Audio It is all about Two

esanthosh

Skilled
Introduction

On the second working day of the second week of the second month of the year at 4 PM, my calling bell rang. This is the second time the UPS franchisee has delivered a package to my address. I eagerly opened the UPS cover, inside which there was a second cover. It contained a Pelican case whose model number had two 10's. The case was packed with two things, first of which is unimportant. The second thing, which is the subject of this post, is the second IEM I have received this month and my second custom IEM ever. The IEM has dual BA drivers in a two way configuration and even has a Two in it's name. It is, as many of you may have guessed is...

Custom Art Music Two
0TIhAGv.jpg

Ordering Experience

If you want to know more about the process of ordering Custom IEMs, I have sufficiently covered it here. So, let me just stick to the story of how I got the Music Two (hereinafter referred to as M2 when lazy).

In many ways, Music Two should have been my first and probably only CIEM. Even though I did not know Piotr (or Peter, if you want to stick to English names. He is piotrus-g on head-fi) before this , a few head-fi members who I consider knowledgeable have mentioned that Piotr was instrumental in building their knowledge about Custom IEMs. Just before I began my conversations with Piotr via PM and E-mail, Music Two had been announced. While reviews were available for Music One, no one knew how Music Two would sound, except Piotr. It was a risk, especially with a custom IEM, to buy blind when even those bought based on reviews sometimes do not turn out so well. With the blind faith that Piotr knows what he is doing, I set out to discuss how to go about the ordering process and so on. In fact, I sent photos of my ear impressions (taken for Noble 4C) to Piotr to get his inputs. If it had not been for Piotr's holiday break between 20th Dec and 6th Jan, chances are I would have sent them to Piotr.

One thing I must mention about Piotr is that I never had to wait for a reply. May be it's just the better overlap between waking hours (compared to me and Brannan in US), but I got my replies mostly within an hour or two, sometimes within minutes. I often wondered if he ever sleeps. But after a recent series of E-mails, he did mention it was '3 AM here and I am going to sleep now'. So, I know that at least on some days, he may sleep :p. During the course of these E-mail exchanges, I have asked some downright silly questions as well. But, Piotr addressed them patiently, which was great.

I have to say that compared to the ups and downs of my experience getting Noble 4C, Music Two has been such a smooth ride. I had already discussed and set everything up with Piotr before his break. Since both the audiologist and I had prior experience due to Noble 4C, everything was done quickly and smoothly. There weren't any delays, hiccups or anything to agitate my nerves during the entire time period.

Diary of Events

06th Jan: Visited Amplifon to take my ear mold impressions. I sent the photos by E-mail the same night.

07th Jan: Piotr approved the impressions while I was asleep. Sent the impressions through DTDC-DHL to Poland the same day.

10th Jan: Ear mold impressions reached Piotr.

07th Feb: My Music Two was complete and shipped by UPS.

11th Feb: Delivery without any Customs Duty (Huge Lucky Escape!)

17th Feb: My left ear piece reached Piotr (along with ear mold impressions). There was an issue with the socket, which Piotr confirmed. He had already began re-shelling it within a couple of hours of delivery.

22nd Feb: Piotr had sent it back by Priority shipping. Great thing is you only pay for one way shipping. Piotr takes care of return shipping, unless you need speedy delivery and opt for express shipping. He forgot to inform me that he sent it. On the flip side, he saved me lot of $$$ as I'd have opted for UPS had he informed :p

03rd Mar: Delivery by Postman, a pleasant surprise since I was thinking that Piotr may need more time to fix mine as he has his hands full with other orders.

