. "Ok, I'm the asshole on XYZ Floor who likes to make others listen to my music. Screw you if your kids have exams, it's my right to play music at the full volume.. Boo Yeah!! "

4. Put up the Sign in the Passage way at the late night.

5. Profit !!

Alternatively you can take xerox of this Sign and put it up on each Floor; choice is yours.

rajeshjsl said:
hmm , well i have seen them and i guess they are chinese students ..we have a lot of them in our clg..

lets see talking to them ..

anyways are earplugs comfortable ??

and what are some good earplugs ?? branded or unbranded to consider ??

Just goto any decent Medical store. Ask them for "3M" Earplugs. They are very cheap, around 30 bucks, And very comfortable.(made of cork)

But do note that you need to replace them every fortnight as they tend to loose shape.

Dont go for the non branded/Local ones. They might give you ear infections.

Also when buying do check the "3M" Logo on the plastic cover.

Regards,

aka.

Talk to them. It's that simple.

I lived next to a Marraige Hall. Now such a query suits me. I can't just walk up to them and say "Hey, I've got an exam tomorrow, can you skip the marraige. I don't have a problem but not during my exams please" See...you are lucky. Use your luck. :)

3M plugs with a closed back headphone. No need to play any song too. I use this trick during diwali. Works with cotton too if you dont want to spend on earplugs. You can hear a little sound but its quite faint like its far off.

Not the cheapest option but if you got money, Bose Quitecomfort over the ear headphones has this battery powered noise cancellation circuitry, I reviewed it last year for a tech site, it worked amazingly great even when I had 300watts RMS monitor speakers blasting right in front of me. The silence was weird but it worked. This is just what I think could help you technically.

weird , he played music tody on very low volumes ..is he on techenclave :p , lets see tomorrow :)
madnav said:
If you have more neighbours... so that the one that you want to target can not know that it was you..then you can do the following.

1. Buy Chart Paper and Bold Sketch Pens.
2. Prepare a Sign Board out of it.
3. Write.. "Ok, I'm the asshole on XYZ Floor who likes to make others listen to my music. Screw you if your kids have exams, it's my right to play music at the full volume.. Boo Yeah!! "
4. Put up the Sign in the Passage way at the late night.
5. Profit !!

Alternatively you can take xerox of this Sign and put it up on each Floor; choice is yours.

LOL , we are still in India not USA :p
aka911 said:
Just goto any decent Medical store. Ask them for "3M" Earplugs. They are very cheap, around 30 bucks, And very comfortable.(made of cork)
But do note that you need to replace them every fortnight as they tend to loose shape.
Dont go for the non branded/Local ones. They might give you ear infections.

Also when buying do check the "3M" Logo on the plastic cover.

Regards,
aka.
thanks for this ..
Sarath_ said:
Talk to them. It's that simple.

I lived next to a Marraige Hall. Now such a query suits me. I can't just walk up to them and say "Hey, I've got an exam tomorrow, can you skip the marraige. I don't have a problem but not during my exams please" See...you are lucky. Use your luck. :)
will try ..
6pack said:
3M plugs with a closed back headphone. No need to play any song too. I use this trick during diwali. Works with cotton too if you dont want to spend on earplugs. You can hear a little sound but its quite faint like its far off.
whats this back headphone ..
Sarath_ said:
Industry grade earplugs. Shave off 15db or around that. See if you can find any.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk
whats this elvex earplugs sying 32db nrr .. are they good ??

I am actually thinking about buying me a pair of earmuffs.I have started going to a new office location which requires close to 4 hrs of commute in the company bus.Preparing for my GMAT so these could be quite helpful in traffic.I am planning to buy ones which have a specification of 24-29dB level.I dont know whether thats the sound level they restrict.Went to the 3M office in UB city yday and called the customer care.The distributor seels earmuffs anywhere from 300 to 2k bucks including 3M, Peltor(famous in shooting ranges).These kind of earmuffs are used in construction sites, road construction etc.The higher range would include used in shooting ranges, airports etc.
The foam earplugs can only go so far.Pretty much the same if you use in iear earphones without music. May be try the ones made from silicon.

No offense to the suggestiob but ROFL @ bose accoustic , if i buy those i might end up listening to music to see if its really wroth spending 10-15k for those bose branded headphones :p rather than try hw mch it isolates with no music :).

Buying a IEM and a sansa clip+ and giving to the neighbour would seem to be a cheaper option :D.

lmao... I demo'ed the 2 bose noise cancelling headphone models yesterday... they isolate worse than typical iem's with shallow seal. I'm sure a triple flange over the ear iem like the m6 isolates better much better. They are just slightly better than a typical closed back headphone and sound is about the same as a <1k Philips/Panasonic headphone.

Back