Jio DTH, Broadband, and More: 5 Things to Expect From Reliance Jio in 2017

6pack

ex-Mod
Source: NDTV Gadgets

Having spoken to various sources within Jio, we have a fair idea in terms of what to expect from the company in the future. Here is a look at 5 things you can expect from Reliance Jio this year:

1. Jio DTH service

Reliance Jio is expected to launch Direct-to-Home (DTH) TV service, reportedly with 350+ channels, out of which over 50 will be HD channels. To use the service, customers will need to have the JioTV app and Jio SIM on their phones, and the connection will require a Jio home broadband connection. The hybrid Reliance Jio DTH set-top box will allow users to get cable channels as well as streaming services on their TV, similar to the Airtel Internet TV set-top box launched recently. The DTH service will be integrated with Jio’s cloud storage platform, and the content will be saved online to stream; in fact, users will have the option to watch week-old TV content on the service, without the need for local storage. Expect features like voice controls, ability to play games over the cloud, and more.

2. Reliance Jio broadband service

Reliance Jio is widely expected to launch a Fibre-to-the-Home (FTTH) broadband service, which will deliver speeds up to 1Gbps. The pilot programme has already started, Reliance Industries said in its Q1 regulatory filing, and will be expanded to more cities soon. The service also got a mention in September when Mukesh Ambani launched Reliance Jio operations. The high-speed optical fibre service will likely come bundled with Jio services. There is no word on the Reliance Jio home broadband launch date and price yet.

Users having the Jio home broadband service are reportedly getting speeds between 70Mbps and 100Mbps. One user has tweeted screenshots showing download speeds of 743.28Mbps in Pune. However, it is not the only broadband service offering 1Gbps speed, as ACT Fibernet has already launched its gigabit service in Hyderabad.

3. Jio Money (read at the source)

4. 4G VoLTE feature phone
A report says the VoLTE feature phone will have Spreadtrum chipsets, though talks are said to be on with Qualcomm and MediaTek as well. The feature phones are said to be priced between Rs. 999 and Rs. 1,500.

5. Home automation and other smart products

Reliance already has its brand of Reconnect accessories, and you can expect a lot more products to become available under that range this year. What’s more, the group is also said to be working on a range of home automation products that will of course work with the Jio network to let you be in control no matter where you are. The company is also working on a new app called Jio MediaShare that will let you easily stream content on your mobile devices from your PC or laptop. Jio has also developed Chromecast-like devices that let you enjoy the same experience on the big screen. The ability to start watching content on one screen and continue on another, seamlessly, is being touted as a big feature.

Never heard of Spreadtrm chipset for mobiles.
Any way looking at the news, it seems like Reliance is moving forward to make people buy all of their products for the dth service. I wonder if they will give out the channels directly over internet instead of using a dish, else there's no way broadband over fibre or on 4G phone should be compulsory for that. This looks like breaking so many rules here. Why only a Reliance connection necessary in the first place? Why not any other internet or phone provider? Suppose everyone plays stupid games like this. Then the customers will lose since we will have to buy unwanted or badly made services from only one provider.

...I wonder if they will give out the channels directly over internet instead of using a dish...

The same way you get hdtv via the jiotv app on a jio 4g connection, they will give tv via their ftth connections. This was actually their master plan way back when they were cutting roads (instead of digging them!) and laying fiber to individual buildings. Then the bada bhai chota bhai split happened and everything went to shit and the competition got 12+ years to rip people off. Else there would be one fiber to each house providing tv, internet and telephone. Convergence of multiple services via a single pipe was always the idea. As long as their ftth works well and is cheap i don't see what the problem is and why anyone would want to use another service provider to access jio tv.

Never heard of Spreadtrm chipset for mobiles.
Lol. All the crappy low end Sammy have this. Off lately, Even Samsung realised that consumers are becoming clever due to YouTube Videos and they started using Exynos SoC for J2 and J3 and the likes!

We have got Jio DTH. Video quality is good for HD and SD but unfortunately there is no surround sound even for HD channels. There is no sound after selecting 5.1 in sound settings with a Yamaha YHT 296

This article has picture of Set top box, a Korean make, they say

https://telecomtalk.info/reliance-j...tb-and-ftth-broadband-services-report/163237/

jio-dth-stb.png

There a few videos on YouTube detailing Jio Set Top Box

about time i say!i'm paying 965 per month for two tvs on tata sky!thats daylight robbery i'd say!let jio burn the dominant DTH players and we get sensibly priced DTH options!

about time i say!i'm paying 965 per month for two tvs on tata sky!thats daylight robbery i'd say!let jio burn the dominant DTH players and we get sensibly priced DTH options!
Seriously i have Tata sky too and it's prices are really bullshit
I got tata sky back in 2009 when digitization first started in South delhi and i used to pay 150 for all the channels and now i pay Rs665 and i don't even have most sports channels and zero HD channels.
If you want TenHD you have to pay Rs75 for it, what kind of retarded price is that for a AD supported channel.
Im sure these dth operators have more than 500% profit margins and this digitization is helping them to get even more customers everyday.

Only reason i haven't thrown my tata sky box is because i got its PlusHD box with 500GB hdd for really cheap (2k) in 2011 and now i cannot watch tv without recording/pausing feature.

Seriously i have Tata sky too and it's prices are really bullshit
I got tata sky back in 2009 when digitization first started in South delhi and i used to pay 150 for all the channels and now i pay Rs665 and i don't even have most sports channels and zero HD channels.
If you want TenHD you have to pay Rs75 for it, what kind of retarded price is that for a AD supported channel.
Im sure these dth operators have more than 500% profit margins and this digitization is helping them to get even more customers everyday.

Only reason i haven't thrown my tata sky box is because i got its PlusHD box with 500GB hdd for really cheap (2k) in 2011 and now i cannot watch tv without recording/pausing feature.
took Airtel annual pack of all HD and SD channels for 5000/ ( after airtel money cashback )
420/ approx and annual payment otherwise reasonably good deal
650/ monthly before that

Reliance Big TV launches free access offer

Direct-to-home (DTH) player Reliance Big TV today announced to offer a free access to free-to-air channels up to 500 for five years and pay channels for one year across the country.

The company will also provide a free of cost HD HEVC set top box and pre-booking will open on March 1 for a limited period, Reliance Big TV said in a statement.

"Reliance Big TV is going to mark the beginning of a new dawn in the way Indians have been accessing entertainment on their TV sets. Starting from today, entertainment comes effectively free of cost, with the latest offer," Reliance Big TV Director Vijender Singh said.

Pre-booking amount is Rs 499 and on the receipt of settop box and outdoor unit (ODU), buyers will have to pay the balance amount of Rs 1,500.

To claim loyalty, subscribers need to recharge monthly amount of Rs 300 from second year onwards for all pay channels and on completion of subscription of pay channels continuously for next two years with Reliance Big TV, the subscribers will get back Rs 1,999 as a loyalty (the amounts paid during booking and receipt of the set top box) in form of recharge, the statement said.

Back