Cost of Acquisition

CIEM Basic charges

Custom Art Music Two with detachable Cables 1150 PLN
Special Colors for Left and Right - 30 PLN each 60 PLN

UPS World-wide Saver Shipping 175 PLN

Paypal Fees @ 4% 55.40 PLN

Other costs

Cost of Ear mold impression: ₹300
DTDC Courier : ₹1700

Total cost of acquisition (rounded) : ₹32,500

Additional Costs

Sending back to fix the Left ear socket: ₹1,700

Notes:
  1. One thing to keep in mind is that this was the Pre-order price. Now the regular price for a Fixed cable option is 1300 PLN and the one with a detachable cable is 1500 PLN.
  2. Prior to this, EMS at 150 PLN was the quickest delivery method, while UPS was an unlisted option. Going forward, considering that EMS and UPS costs are not that far apart, Piotr will replace EMS option with UPS.
  3. Currency fluctuations are part of the game when making international purchases. But, it isn't a huge factor in the context of the overall costs. May be psychologically, it can help keep the overall costs a little less (like Bata pricing, ₹31,900 may seem less than ₹32,300).
XYIAPNG.jpg

It's all about Variety

Most people have a particular sound signature that they like. While I do have a particular affinity towards something neutral, I have grown accustomed to variety of signatures during my universal IEM journey. Rather than chasing a particular sound signature, I have become a collector of sound signatures, which was and is a worrying factor when it comes to my journey into the wallet reducing world of Custom IEMs.

While you can always buy two similar sounding universal IEMs, choose to keep one and sell the other, such a strategy would not work out well in CIEMs unless you are prepared to lose money, lots of it. So, I wanted my second CIEM to be something different in every way to my first CIEM. Let's see how far it has worked out.

1) Material: Acrylic vs Silicone

Instead of reading about the differences between Acrylic and Silicone, I decided to experience it myself. Since you typically need more Silicone to hold things in place compared to acrylic, Two is a tad larger than my 4C (See size comparison between 4C and Two in the post below).

2) Price Range

Noble 4C was a Mid-tier CIEM in terms of price at $700. I wanted to check out what CIEMs at the $400 offer.

3) Sound Signature

Since Noble 4C was neutral, I thought I'd check out something a bit more 'musical' to provide some contrast. As good as 4C is, it is neutral and a bit too smooth at times. With it's slightly enhanced bass, energetic yet non-troubling treble and good mids, Music Two adds that liveliness and foot tapping when you need it.

4) Fit and Seal

My Noble 4C does not extend deeper into the canals. But, Music Two extends deeper. Compared to the 'find the canal, insert, twist' fitting motion of the acrylic (which gets easier after a few tries), it is a bit more harder to insert the Music Two (twist, push, twist). I find M2 to be far less obtrusive than the acrylic 4C when I make chewing motion, but I still won't try eating with it inside my ear. But once inside the ear, Silicone is more comfortable than Acrylic.

5) Maintenance

My first thought as soon as I received the Music Two was "How am I going to keep dust off this thing?". No matter how clean I try to keep my house, dust is always present as a result of the surroundings. Silicone material when combined with the transparent black color presents a greater challenge than keeping the acrylic 4C clean. I feel it is going to be like my black work table. No matter how often you clean it, specks of dust will show up worse than before.

Technical Aspects

Though I only care about the final sound, for those who are interested, here are some details about Music Two.

Drivers:

Music Two uses AcuPass driver (See Video) which is innovative product form Sonion - built on specially created version of 2300 driver (as tweeter) and 1700 as woofer. Additionally, woofer shoots sound through very very tiny spout built into unit, that works as an acoustical low pass filter - hence the name AcuPass.

Impedance: 75 ohm at 1 Khz (22 Ohm at 4200 Hz)
Sensitivity : 109 dB at 1 Khz, 0.1 V

Frequency Response of Music Two

969283_483997878387705_47594575_n.jpg

tomscy2000's take on sources

People concerned about output impedance pairing with amps and DAPs should look at the 22 Ω value and pair accordingly. If we use the 8× damping factor rule-of-thumb, then OI should be no higher than 2.75 Ω on your sources. However, output impedance affects mainly only the mid-highs and lower treble of the Music Two. Here is a graph of the difference between the response of the Music Two when paired with a high output impedance source (~20 Ω), and a low output impedance source (~0.5 Ω, green trace). Depending on personal preferences, people can use different output impedance sources (e.g. CEntrance HiFi-M8, or serial resistance adapters) to alter the desired mid-highs.

