IT/form 16 returns acknowledgement for people residing out of country?

smnrock

Skilled
Our office consultant usually do the IT returns online and give me the hardcopy which I need to sign and send to the IT office via normal post.

This year I'm in out of country, So sending the hard copy is too much from here. Is it really required? Why this is needed?

I know lots of TE'ens are outside, how you guys are handling this?

Sending it is mandatory. Because there is no digital signature in your returns, they need a physical copy with your signature to authenticate the filed returns. There was some proposal some time back about doing away with that procedure, but I guess it hasn't gone through yet. Up to 120 days time after filing the returns is allowed, so I guess you can still send by ordinary mail from wherever you are. You can ask your office consultant to send you the soft copy, which you can print and sign before sending. I understand it is a headache, but I guess the options are little. If you don't send the ITR V within the timeframe, your returns will be considered invalid, as if you never filed one.

Get the softcopy of Form V, sign and mail it to the address (regular mail). Else, your tax consultant can file it for you. They might charge more for that.

Dont worry even if it crosses 120days. But try to do it within that period. Max is they will send you a notice that you have not sent in your Form V and they will ask you to send the same ASAP. This happened to my wife as she forgot to send it.

Get the soft copy to someone in India, and they can speed post it to Bangalore, the office. Couriers get rejected. As soon as the first form is submitted, you get a return back mail with a PDF. You take that print out and mail it to Bangalore. Send that PDF to anyone in India. Why mail it (hard copy) from the States.

^Exactly... now i've the PDF of ITR V. So only option is to sign it and send back to my friend, who can post it from locally? I thought there could be some options for people who stays in abroad.

^^
Or just ask your friend to forge your signature. That would be easier...! Small piece of paper, you will need to mail across to your friend. Choice is yours. Yea, it sounds bad, but no harm.

Back