Java Programming books for beginner

Rahul++

SuperUser
Skilled
Hey,

I'm in 3rd year of Computer Science and Engineering. This semester we've to learn Java programming. I need to buy books which will help me to understand the concepts clearly. Can anyone suggest me best books available in market/ebooks?
One more request, I'm very much into c++ project. I've done project on Vending Machine Software in C++ and want to make an UI interface for same. I am absolutely newbie in UI thing. I want to learn it, please guide me about it.

I found no tutor or classes in my area are that helpful in case of UI developing so I'll prefer to learn it in home only.

Thanks,
Rahul.

The Java programming language - Ken Arnold, James Gosling
Core Java Volume 1&2 - Cay Horstmann
Big Java - Cay Horstmann
Head First Java - Kathy Sierra and Bates are some of the good books for java.

I am not sure what kind of a UI you need, but on Windows perhaps MFC is the best option. Books by Jeff Prosise or Kruglingski are the better ones. You could also get Beginning visual c++ 2008 by Ivor Horton.
I would recommend QT. Works on many platforms including windows and linux. Programming QT 4 by Pearson education and QT book by No startch press too is good.

head first java - if u are just starting with java

thinking in java - u can use it forever !!

p.s. - there is no better book in my opinion than "thinking in java"

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

dont go for herbert schildt... they are almost a copy of the api reference...

Head first Java - Kathy Sierra, Bert Bates. That is a very good book for starting with java and also will help you in getting Sun certified

Didn't you know Java already ?

Anyway the Complete Ref book is not that goo.d Try something else, for better learning Hortsmann is the best bet.

Damn ! I bought Java Complete Reference by HS. It was prescribed in my syllabus :(

So which is good book for Java ?

TIA :)

As already suggested Head first java is an excellent introduction. You could follow it up with "The Java programming language" by Ken Arnold and James Golsing(Java creator).

If u are learning java then learn it the actual way.. Learning from head first will be easy but then you will have to learn the actual things again later(though headfurst can helps u code fast..) so better learn only once for eg from Thinking in Java...

Back