500x1000px-LL-a20f553f_981630.jpeg

More information can be found in this thread.

Initial Impressions

The build quality and finish of Two is really good. The colors actually came out better than I expected and hence, it looks better than the photos. Even though my 4C is a Wizard design and all, I like the looks of Music Two a tad more. Music Two, at times, feels a bit more sensitive as I can observe some hiss when plugging it into Clip+. Being a CIEM, it has admirable low volume listening experience, much like 4C. Depending on the track, it needs a slight 1-2dB more on my Rockboxed Clip+ compared to 4C.

Most of the impressions were formed during Casual listening. Some comparisons were done, of course. Since my time for using IEMs in general and CIEMs in particular is restricted to 2-4 hours per week, my aim was not an accurate, critical review, but rather a quick ball park impression to provide an idea.

In short, I'd say Music Two is 'musical'. It forms a good contrast to the neutral, balanced, smooth Noble 4C. As far as I've heard, I find it hard to find a universal that sounds similar to Music Two. But then, I have been out of touch with the IEM market for the last couple of years, so you never know if there is something that hits very closer to Music Two in universal form.

When I received my 4C and started listening to it, I knew for a fact that it was a solid upgrade over all of my existing IEMs. When I listened to Music Two, I did not feel it was a great upgrade. If you want a numerical indicator, 4C scored 9.9 on ljokerl's thread. I'd peg Music Two around 9.4 or thereabouts. In the absence of reference IEMs, especially CIEMs at similar price point, it is harder for me to gauge exactly where Two stands, just that the difference between 4C and my good universals is larger than the difference between M2 and my good universals. However, it is worthwhile to remember that 4C cost me twice as much (base price of silicone version, 4S @ $1000 is 2X the price of Music Two with detachable cable @ ~ $494 at today's conversion rates), has twice as many drivers (though number of drivers usually has no bearing on the final sound quality) and is tuned differently. Custom Art's Pro line-up, especially something like Pro 330 v2 could make for a more meaningful comparison.

The other thing I can say about my two customs is that they have less glaring faults (apart from great strengths like isolation, low volume listening and lack of necessity for tip rolling). Let's take a 'fun' IEM like TF10 (Not sure about UE900 since I haven't heard it and it's highly doubtful whether I'll buy it). Music Two is technically better on every front - tonal balance, bass quality, mid range, treble quality and coherency. That makes it a much more pleasurable listen compared to TF10.

When we think 'fun', we typically associate it with a V-shape - heavy bass, slightly recessed mid range, bumped up treble. But, Music Two hits closer to my idea of fun - which is slightly enhanced bass and treble, but without compromising on the quality of the mid range. When I started out in the IEM world, I was a treble-head. I absolutely loved my DBA-02 and CK10. Then, I found that bass, even if it has loads of quantity can be quite enjoyable when done well (DDMs, FX700, especially EX1000). Call it ageing or maturity, I find it hard to enjoy music without a good mid range these days.

The bass of Music Two is linear with a slightly longish decay and does not bleed into the mid range. It is not bass heavy IEM by any means. While it has a touch more quantity than 4C, the quantity and depth is less than a good dynamic like EX1000. It sounds slightly fuller and carries more quantity and impact than 4C, but loses to 4C in tightness and finesse. During casual listening, the bass appears more in line with mids compared to treble, but I think it is a slight notch boosted compared to the mid range.

The mid range of Two is clear, smooth and to borrow a word from it's web site, organic. The mid range sounds a touch fuller and warmer next to the 4C. I would not say that Two lags too far behind in terms of mid range clarity or engagement, just that 4C sounds a touch more nuanced. 4C's lower mids are a bit more forward, which when combined with slightly better resolution and realistic note weight makes 4C a bit more likable.

The lower treble of Two has a slight boost, a touch more than how the bass is emphasized compared to the mid range. It has bit more body and sparkle and thus, sounds livelier compared to 4C. 4C's treble on the other hand, is much more in line with mids, feel more linear (you know about my HF hearing, so this is a speculation), smoother and accurate. But, when the track calls for it, Two's extra treble energy makes the sound more engaging and fun.

The sound stage of Two is well rounded in width and depth. While separation and imaging of Two is nothing to fault about, I feel more like I am listening to a good universal. 4C feels more spacious with each instrument in it's own location. When combined with excellent layering, 4C makes Two sound a touch blended in comparison.

Overall, Two is a bit U-shaped compared to 4C. But due to the slight emphasis on bass and treble, it sounds a bit more dynamic and livelier, a touch more fuller and warmer. When I bought Music Two, my aim was to get something that complements 4C, something I could prefer over universals when I can afford the isolation and time to insert and remove of the CIEMs. I would say, on that front, Two ticks all the right boxes.

<More comparisons if and when I get time>

Attachments

• Mprqm3x.jpg
    Mprqm3x.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:
:eek:

EDIT: Quick impressions please! My pair arrive this week, but I leave for India tomorrow and wont be back till the 18th.

My reason for buying the M2 is the same as yours, will either ask Piotr to re-tune a miracle and reshell it silicone or perhaps get the 4C for my neutral fix. Tried the JH13FQ demo and I think I like the miracle more. It's something that took me a while to realise but I do need the option to switch signatures every few weeks, my HE-4 received more head time than the LCD2 but it was always nice to have the option of both.

I agree about the customer service part as well, replies from Piotr were always quick and quite detailed. It would be fantastic if Custom Art can maintain this level of service despite the rapid growth, its a trait that most other CIEM makers don't possess.

Last edited:
Quick impressions please! My pair arrive this week, but I leave for India tomorrow and wont be back till the 18th.

Unfortunately, I cannot give you quick impressions at this time. I couldn't listen enough to form the right opinion. My left ear has a minor issue (cable comes off easily) and I should send it back to Piotr today or tomorrow. The only things I could observe in that short period was that the bass had good extension, good quantity, long decay which contrasts 4C's tighter and quicker bass. There was also good amount of sparkle, which added some liveliness. I felt that 4C may have an edge in imaging and layering, (may be) resolution and clarity. Overall, in the brief session, I was convinced that Music Two could do well against my current top universals, but did not feel it could compete against 4C. But, considering that I did not even try my familiar tracks, I cannot say for sure how much of this would turn out to be a correct assessment.

My reason for buying the M2 is the same as yours, will either ask Piotr to re-tune a miracle and reshell it silicone or perhaps get the 4C for my neutral fix. Tried the JH13FQ demo and I think I like the miracle more. It's something that took me a while to realise but I do need the option to switch signatures every few weeks, my HE-4 received more head time than the LCD2 but it was always nice to have the option of both.

Exactly. I cannot live without different signatures.

I agree about the customer service part as well, replies from Piotr were always quick and quite detailed. It would be fantastic if Custom Art can maintain this level of service despite the rapid growth, its a trait that most other CIEM makers don't possess.

I totally agree. CS is one aspect many people overlook (or do not have sufficient information about) when going for a CIEM, but I feel it is the most important. Since Piotr is both a head-fier as well as a CIEM manufacturer, he is very easy to approach and strike a conversation with. But, I fondly hope that he or whomever he delegates the customer service to in the future keeps up the same level of communication and customer service.

One thing I can assure is that Piotr's build and finish is excellent. I was pleasantly surprised by how good the colors have come out (better than the photos). Even though my 4C is wizard design and all, I love the look of Music Two a slight bit more. It took me a bit longer to insert the IEM even compared to 4C. As average_joe mentioned on THL, it's more of a twist and push than just push, then twist of acrylics. Comfort was better on the outside (didn't feel the softer silicones), but M2 extended slightly deeper into the canals than 4C, which I hadn't gotten used to yet. Here's some terrible, out of focus photography to help you compare both side by side (4C Left, M2 Left, 4C Right, M2 Right)

kYmTjhY.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks a lot! Plenty of information there. The M2s are quite a bit longer than your C4s. The finish in the pictures looks quite good, what really had me drooling were some of his "state of the art" designs.

Looks like my Music Two will be a bit delayed. The shells didn't meet Piotr's quality standards so he'll be re-doing them. If he can fit all the drivers in, Piotr would be doing a retune of the UM Miracles as well, I have used pair to reshell. Here's what he had to say, "Well, retuned Miracles had very very "monitor" type of sound. Ultra fast and detailed but quite soft and pleasing. I felt in love with its highs, which was nothing I heard up till now. Closest match I can think of would be silk dome speaker tweeter timbre".

Last edited:
Got back my left piece.

In a way, I am very glad that I went for two CIEMs instead of one. Music Two contrasts 4C very well and adds foot tapping fun to music. More impressions as and when I get time.

Do you notice a fairly large amount of hiss? Tried it with quite a few sources and it shows up on all of them, quite sensitive.

I tried it briefly with UHA6S, but did not notice any distracting amount of hiss. Let me try it with other sources and update this post in the night.

@Ritvik,

What are the sources you have tried them with?

Clip+, Cowon X9, Sony E353, Arrow 3G, UHA6S: No Hiss
iPod Video 5.5G: Yes, there is hiss

Last edited:
@Ritvik,

I tried it with iPhone 5, iPad 3 too. But, I did not get any hiss. I have notified Piotr about your issue. Guess he would get in touch you soon.

Well technically speaking hiss is not a problem of IEM but the problem of source in combination with IEMs that are just quite sensitive in given frequency range.

However I also don't get any hiss with Music Two, which makes Ritvik's reports particularly strange. I always check IEMs on every step of production (bare drivers - also do DC impedance matching for left-right channels, than drivers with tubing before enclosing in silicone then, closed IEMs before engraving and then finished IEMs just before shipping). Ritvik's IEMs were also measured this way and showed no discrepancies from typical Music Two output target curve.

Last edited:
Updated the first post.

Due to lack of time for IEMs, initial impressions got a bit delayed. I actually wrote a lot more and while listening to both 4C and Two, no less, but all of it got lost due to a mysterious mishap when updating my post :(. I have tried to write what little I remembered, but it may not be as good as 'write-while-listening' impressions.

I think I'll be off most forums for a little while and may not find time to spend meaningful time with IEMs. Anyways, I will try to keep the post updated as and when I find time.

Last edited:
the universal victor new woody fx850 is supposed to be mental . timbre amongst the best of any iem/ciem, waiting for lear reviews.. ive been eyeing the 1plus2 or spiral ears se5. even the hidition nt6 / jh 13 freqphase but it seems people have been waiting more then 120 days for their roxannes to come lol always something that keeps me away from jh audio, but after hearing the sennheiser hd800 im sort of confused on spending on iems. lol yes its that good. but if ur lookin to change / side/upgrade then u should def look into these. its a never ending journey this, trying to find the best possible sound of our liking hahaha we've all been burnt :D

right now very very happy with the hd25-1 II .. perfect sound with electronic music. couldnt be happier, finally found a keeper :)

could you try some electronic tracks with the music two? would u call it fairly neutral / balanced .. or leans towards warm?

Interesting impressions esanthosh,

Something ClieOS said recently, comes to mind.
There are V-shaped that has a lot of bass that will knock your socks off, and there are V-shaped with just a nice touch of bass that gives texture and space to otherwise an flat analytical sound. DN-1000 is the later. Don't get scared off at the first read of 'V-shaped' as it is not always a bad thing.

I see the Music 2 has taken the No. 2 spot, above the EX1000. Is this an overall preference? Would you prefer the EX1000 for a particular genre for instance?

The mid range of Two is clear, smooth and to borrow a word from it's web site, organic. 4C's lower mids are a bit more forward, which when combined with slightly better resolution and realistic note weight makes 4C a bit more likable.,

In my mind, organic = realistic note weight?
Also, which universal(that you own/or had/or tried) has the best mids in your opinion. And how does the Music 2 compare. Biased, subjective opinions are welcome
:)

Can you tell us a little more about the sub-bass feel. Does it flesh out the bass?

Last edited:
@toxicdrift

I will definitely be getting a FX850 this year, just not sure about the timing.

Yes! Same here regarding JH Audio. I am intrigued by what people tell me about JH13FP. Whenever I seriously considered it, I hear this or that about waiting time or customer service and my enthusiasm totally drains away.

Regarding HD800, I'd have bought one if I was interested in headphones. Unfortunately, my HD600 and DT880 have been sleeping unused for more than a year and a half. I just don't see myself using headphones except for brief periods of curiosity. It's Stax or die for me, most probably the latter since I don't see money, interest in headphones, time to use them - all coming together unless I can do something miraculous within the next 2-3 years :p

The problem with asking me about electronic music is that I don't know how a particular track is supposed to sound at it's best. Given my complete lack of knowledge about Electronic music, I just tried a bit of Deadmau5, Infected Mushroom's 'Heavy weight', Armin van Buuren (probably all come from vague memory of Faheem's list years back), a bit of Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers and Massive Attack. I'd say that Two redeems itself well. But, I think a bit more sound stage size would have been helpful. Still, slight V-shaped dynamics with larger sound stage would do better. There's something with (good, finely tuned) dynamics' bass that BAs despite their 'bass quality' and natural quickness do not seem to match.

I'd say M2 leans a bit towards warmness. It is mildly U-shaped, a touch more brighter than bassy. It can sound relatively balanced when put against some of the other mid-bass heavy or V-shaped IEMs. However, it is certainly not tuned towards a neutral / flat / analytical target curve.

Last edited:
I see the Music 2 has taken the No. 2 spot, above the EX1000. Is this an overall preference? Would you prefer the EX1000 for a particular genre for instance?

Just the overall preference without proper comparisons. EX1000 may still be preferred for Classical and Jazz, I'd think. It still rules in timbre. With proper comparisons, EX1000 may take back the #2 position, you never know (read below).

In my mind, organic = realistic note weight?

I used "Organic" as a characteristic - smooth, non-dry, free flowing, lively... something like that. I have used that description for RE262 as well, which is thicker in note presentation, IIRC.

Music Two's note weight across the range is a bit more fleshed out than 4C, not 'thick', mind you, but a little more. With 4C, the note weight has a slightly more 'realistic' feel - as in somehow it seems to stand perfectly mid-way between thick and thin - not a step on either side. Sometimes, when subjectively writing about what I hear, I kind of have these associations in mind, but they cannot always be translated into precise definitions (worsened by my lack of touch with audio vocabulary). When you hear them side by side, it is much easier to understand than me going on and on about it :p (kind of like how you can read hours and hours of RE-400 vs RE272 and imagine how it could be, but suddenly realize "oh! so that's what they were talking about" when you compare them side by side. It could be within the broad range of what you imagined, but subtleties cannot always be put in words unless you choose to conjure poetic imagery).

Also, which universal(that you own/or had/or tried) has the best mids in your opinion. And how does the Music 2 compare. Biased, subjective opinions are welcome

This is hard to answer, because to me, there is no best, but 'best in a certain way'. That said, Shures, may be? Timbre wise - EX1000.

Even though I (always am /) can be hugely biased and subjective, it's hard to opine without at least comparing them from memory. My audio memory has been wiped clean since I have not used anything other than 4C and Two over the last month and a half, but only for a total of may be 15+ hours combined. May be in a month (or more), I may get time to have a proper crack at it. I am just unable to use IEMs, leave alone CIEMs with any regularity. Even this Sunday, I thought 8 AM - 9 AM would be a good time to try and use M2 because nobody would disturb me, but ended up missing a phone call.

The other reason is that, the relative 'feel' part of the comparison just cannot happen without presence of a proper mood, right music, time and both IEMs side by side. Both may be good, both may sound engaging, but one may completely blow the other away by doing something special in a track. That is why I'd refrain from replying to this part for now.

Sub-bass is pretty good. It does hit deeper when needed.

Last edited:
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I was hoping someone could answer my question? I have just sent and order form to Custom art and about to send my impressions. I have not received any replies from Peter or the Company and thus unable to make any payment....at what point did you make a payment to Custom Art?

Kind regards,

J

Back